1957 rude 10 hp conversion to fuel pump

nwcove

Admiral
ive converted a number of 5.5's and 7.5's to fuel pump ( b&s/mikuni) and they work like a top. has anyone done the conversion on a 10hp with the same style fuel pump...with success? or do/should i look for a bypass cover from a later model and go with an omc pump? ( drill and tap seems like the most economical option with a b&s pump, but i dont want to do it twice!!)

64osby

Admiral
Re: 1957 rude 10 hp conversion to fuel pump

I did the Minkuni pump under the carb, fed with the nipple off the manifold on a '58 QD19 Johnson 10. It has worked great.

Pics on the last post if you want to see- http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=533642

I do have a '57 Rude 10 that I will be using a bypass cover, because I have one. Will still use the Minkuni pump, but maybe in a different location.

I been wondering if it would be possible to trim the pulse input tube on the Minkuni and fit it over or in the bypass cover hole with a gasket and a custom plate, much like the OEM pumps

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

thanks osby, i had concerns about the volume of fuel supplied vs demand at wot but the b&s ( mikuni) pump is also rated at 14L/hr so it should work.
with the under carb mounting, what is the pump fastened to? no room to side mount on the 10hp?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

It is tight, so you dont really need to mount it at all, lol.

I have also made brackets and mounted them at the rear, above the plugs.