My neighbor is a flake

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What kind of person would have a large branch fall from his tree landing in his neighbors yard and then go and make a cut directly on the property line . The part in his yard he removes ,the part in my yard he leaves.....what a jerk

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: My neighbor is a flake

Now that its cut smaller, it should be easier to drag it back into his yard. :D

Ibl0wstuffup

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where I live what lands over your property line is your responsibility to clean up. It's not the most neighborly thing to do though.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I take it you guys don't talk much then ???

scoyt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is it small enough now to flip over into his yard?

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

I came home from work one day to find the neighbors daughter had hired a tree crew to do some trimming on my trees. They had taken the one whole side off the tree at the property line, including one limb at the bottom that was aprox. 2.5 ' in dia. and it stuck straight out for about 6' and then ended. I took one look at their trucks and told the foreman to shut it down and call his boss and tell him to get his butt over here. When the owner of the co. showed a few minutes later I told him " Brett your not going to leave my tree like that are ya" He replied no Rick I`m not, if I wouldve known it was your place I wouldnt have touched it. I asked him how much to just take it down, he replied you buy the beer this weekend for the boat and I said, dont I normally. If she wouldve just asked me about it I had already been talking to him about taking it down. We`ve know each other our whole lives. Seems his foreman was the one that looked at the job and with what she paid to have it trimmed I couldve had the whole tree down.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I take it you guys don't talk much then ???

^^^^^^^Ditto! ^^^^^^

So, it was the neighbor who did this expert arborist work or was it a fly by night professional?

TilliamWe

Banned

What kind of person would have a large branch fall from his tree landing in his neighbors yard and then go and make a cut directly on the property line . The part in his yard he removes ,the part in my yard he leaves.....what a jerk

Did it damage something in your yard? Maybe he thought he shouldn't remove it before your insurance company came to look at the resulting damage. Which is a good idea.

Now if it just fell on open ground, yeah, he should have cleaned the whole thing up. But maybe he thought it was valueable firewood that you might want, so it's a gift to you? (Still I would have cut it up and stacked it for you)

Idlespeedonly

Good neighbor or not, its courtesy. Its your limb, clean it up.

rivermouse

UPDATE.. I just talked to the city and learned there is a CITY ORDINANCE that requires the owner of the tree to be responsible for the clean up.. Bob. I didnt see who cut the limb on his property. I assume he borrowed a saw. thanks for the advice

foodfisher

Captain

Fear of trespassing, dog, itchy trigger finger? Were you home?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

A good neighbor would have removed the whole branch or at least spoke to you about it. Maybe his saw quit? i'm w the drag it onto his property crowd, w a note attached " Thanks, (insert name) but I really don't want your branch "

Petty Officer 1st Class

People dont talk anymore. shoot your neighbor a text msg.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hang on a minute... You have gone to the city over this and don't even know if he cut it, someone was hired to cut it or even if he has a chain saw and you think HE is the flake? What in the world is wrong with simply talking to him, he is your neighbor after all...

Not to be a horses rear but come on, you want a good neighbor put at least minimal effort into being one.

I have to agree with bubba, although I might have stated it a bit more softly. A huge problem in this country is that local governments are constantly making new regulations because one person complains about something. People just go to the government (or even right to lawyers) instead of working things out one their own.

Sorry, but you should have talked to your neighbor first.

Sea ya...

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live on a small section in town and as such I hardly ever get a chance to get my chain saw out, so I would be more than happy for that to happen to me.....ha!

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'd toss it back in his yard

rivermouse

I would like to explain more if I may. For years I have helped out this neighbor every time he asked me and never charged him a dime. I have repaired leaking faucets, broken electrical switches and other electric problems, opened his daughters jammed car hood, helped him remove and replace windows in his house, and loaned to him an expensive weed eater after his was stolen etc etc. He has never repaid this kindness,never. Now the first chance he gets to save me some work which really isn't my responsibility he doesn't. My saw broke and I have painful arthritis in both hands and was very disappointed when I saw that this neighbor made sure he didnt remove even one inch of the fallen log which was touching my property... I guess this makes me the flake....I dont think so

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I agree. If it was his tree and a branch fell off, he should clean up the mess. I can't believe he actually made the effort to clean it up only to stop at the property line thinking the rest is your responsibility. What happened to common sense? I would ask him when he plans on cleaning up the rest of the branch......

rivermouse

So what is wrong with simply going over and talking? I don't get it.
I guess because he has made it more complicated . I am not good at pointing out to a fool why he has acted like a fool and would like to avoid it.....At this point I may just leave the friggin mess hanging .He is the one who will see it all the time not me...It is his mess not mine.I am going outside and take a picture of it and post later..thanks