Which one is the Mercury outboard owner...For OldMercsRule

jbjennings

Captain
Hey Merc,
Can you guess which one of these people in the photo is a long-time owner of pull-start Mercury outboards?????
Sorry, I couldn't resist. I like Mercury's myself and own a few, but have had some that were a little cold-natured.:D
Later,
JBJ​

Attachments

• article-1220536-06D40AE6000005DC-59_468x358.jpg
    article-1220536-06D40AE6000005DC-59_468x358.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 0

OldMercsRule

Captain
Re: Which one is the Mercury outboard owner...For OldMercsRule

LOL, yup I know the feelin'. :p

Most of me Mercs are starter fired, n' maybe I'm jus' familier with startin' 'em as I don't find 'em as difficult ta start as many posters claim. That said: I have a 1987, (I thought it was older butt: jus' verified the seriel #) 25 HP pull start that I got low on fuel towin' a boat with an 1150 I had jus' purchased a couple weeks back or soooo, that the feller I bought it from said the LU (which was stuck in forward), "slipped".

I borrowed the feller's old tub of a boat n' trailer fer a day ta take the boat up North of Seattle to the Lake (where RR island is located), ta off load the ol' 1150 out on the island fer use next season, (maybe this winter if the Lake stays ice free, as I bought that 14' Cobra I'm dyin' ta hot rod around in). :eek: :D ;)

After I towed it there, (2 & 1/2 miles down the Lake), I decided ta fire the old girl up, (I had fired her on the muffs prior ta buyin' it). I had ta fire her up out in the lake as it was stuck in forward butt: the LU didn't slip like he had said, (I wished I had run the tower up the lake instead of towin' it). :)

The 1150 not only looked real good started easy n' ran good butt: the LU did not slip n' she got up n' ran fine.

Anyhoo I took some of his fuel n' dumped it into the 25HP tank which was runnin' low from towin' his hog of a boat the 1150 was on back to the ramp, (me thinks it was E-10 n' had some H2O in it).

Anyway: (long story), the next time I went to the Lake the darn 25 HP would not start, n' I got new plugs fer her and she still would not fire, (gotta drain the carb now when I get roundtoit).

Soooooo put the 25 HP in the shed on RR island n' I put the ol' 9.9 HP Johnny with 'lectric start, (gettin' lazy now), on me 14' aluminum skiff that I use in the winter months ta go out to RR island. The Johnny sure is slow cornpared to the ol' 25 HP.

My arm was real sore from pullin' the ol' cord on the 25 HP Merc, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........, kinda like the feller in yer attached pic. ^^^^^

Only an orpinion, (I will get out me spark tester n' verify spark on the 25HP prior ta drainin' the ol' carb), as to the reason she wouldn't start: "yer milage may vary". JR
:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i found on my old inlines, if i stepped on the primer bulb, it would put enough gas, into it to start it the first time.

OldMercsRule

Captain

I've never had any trouble startin' any of me inlines if they don't have an issue that needs repair, (which thay usually don't if they belong ta me n' I have fixed what was wrong when I bought 'em). ;)

#1 I always have a real hot battery 750CCA or more.

#2 I always try to have fresh 89 octain 50 to 1 pre mix (or maybe more likely: 40 to 1) non E-10 fuel, (a few times I have run E-10 butt I sure try not to). The USSR, (central corntrol :p ), is gonna make it more n' more difficult ta not use E-10 in 2010 I hear tell.

#3 I always pump the bulb 'til she is real firm, n' choke her, (if I don't here the click of the electro magnet pull the butterflys over the top two carbs, [all three on the 1000s n' me 950]), I pull the cowl n' choke her manually, n' boom they always start. NO PROBLEMO. They may sputter n' die a time or two if the weather is real REAL cold, (like now: 10-20 degrees F at RR island), butt: they always do the job n' fire off.

I have never pull started any of me inlines6s, (did have ta start me folks 1966 500 Merc by hand a time or two as the points ran the battery fairly low a few times, grrrrrrrrrr. (That is why I steer clear of the point fired CDIs).

Me overpriced $.02. JR

jbjennings

Captain

Oh good grief, Merc.
I was just messin' with ya. Besides, I wasn't even referring to the electric start motors. I'm talking 20 and 25hp's, and some 9.8's. If those bad boys are even slightly out of tune or the carb is less than immaculate, or if the choke cables have a little slack, they're bears to start cold. My dad caught me under the chin when I was 10 or 12 and sent me from the 2nd seat to the nose of our 15ft duracraft boat on one of his super hard, super long pulls on that old 20hp from about '72.:) He worked in the oil fields for many years and his arms were like oak trees.
Mercs ain't all bad. :D
BTW, this guy in the pic is a professional arm wrestler and that arm is really weird looking.
Later,
JBJ

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

BTW, this guy in the pic is a professional arm wrestler and that arm is really weird looking.
Later,
JBJ

I thought that was his beer drinking arm !!!!

OldMercsRule

Captain

Jbjennings states: Oh good grief, Merc.

Yeah Charlie Brown! :D

I was just messin' with ya.

I know. :D

Besides, I wasn't even referring to the electric start motors.

I know butt: Tashasdaddy did. ;)

I'm talking 20 and 25hp's, and some 9.8's.

I have three 25 HP Mercs, the story in me reply ^^^ was about me oldest one, (hadta fix a switch box on it a couple of years back toooooo) got a used one fer real cheap.

Me 1989 25HP Merc starts and runs real good, butt: I broke the recoil last year n' need ta put a 'lectric start on it so me Sweetie can start it, (when I get roundtoit). It has forward steering n' throttle corntrols on a vintage "Skagit" I run.

I lost spark on me 1996 25 HP Merc last year too n' it is a "Sea Pro" with a speacial n' wierd REAL SPENDY stator n' switch box, (another of yer points wink wink), that I'm cornvertin' to the standard much less expensive set up like the other two have, (makin' an adapter which is real easy ta do outa aluminum). Soooooo yer right. Two outa me three Mercs haven't been as trouble free as me 1974 Johnny 25HP was, as it always started. Now me inlines are another story: JBJ!!!!! They always start.
:D:cool:

If those bad boys are even slightly out of tune or the carb is less than immaculate, or if the choke cables have a little slack, they're bears to start cold.

Mine all start fine, (all real easy to start even in real cold weather), except when the recoil breaks or the stater/switchbox lays down.

My dad caught me under the chin when I was 10 or 12 and sent me from the 2nd seat to the nose of our 15ft duracraft boat on one of his super hard, super long pulls on that old 20hp from about '72. He worked in the oil fields for many years and his arms were like oak trees.

I know they aren't all bad, they are mostly good 'specially the OLD ONES!!! I really like those mid 1960s to late 1970s 20HP Mercs; n' those old girls were real screamers.

Later,
JBJ

I'm with Ken, I thought is was from beer drinkin' too. JR

aganser

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh good grief, Merc.
I was just messin' with ya. Besides, I wasn't even referring to the electric start motors. I'm talking 20 and 25hp's, and some 9.8's. If those bad boys are even slightly out of tune or the carb is less than immaculate, or if the choke cables have a little slack, they're bears to start cold. My dad caught me under the chin when I was 10 or 12 and sent me from the 2nd seat to the nose of our 15ft duracraft boat on one of his super hard, super long pulls on that old 20hp from about '72.:) He worked in the oil fields for many years and his arms were like oak trees.
Later,
JBJ

You ought to try a KG 7 Hurricane or a Mark 25H Racer with the magneto locked on full advance!! :D

And when you get one started, hold on!! :eek:

Bob