Got caught in bonkers low tide, sucked mud, over heated, motor dead. Evinrude 88spl

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So... This past weekend, we got stuck at the ramp in the lowest crap I've ever seen. It was like 1 foot.... the motor (Evinrude 88spl) hit the mud, over heated..... shut down, and smoked for a bit. Now, she get's no power at all. I'm ready to trouble shoot this sucker, and am looking for any pointers, on how to figure out what's dead in there, and any part you think I should maybe just straight up replace. Fishin' season is ticking away. Gotta get out there!

Fish on,
-Gregg

P.S. I am aware of the missing plug cable. (But that's probably about it! lol)

Attachments

• IMG_6221.jpg
    IMG_6221.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6223.jpg
    IMG_6223.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6225.jpg
    IMG_6225.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Got caught in bonkers low tide, sucked mud, over heated, motor dead. Evinrude 88s

Well it sounds like you need to take a compression test and a spark test and post results. If both are good, we can see what else is wrong, and fix it.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Got caught in bonkers low tide, sucked mud, over heated, motor dead. Evinrude 88s

At the moment, when I turn the key, nothing happens at all.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When turning the key to start, It get's power from the main line, as well as 2 places coming out of the Starter Solenoid (which looks kinda like hell), Then, a line runs to the starter motor. no power there. Should there be? Perhaps the starter Solenoid is shot?

-G

Attachments

• IMG_6229.jpg
    IMG_6229.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6230.jpg
    IMG_6230.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6231.jpg
    IMG_6231.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6232.jpg
    IMG_6232.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 0
  • gopro-dive-housing-m.jpg
    gopro-dive-housing-m.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 0

dodgeboy1979

Seaman Apprentice

When turning the key to start, It get's power from the main line, as well as 2 places coming out of the Starter Solenoid (which looks kinda like hell), Then, a line runs to the starter motor. no power there. Should there be? Perhaps the starter Solenoid is shot?

-G

there should be when you turn the key the solenoid will send power down that cable to the starter.

Blazinmonkey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

can you turn the fly wheel?
check the fuse at the battery then the one under the hood...

Will Bark

Lieutenant

All of those connections need to be cleaned to "shiney Bright" and the fuse checked in the connector by the solenoid; also check your connections at the battery especially the ground connection at the motor end. Good luck

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Perhaps that's the culprit. That would be super, since it's not a crazy expensive part (what's the occasion?!). I found it on Ebay, for $16. I'd be thrilled if that's all I killed.....

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi. I can. The fuse under the hood is good (at least it appears to be....) . I don't know of a fuse at the battery. There are none that I can spot. When I turn the key, I see 12V at the solenoid, so, I Suppose I'm good up to that.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That solenoid doesn't look to good. Use a auto jumper cable to connect the upper large cable on the solenoid, to the starter connection. At that point the starter should spin and the motor will crank. That should get you thru the compression test.

What did you do to that motor? Catch it on fire? Leave it in the rain for 20 years?

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just got this boat. I water tested it only once, before this incident. It started right up and ran like a champ. But, it did just badly overheat. Why, may I ask, do you say that? (I'm asking seriously)

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good tip. I will try that. I have a new Solenoid on the way as well

emoney

Commander

Not to speak for anyone else, but I think he's referencing what looks to be a thin layer of grease on the powerhead and components. I've seen guys spray grease all over on boats that spend quite a bit of time in salt water. After just a couple of trips out, it "looks" yucky, but it's just that grease film. Evidenced by where you can see your handprint wipe on the starter. However, that grease should also be "de-greased" and freshened up from time to time (like now, for example, lol).

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Holy Hell. I touched a big ol' wire to those 2 points, and turned the battery on. It immediately started cranking and scared the crap out of me!! awesome. What a relief to see life in the motor. The key was OFF, and it started cranking. I guess I shoulda figured that I was jumping power directly to it.. SO.... I suppose I should put the key to RUN, turn the battery on, and then touch the wire to try and start her? Or, do I not touch it till the new Solenoid comes in?

hotshot123

Petty Officer 3rd Class

since you can get it to spin, now you need to be doing the compression and spark tests

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

No, I saw the anti corrosion grease on the motor. I also see what looked like burned paint on the heads and rust stains. The pictures are not real clear......The solenoid looks melted or cracked...again not too clear.
Was the starboard head replaced at some point?

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, I saw the anti corrosion grease on the motor. I also see what looked like burned paint on the heads and rust stains. The pictures are not real clear......The solenoid looks melted or cracked...again not too clear.
Was the starboard head replaced at some point?

I've only owner the boat for a few weeks, and unfortunetly, had to invest mich time and $$, on it's pitiful trailer. (which is now like new). The seller was (and is) a complete jerk and won't answer any questions or provide any info. So, I don't know much about the history. Remember, the cause of it's lack of power, was a nasty overheat.... she was white smoking pretty good... So, this may be the cause of what you see. It's definitly the cause of the Solenoid. I have a new one comming. I welcome any suggestions or thoughts for TLC on the motor, and any parts to replace. I'd like her less ugly, and as healthy as I can get her..

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Compression test, overheats destroy motors.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was just gonna change the Solenoid and try to start her up. I'm hoping that perhaps she is OK, and that's all that's wrong... or maybe some other festive stuff melted as well... I'm not fond of the word "Destroy". I'm hoping it survived. It would be a huge setback if I have any major motor issues. I've never done a compression test. I don't have a tester either. If absolutely necessary I'll get one, and read up on Google to do it.....

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Compression testers are cheap ($20-$30) and it's easy to do now that you have means of turning the engine over (jumper-cables)

Once you know the compression results on each cylinder you'll have a clearer picture of the damage that may or may not have caused by over-heating the engine.

Buy one and use it if only for the piece of mind.