Sea Ray 210 with 96' Lincoln Town Car......Possible?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Trailer has good 2 axle surge brakes that work well. Engine and drive train is basically a F-150 miniturtized.

Can this be done?

Not sure what the boat weighs.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sea Ray 210 with 96' Lincoln Town Car......Possible?

Things can always be done just is it safe. How far you towing is it mostly flat or hills? Is the hitch rated for the weight? You may have a bigger problem getting the boat up out of the water.

bekosh

Lieutenant

According to the info at TrailerBoats.com, The TC has a 5000lb limit with the tow package.

YearMakeModelEngineTow Limit
1996LincolnTown Car4.6 V-85000
Requires Towing Package, 3.27:1 axle ratio. Also engine-oil cooler if towing long distances.

The 210 Sea Ray is going to be pretty close to that, if not over.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Basically ..... Don't do it. Even if you can go you won't be able to safely stop. I doubt anyone would even mount the proper class tow hitch on it.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I already have the 5k hitch mounted on it. And like I said stopping is not an issue the surge brakes can lock up if pressed hard. I guess I need to find an old sea ray brochure to see its dry weight.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I had a wellcraft 210 cuddie and boat and trailer was right about 5000. As long as it pulls it and you can get up out of the launch ramp. I always believe there is a safety factor out there. I pull some really heavy loads with my 3500 dually way over the limit. I also have pulled double the weight limit on many things out with my old 1500 and take your time and be smart about. Same motor and drivetrain as the f150 and them tards say it will pull 10,000 so I would do it in a hart beat. It seems like half of the can I tow this threads in here the advice you will read you would need a peterbilt to pull about anyhting.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

How far, how fast, and what are your ramp conditions? Those are by far the biggest questions. Short distances and non-highway speeds, to a shallow angle ramp in good shape? Not a problem, I wouldn't think twice about that. 200 miles every weekend at 75 mph to a gravel ramp at a 45 degree angle? hahahahahahha, not a chance!

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a wellcraft 210 cuddie and boat and trailer was right about 5000. As long as it pulls it and you can get up out of the launch ramp. I always believe there is a safety factor out there. I pull some really heavy loads with my 3500 dually way over the limit. I also have pulled double the weight limit on many things out with my old 1500 and take your time and be smart about. Same motor and drivetrain as the f150 and them tards say it will pull 10,000 so I would do it in a hart beat. It seems like half of the can I tow this threads in here the advice you will read you would need a peterbilt to pull about anyhting.

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO THINKS LIKE I DO!

You may wish to check to make sure your trailer brakes are in good shape though.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

My searay 190 (similar to your 210) was 3000# dry, trailer was 1200, fully loaded about 4700#. if your 210 is a bow rider, your dry weight is 3400#, if you have a sundeck, its 3500#. assume the same 1200# for the trailer, and add some fuel and your overloaded.

Pony

Rear Admiral

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO THINKS LIKE I DO!

You mean the wrong way???? Listen I am not one of those guys that thinks you need a truck to pull everything, but to make a decision or give advice on towing soley based on the vehicles drive train is absurd......just plain stupid. The wheel base and vehicle weight have just as much to do with it. We also aren't talking about a tinner her either.....a 4,500lb boat is a different animal. For the record I think the TC would do it, just your logic getting there is unsafe.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

If he has good trailer brakes, stopping will not be a problem. Take it slow and plenty of stopping room. Well is it worth it to go spend at least $10,000 on a used truck? I see farmers overloading their pickups around here daily. (Harvest time is the worst, sometimes there will be a 1/2 ton truck pulling 2 loaded grain wagons with no brakes. Illegal, but the cops here don't care since they all know someone who does it.)

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

Big heavy full frame car, long wheelbase, lots of weight over the rear axle, it'll get the job done as long as the ramps don't suck, you aren't towing in the mountains, the car is good working order, and you tow with common sense.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I presume that is fully boxed frame to be rated so highly?

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mechanically the Lincoln isn't much different than an F-150 of that era. If the transmission, brakes and suspension are in good order it should be fine, though close to the limit.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Trailer has good 2 axle surge brakes that work well. Engine and drive train is basically a F-150 miniturtized.

Can this be done?

Not sure what the boat weighs.

Actually these are sister cars of the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis. That would be your comparison.

Ibl0wstuffup

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you have a limited slip rear axle? What's your rear axle ratio? I would be worried about being able to get back up the ramp. The f150 is gonna have a higher rear axle ratio than your towncar. You might be doing the one wheel peel up the ramp if you get the wheels in the water.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Mechanically the Lincoln isn't much different than an F-150 of that era. If the transmission, brakes and suspension are in good order it should be fine, though close to the limit.
The 97 F150 had that same engine and was rated to tow 7200#. A lot has to do with differences in the transmission, gear ratio, brakes and frame.

Probably going to want an equilizing hitch that works with surge brakes.

halfmoa

Ensign

The 97 F150 had that same engine and was rated to tow 7200#. A lot has to do with differences in the transmission, gear ratio, brakes and frame.

And the cooling system. The chart posted previously indicated the 5000# rating was specifically for the tow package with 3.27:1 axle ratio.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Personally, I'm a sports car and "land yacht" car type of guy. To me pickup trucks are for farmers or construction workers to use in the barnyard or job site. If I had to drive one I'd buy a smaller boat. But that's just my own opinion. Y'all can love em if you like. Both my sons drive them.

My towcar is a classic GM full size full perimeter frame with a V8. Bought new with the factory towing package it was rated at 4500 pounds. I've been pulling a 3500 pound boat rig for 28 years now and it handles the load fine in all conditions. Perfect as a matter of fact. Don't even know the boat is back there. The total 3500 pounds is a verified weight.

If the boat weighs less than the max load it should be no problem. If it were me, I'd weigh the rig to be sure.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

unless you trailer dry, your overloaded. 3500# dry weight, 1200# trailer weight, 300# for fuel and an estimated 200# in gear. that is 5200#.

being somewhat familiar with the panther chassis, I can say this:
can the car physically pull the boat - probably.
will it retrieve the boat on a wet ramp, unless you have a limited slip - I doubt it.
can you legally pull the boat - not unless you get a verified weight that you are below the tow limit.