How much Dynamite needed to Separate lower from Upper outdrive?

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know what it takes to separate the lower from the upper outdrive? All the bolts are out, and I have been twisting and turning and lifting 5 hours. I have the upper hanging from a hoist about 4 inches off my bench. I can get side to side movement, and get the back up about 1/4 inch.. but the front wont budge. Any ideas?

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How much Dynamite needed to Separate lower from Upper outdrive?

There were 2 bolts under the prop, 2 bolts under the fin on each side. The book reads just lift and rock back and forth.. uh huh...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Disregard, I thougt this was a Merc drive :redface:

Last edited:

Petty Officer 1st Class

There were 2 bolts under the prop, 2 bolts under the fin on each side. The book reads just lift and rock back and forth.. uh huh...
i thought this was mercruiser outdrive as well.....

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your missing two more bolts and a nut. The nut is in front of drive near shift mech. The 3/8 allen bolt for the anode trim tab needs removed so you can get the underneath 5/16 allen bolt out

Um, on an OMC Cobra? I got it off, with help from my neighbors nephew. But I only had 2 bolts under the prop (the anode book said do not remove), and two bolts on the port side, and two bolts on the starboard side. Nothing else. BUT.. it took shifting the upper to the left, then right, then left then right.. finally to pry bars on both side and as he was turning, I was prying up.