Got caught in bonkers low tide, sucked mud, over heated, motor dead. Evinrude 88spl

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Got caught in bonkers low tide, sucked mud, over heated, motor dead. Evinrude 88s

Compression testers are cheap ($20-$30) and it's easy to do now that you have means of turning the engine over (jumper-cables)

Once you know the compression results on each cylinder you'll have a clearer picture of the damage that may or may not have caused by over-heating the engine.

Buy one and use it if only for the piece of mind.

Noted. I suppose it's time I cut my teeth on Compression test. I'm on it!

Question: My motor cranks like a mad man when set to ALL, but, kinda wimpy on 1 battery (though starts nice and easy [BEFORE I blew it up, that is...]). Does it matter for the test!?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Got caught in bonkers low tide, sucked mud, over heated, motor dead. Evinrude 88s

Remove all spark plugs for the compression test. You can use 1 or 2 batteries as is convenient.

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Noted. I suppose it's time I cut my teeth on Compression test. I'm on it!

Question: My motor cranks like a mad man when set to ALL, but, kinda wimpy on 1 battery (though starts nice and easy [BEFORE I blew it up, that is...]). Does it matter for the test!?

I'd go with 1 battery for the test. With no plugs in the cylinders there will be no resistance other than the compression tester itself. You won't need 2 battery's.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'd go with 1 battery for the test. With no plugs in the cylinders there will be no resistance other than the compression tester itself. You won't need 2 battery's.

After a good charge with C-tek MUS 4.3, it's cranking great on 1 battery, so, I'll do that. =)

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I replaced the Starter Solenoid and she cranks like a champ, but, no spark.... I am trying the Power Pack next, I have one on the way. If it's not that, then, my guess is the Stator. Will see...

Attachments

• IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 0

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I replaced the Starter Solenoid and she cranks like a champ, but, no spark.... I'm thinking Stator. I've lost one of those on a previous outboard, and had the same scenario... Much more expensive for this one though!! Thoughts?

I hope that's a marine grade solenoid....

From what I've read on here in many threads, an automotive one will cause you headaches.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hope that's a marine grade solenoid....

From what I've read on here in many threads, an automotive one will cause you headaches.

Yep. =)

emoney

Commander

Out of curiosity, did you do the compression test? It's a simple as put a spark plug in, ftr. I'm only reminding you of that, because before I spent any money anywhere, I'd want to know what the end results netted. Not to be a "negative nancy", but you wouldn't be the first person to buy all new electrical components just to find out he'd dropped a cylinder (or two). Any time there's a major overheat, or when it's a "new-to-me" motor, a compression test is priority #1. Good luck and keep us posted.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Out of curiosity, did you do the compression test? It's a simple as put a spark plug in, ftr. I'm only reminding you of that, because before I spent any money anywhere, I'd want to know what the end results netted. Not to be a "negative nancy", but you wouldn't be the first person to buy all new electrical components just to find out he'd dropped a cylinder (or two). Any time there's a major overheat, or when it's a "new-to-me" motor, a compression test is priority #1. Good luck and keep us posted.

Morning! Cool of you to check in again. I did not do that, but, I am actually looking into the testers this morning. I hope Miss Nancy is wrong... I need this sucker to work! Budget has been crapola, or I'd have done this already. Any of these do the trick?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Gas-Eng..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item4167c8a9f9&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Actron-Engi..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item35bfbc428b&vxp=mtr

2manband

Seaman

Morning! Cool of you to check in again. I did not do that, but, I am actually looking into the testers this morning. I hope Miss Nancy is wrong... I need this sucker to work! Budget has been crapola, or I'd have done this already. Any of these do the trick?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Gas-Eng..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item4167c8a9f9&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Actron-Engi..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item35bfbc428b&vxp=mtr

If you don't want to buy a compression tester (i.e. you'll never use it again) you can borrow one for free from several of the mega-autoparts chains. They will put a deposit on your credit card that is refunded when you return the tool. Keep in mind that the portion of the gauge that threads into the spark plug hole may be long enough to cause interference with the piston. It would be a good idea to turn it over by hand first before cranking, just to make sure you won't have any interference. This tends to be more of an issue with the small outboards, so you'll probably be OK, but check by hand first.

You can also borrow lots of useful tools this way - like a harmonic balance puller in case you have to pop the flywheel off to access the ignition parts, or a slide hammer for pulling grease seals, etc.

I want to reinforce how important it is to check compression before spending any more money on parts. If the overheat caused scoring on the cylinder walls and you lost compression, no amount of ignition parts will fix it. You'll either have to rebuild it or look for another powerhead.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Either of those works, or you can spend half as much and buy this one;
http://www.harborfreight.com/flex-drive-compression-tester-92697.html

You can usually find a 20% off coupon when ordering too. I bought this one and it works fine for the limited amount of use it gets at my house.

Crap, I was just writing you, to tell you I got one, but it was $26! argh!! lol. The one you linked is peanuts, but, In Store Only. Maybe I Should have shopped around more. Anywho, I've got one... Soon as I have someone to turn the key, I will give it a whirl! (I know I can jump it, but, I'd just rather turn the key...)

njrextreme

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another thing to check is you water impellor/water pump if you think you sucked up mud. No need to overheat it again.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another thing to check is you water impellor/water pump if you think you sucked up mud. No need to overheat it again.

When is cranks, clean water pisses out nicely. Would you say that's a good sign the Impeller and pump are ok?

-Gregg

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When is cranks, clean water pisses out nicely. Would you say that's a good sign the Impeller and pump are ok?

-Gregg

Not really because you have it connected to a garden hose that has enough pressure to force water thru it. It's good that it's clear, but drop the LU and have a real good look.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not really because you have it connected to a garden hose that has enough pressure to force water thru it. It's good that it's clear, but drop the LU and have a real good look.

I tried, and failed miserably! lol. Maybe I'll be brave enough to try again soon..

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Either of those works, or you can spend half as much and buy this one;
http://www.harborfreight.com/flex-drive-compression-tester-92697.html

You can usually find a 20% off coupon when ordering too. I bought this one and it works fine for the limited amount of use it gets at my house.

OK... So, finally, after much time, I did the compression test. I just installed a new Power Pack, and tested the 4 cylinders.

3 of them read 120 on the nose, and one of them read about 118. Am I in the clear?

Motor cranking well, water pissing, but, no dice. I am thinking it's the Stator.... Thoughts?

-G

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Those are very good compression numbers. The accepted range is +/- 10% between cylinders. Looks like you didn't do any cylinder damage. Now, get the impeller replaced so it won't do it again.