1989 bayliner fish and ski 19' NEED ADVICE????

wcgreer

Seaman Apprentice
I have bought this boat and found some soft spots in the floor. I have removed floor and foam was soaked. I found aboat a foot of wet stringer. I removed all wet wood, foam and replaced the wood and glass. I need to know wether or not the foam has to be replaced and is so what kind and where do i find it. I would also like to know if i can put drain holes through the stringers so that those areas will drain in case water ever gets in there again. Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1989 bayliner fish and ski 19' NEED ADVICE????

The 89 Bayliner was required to have enough flotation foam in it to maintain an upright, level and afloat condition in the even of catastrophic swamping of the boat. Makes it easier to find the survivors when they are w/ the boat. At some point, Bayliner complied w/ that requirement and decreased the amount of glass/resin used to construct the boat. That decreased their costs & lightened the boat, so less weight requiring less foam. The foam's anti-crush properties & it's adherence to all the surfaces it comes in contact w/ all becomes a part of the designed strength of the hull, stringers, bulkheads, deck & cap system. I do not know if your '89 was designed that way or not.

Either way, it's probably not wise to skip the use sufficient flotation foam. Esp if it is part of the structural design of the boat.

US Composites in Fl is a major supplier of most materials used to rebuild glass boats @iBoat restos. 2part, expanding foam. US Comp is very helpful & will help guide you to how much & what type of foam to use. There are other online vendors as well.

You can drill thru the stringers, but make sure that you seal the exposed wooden stringer inside the drilled holes.

You can check thru some other threads about mid-late 1980's & early 90's Bayliner threads to see how they were put back together. The iBoats server lists similar threads at the bottom of your resto thread: