1984 Ebbtide Riviera Restore Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 Ebbtide Riviera Restore Project

There is marine specific paint that can be put on by hand and it looks VERY nice there are a number of boat projects here that have been done this way you should check them out. I agree that the paint isn't quite as strong as a good gelcoat but as I mentioned gelcoat is not easy to work with and if done wrong can turn into a real nightmare, plus it is not cheap when you factor in all tools etc that goes along with it.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the 2 U-hooks on the transom going to use tow straps that will go from the transom to the back of a friends pick-up just to hold the boat in place. Then I have some boat stands that are going to be put in place while I pull the trailer out from underneath the hull. There is 4 stands that I made out of some scrap lumber that was lay around my house. They are build for part of the hull they will be supporting. Those stands are also cushioned some outdoor carpet.

Now that's just to pull the boat off the trailer to get the work done to the trailer. As far as flipping the hull to work on the underneath with preparation, sanding, priming, and painting. I have no idea on how it is going to be flipped. I'm still lost on the part.

Can you post a pic of your boat stands?

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll post some pictures of the boat stands after I get them rebuilt. I had a problem where I didn't brace them correctly, and they kinda broke on me. There wasn't any damage to the hull so that's a good thing. But the basic design of them are just a mock up of a boat trailer the way the boards are ran on them. So I guess we can call it a trailer with no wheels. lol

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well starting next week my boat project is going to have to take the back burner since I will be back to work finally and working lots of hours. Now I do need to get some ideas of what type of paint to use on the boat (brand name, website to purchase from, etc.) I did do some more reading in the forum and I have decided to leave the gelcoat alone for the outside of the boat, and to just use some marine paint. My problem there is I don't know what really would be the best marine paint to use. There is many different ones listed on here, and I have read where there is pros and cons with each one. I am still going to go with the use of gelcoat inside the boat for the fiberglass for the bilage area. I was told by a few people that gelcoat would be better to use inside the boat and just use marine paint outside the boat.

Now with the hull itself after I get the rest of the stringers removed for it the hull will be put on hold for the rest of the year. It isn't staying warm enough outside to mess with fiberglass or anything, and I really want to get to working on the motor. Still working on tearing it apart, but right now I have to wait till Friday when I can purchase a motor stand to put the motor on so I can actually get to working on it. I'm also in the middle of constructing a stand for the outdrive assembly that I can put it on so it doesn't get damaged, and to do a little work on it as well. Not really much has to be done to it. Mostly a paint job, and oil all of the lube points on it. The prop is going to have to be replaced. It curently has the 3 fin prop on it, but will be upgraded to the 4 fin.

Now with the motor I won't be putting many pictures of the motor up on here till I have it on a motor stand and actually get to tearing it apart. Then there will be plenty of pictures posted on here to show the condition of the rebuild.

Finally right now with the hull I'm trying to find a couple of people to help me get the top cap off the hull to actually get to the rest of the stringers and get them removed. Thinking to when I start putting the final part of the inside of the boat together I'm undecided between the carpet floor or just paint it. I know the problem that the carpet can have with it, but I'm more partial to the carpet than anything. Oh' well I have the winter to decide on that one.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Make sure you take some measuremens of EVERYTHING when you remove the cap, once it is removed the hull will want to take on a new shape which can lead to problems down the road. Some will make stringers to use across the hull while the cap is off just to keep the shape/width/etc. the same. They do make a bilge kote that is a paint on surface that is very good for that application.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure you take some measuremens of EVERYTHING when you remove the cap, once it is removed the hull will want to take on a new shape which can lead to problems down the road. Some will make stringers to use across the hull while the cap is off just to keep the shape/width/etc. the same. They do make a bilge kote that is a paint on surface that is very good for that application.

With the hull I was thinking about using tow straps and wrapping arount it to help it keep the shape, and apply those while I'm removing the cap. Would that be something that would work out pretty good?
After I get the rest of the stringers removed from the inside of the hull I was going to put the top cap back on for the winter time, and then when the temp outside get right for glassing and painting remove it again.

With the bilge coat paints where would I be able to find those at?

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

sadly the rain season is here right now. So I can't do much with the hull. I'm jsut working on the motor right now. I finally bought the motor stand, and waiting to put it on there. Will post pics soon.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry I haven't posted anything on here about this boat lately. I also ended up buying a 1971 Tom Sawyer (Spelling Issues with name?). It has a small amount of restore to do to it and I'll get a thread started about it as soon as I bring it home. It should be by the end of this month. I'll also be doing some more work to the Ebbtide, and I will get those pictures up here asap about the progress.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well Sadly I am going to be giving up on this project. With money and trying to re work the transom for a larger motor it just isn't going to work for me. I figured my money with my new project which is my running boat and what this one would cost me. I wouldn't be able to touch this boat for the next 3 years, and I just don't really want it sitting in my drive way that long knowing that I won't be able to really work on it for a few years. I am however going to just give it away to someone for free (trailer not included) for a project boat. I only paid $75.00 for it so I'm not really losing any money on this project. It will give a good chance for someone else to pick this project up and maybe a family can work on it together. Plus all the hard work is already done since I tore everything out of it already. Well anyhow this is a good bye to this boat/project. I'm sad to see it go...

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well this boat has been sold. Even though I put it on craigslist as a free boat the person that picked it up from me gave me $300 for her. I miss her already, and she would have been a good project. Good luck to the new owner on the rebuild, and I let them know about this website. Hopefully they will become a member and post about the rebuild.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Closed at OP request ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.