High Speed Boat meets Large Wake - Video Link

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: High Speed Boat meets Large Wake - Video Link

There have been 3 or 4 threads on this same video already..

tpenfield

Staff member

this thing has gone viral . . .it is on many forums, etc.

haulnazz15

Captain

Sorry, I browsed through a couple of the forums on here and didn't see it. I didn't go to the off-topic or dockside chat though. Video is a good graphic reminder of how not to operate your boat at high speeds. Figured it'd be worth people to see it in the General Boating section.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Almost funny seeing the driver be the first to hit the floor. What was he jockeying around with in his left hand... trim tabs?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Almost funny seeing the driver be the first to hit the floor. What was he jockeying around with in his left hand... trim tabs?

Throttle....? Or is that the wrong side

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Hopefully he knocked some sense into himself when hit the deck..... It looked like he was going too fast already the way everyone was getting jarred before he hit the wave.........

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Definitely an example of why it means life and limb to sit your bloody rear in the seats while underway at speed.

It would have been at least somewhat more managable to hold on if everyone was in their seats and not quite nearly as violent to the faces.

The middle woman looked like the first that would be ejected from the boat if the speed and water conditions had gotten any worse.

I definitely took this video and edited it with text and titles for my own personal boater safety video example of what NOT to do.

It will come in handy along with other free instructional videos should I have to cover boater safety with a wife if I get married or kids along with that later in life.

haulnazz15

Captain

He was operating the throttles, but wasn't being proactive with curing the throttle before hitting the wake. The throttles are on the left side on many go fast boats. They're all lucky that when the operator hit the deck, he knocked the throttles to idle, otherwise the could have continued full throttle with everyone on the deck and with no one there to steer!

CC245

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definitely an example of why it means life and limb to sit your bloody rear in the seats while underway at speed.

It would have been at least somewhat more managable to hold on if everyone was in their seats and not quite nearly as violent to the faces.

The middle woman looked like the first that would be ejected from the boat if the speed and water conditions had gotten any worse.

I definitely took this video and edited it with text and titles for my own personal boater safety video example of what NOT to do.

It will come in handy along with other free instructional videos should I have to cover boater safety with a wife if I get married or kids along with that later in life.

Actually many of the big Go-fast boat have stand-up bolsters. So it is not unusual for everyone to be standing, your legs act as shock absorbers. Of course PFD's and helmets are also a good idea on a high speed run.

Maclin

Admiral

I have seen this on CNN now too. It looks like to me the driver passed out after that first big hit that made his head go left real hard, when the next one hit he was already out for the count and took it on the face, his arms were limp at his side. That is what race car drivers experience (and what arguably killed Earnhardt Sr.), and the reason for all their head harness gear.

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have seen this video many times. And just the way the fell so fast seem to me that they should have been sitting down. looks like all of them slipped and lost their balance.

Why the heck would all of them be standing up anyway? Especially at that speed.

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How bout the guy sitting on the sun deck, even tho he got off before they got going really fast no one rides there on my boat!

haulnazz15

Captain

I have seen this video many times. And just the way the fell so fast seem to me that they should have been sitting down. looks like all of them slipped and lost their balance.

Why the heck would all of them be standing up anyway? Especially at that speed.

It was mentioned by CC245, but I'll reiterate. The go-fast boats generally have seats with drop-down bolsters which allows you to stand up when going fast. Which do you think affords you more control, sitting on a seat or standing with you back braced against the seat? The answer is the second option. Your legs absorb the shock of the waves, as well as allowing you to leverage your weight better. They also have grab handles on the gunnels by each seat, the dash, and the rear of the captains chairs. The issue here is that they all should have had life vests on when running WOT, and likely helmets as seen by the guy with the gash on this head.

The boat operator had probably never jumped a wake at full throttle before and learned about it the hard way. He nearly killed several people including himself, but got lucky with just some hospital bills.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This would also be a prime example of when to always use a kill lanyard. If he had not accidentally hit the throttles when he fell they would probably all have been in the water and no telling where the boat would have ended up. I don't always wear mine but if the water is rough or we are doing something out of the ordinary I wear it.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Awhile back a very dear friend of mine had a flatbottom jet boat that he'd rebuilt. Hopped up Berkley Jet drive and basically a dirt track sprint car small block Chevy powerplant with nitros. Had over $10,000 invested in that engine. Less than 20 hrs on it and one day was trying to impress someone with an attack on a larger wake. Whole boat came out of the water twice! Second time it landed there was $10,000 worth of engine sitting in the bottom of the boat. Bent crank, bent rods, broken pistons and 2 wasted aluminum heads.

All I could think of was wasn't that fun! Guess some folks have more money than they know what to do with. BTW no one was hurt.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have a couple of comments. Counter to a lot of comments here, this guy was very experienced. His use of the throttles was to keep from over-revving if the props caught air off of the wakes. And his hand above that is working the trim tabs for control as well. The dumb part was operating with people standing that were not inside the two drop down helm seats, AND the guy sitting on the engine hatch/sundeck while he was going above wakeless. The fact is they were part of a Poker Run, and in an organized event I agree they should've been wearing life jackets. I do NOT want mandatory adult PFD laws though. Needs to be part of the event.

Personally, I think there was some sort of failure. Not many wave/wake combos would do that, but a failed steering or gimbal component could. I've had similar happen with a worn gimbal ring. I was out of the throttle and reentered after a little leap and she hooked to port hard and damn near stopped. I was going around 40, and that was violent enough for me :eek:

This is posted on another thread here on iboats:

Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke hus back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue. This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend

haulnazz15

Captain

That's some excellent information. I assumed he had little experience with the racing because he wasn't wearing any gear and didn't appear to have the kill-switch lanyard attached to him. I can't chock it up to mechanical failure though, as the part of the wake I saw in the video appeared to be pretty large and crossed at a narrow angle which could have caused the bow to dig in unevenly causing the boat to veer hard. Either way, I'm glad they all survived and will likely be wearing safety equipment whenever participating in high speed runs and Poker Run activities.

I also agree on not making mandatory PFD's for adults, as it punishes the many for the mistakes of the few.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That's some excellent information. I assumed he had little experience with the racing because he wasn't wearing any gear and didn't appear to have the kill-switch lanyard attached to him.

Either way, I'm glad they all survived and will likely be wearing safety equipment whenever participating in high speed runs and Poker Run activities.

I also agree on not making mandatory PFD's for adults, as it punishes the many for the mistakes of the few.

Definitely glad that all were able to walk out of that alive, that impact force was only a couple of percentage points short of causing fatalities. There's enough tragedies and accidents, don't need anymore.

Unfortunately, so many people find out the hard way the consequences of complacency, neglect, or recklessness on the water.

Even if the skipper and the adjacent passenger were able to safely sit up in a chair, he allowed the other passengers stand underway at +50mph speeds. On that boat, that's probably as safe as sitting/laying down a boat's stern swimdeck while underway.

I'll stay out of the PFD debate though, but I definitely recommend wearing a PFD in all situations, especially on high speed runs. I wear mine anytime I am driving my bowrider alone.

To sum it up, the buck stops with the skipper, that person is responsible for life and limb.

I always remember that right before I ever turn the ignition key.