Sea Ray 210 with 96' Lincoln Town Car......Possible?

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sea Ray 210 with 96' Lincoln Town Car......Possible?

There is an awful lot of worry here about the ramp.. I towed my boat (18' glass bowrider) with an '05 crown vic for years, the trailer setup had the proper 10% tongue weight, so around 310lbs, I never once slipped a tire pulling it out of the water, even on wet ramps (fresh water), and I had an open carrier rear axle. The over hang on these panthers is pretty long, they have a lot of weight on that rear axle.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

There is an awful lot of worry here about the ramp.. I towed my boat (18' glass bowrider) with an '05 crown vic for years, the trailer setup had the proper 10% tongue weight, so around 310lbs, I never once slipped a tire pulling it out of the water, even on wet ramps (fresh water), and I had an open carrier rear axle. The over hang on these panthers is pretty long, they have a lot of weight on that rear axle.

You must have had some really good ramps without much incline... Some of the ones I unload from feel like 45 degrees, and although they are paved, the area immediately before the ramp is not, so the ramp itself is covered with gravel. It is 100% impossible NOT to spin some, even with a 4x4. 2x4's make it up the ramp, but there are black marks by the time they are done.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

Seriously, I never spun a tire in the car so it's not impossible, and half the time my wife was the one pulling me out so I had great visibility of the back of the car and could hear everything. I've used a bunch of ramps at different lakes, none of which had loose rock or gravel on them. I had people ask me at gas stations if my car really could pull the boat up a ramp, there are plenty of non believers. lol. Those 2x4s leaving black marks are probably pickup trucks with empty beds or people that think it's a drag race to get up the ramp.

Honestly the only time I ever spun a tire was pulling my father's waverunner out with my wifes grand cherokee on a sandy ramp, I had to put it in 4wd to get out.. Right after that I pulled my father's pontoon up the same ramp with his shortbed 4x2 F150 with posi and a manual tranny (and a camper shell), didn't slip a tire, but there was plenty of weight on the back end with all that tongue weight.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

A town car would be a better tow vehicle than half the people on this forum are asking about. The 4.6 was a great engine and the transmissions in those were rock solid. Good hitch and a tranny cooler and you are better off than many of the people on this forum. The town car will be a safer tow rig than all the post for accura's, highlanders, rangers, dakotas ect. Drive smart and have fun when you get to the lake.

cptnmcluvin

Seaman

Howdy,

I've towed a 2000 SeaRay 210 BR with a 1989 Chevy caprice w/ 5.0 V8. It's similar to the Lincoln.

Boat and trailer together are close to 5000 lbs.

Caprice worked out but I only went a short distance.

I did have a little trouble with wheels spinning when pulling the boat up a wet ramp.

You could do it with the correct hitch and towing equipment but you'll be maxed out.

Take it easy and be cautious.

Aquaman-PSD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pickup trucks are for farmers or construction workers to use in the barnyard or job site. If I had to drive one I'd buy a smaller boat.

Seriously? thats a pretty ignorant statement but your are entilted to your opinion. I don't live on a farm nor am I in construction anymore and I couldn't get by with a suv or smart car.

The town car will be a safer tow rig than all the post for accura's, highlanders, rangers, dakotas ect.

Easy on my ranger now! I disagree with this comment avidly! I have a ranger 4x4 manual with 4:10's that has no issues towing my 19'er. In my area there are not nice clean flat ramps... so getting out with a 2wd vehicle is loud and smokey. The simple fact is cars are not designed for towing... can they do it? yes... can the OP use his lincoln to tow his rig? yes but unless it is gear properly you will hurt the vehicle. Also if you are going to tow you NEED a trans cooler. I have a manual and I only two or three miles so I don't have one but the auto tranny will heat up quick.

The one thing you have going for you is the one thing that alot of people don't like about lincoln's they are HEAVY. I beleive around 4500#. This will help a lot because I have seen what happens when the rig weighs more that the vehicle in a sharp turn. ouch!

jkust

Rear Admiral

Seriously? thats a pretty ignorant statement but your are entilted to your opinion. I don't live on a farm nor am I in construction anymore and I couldn't get by with a suv or smart car.

I kinda laughed at that one too. Both my next door neighbors own pick up trucks. One owns a computer hardware business and needs the capacity both cargo and towing and the other is a top 100 country singer. I've never know a country singer not to own a pick up truck. He also owns a touring Class A motorhome and he's not retired either so another myth debunked.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Easy on my ranger now! I disagree with this comment avidly! I have a ranger 4x4 manual with 4:10's that has no issues towing my 19'er. In my area there are not nice clean flat ramps... so getting out with a 2wd vehicle is loud and smokey. The simple fact is cars are not designed for towing... can they do it? yes... can the OP use his lincoln to tow his rig? yes but unless it is gear properly you will hurt the vehicle. Also if you are going to tow you NEED a trans cooler. I have a manual and I only two or three miles so I don't have one but the auto tranny will heat up quick.

The one thing you have going for you is the one thing that alot of people don't like about lincoln's they are HEAVY. I beleive around 4500#. This will help a lot because I have seen what happens when the rig weighs more that the vehicle in a sharp turn. ouch!

If you are going to get up set and quote what sombody says dont leave the important words out like where he started of by saying "To me".

Pony

Rear Admiral

If you are going to get up set and quote what sombody says dont leave the important words out like where he started of by saying "To me".

I am pretty sure that Aquaman covered that by saying "you are entitled to your opinion"....

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Apparently he took it personal.

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You may want to consider what your insurer will say if something goes wrong.
Worse case, can you pay for all the liabilities if something horrible happens and your insurance company finds you exceeded limits??
Earlier this week there has been a widespread story of an Excursion loosing a tire while towing a large cruiser...link below.
A LOT of speculation this guy is going to be on the hook for some BIG $$$$ !!!
Just an FYI, I admit to pushing the limits and enjoy being a "minimalist" (admitted cheap too), but I would hate to wipe out an innocent family or bystander:(

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/154209715.html

Pony

Rear Admiral

Worse case, can you pay for all the liabilities if something horrible happens and your insurance company finds you exceeded limits??
Earlier this week there has been a widespread story of an Excursion loosing a tire while towing a large cruiser...link below.
Just an FYI, I admit to pushing the limits and enjoy being a "minimalist" (admitted cheap too), but I would hate to wipe out an innocent family or bystander:(

That happened about 2 exits north of me on the highway. I am pretty sure that was the 3rd time within a week that 41 was shut down due to a trailer/Semi issue.

Aquaman-PSD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also forgot to put an apostrophe in the word "that's" many appologies of course :D

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea I feel kind of bad picking on Rangers and Dakotas. Both proved to be solid alternatives to full sized pickups. I will stick to crossovers when I take lame cheap shots at tow vehicles.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Yea I feel kind of bad picking on Rangers and Dakotas. Both proved to be solid alternatives to full sized pickups. I will stick to crossovers when I take lame cheap shots at tow vehicles.

A ranger can tow about 6,000lbs depending though right? That would tow a 19'er with ease.

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Being able to do something and doing it safe are different things.
I used to tow a tandem flatbed car trailer with a car on it 1.5 times heavier than a "tow" vehicle (VW with 1.6L front wheel drive)...500 miles...alone...every week. It was 20 years ago.
Now I prefer to tow with my Chevy 2500. I drive comfortable and relaxed...
O.

jkust

Rear Admiral

A Ford Ranger with a manual transmission is rated to tow around 3000 lbs. You need the automatic to get it up to the 5000lb rating.

http://www.fordf150.net/2010/2010-ford-ranger-specs.php

Thanks, I didn't catch his year so picked the 2004 model year specs and 6k was at or near the top with the v6. 3k is lower than my minivan so then I retract my earlier statement.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will report pulling a SRV-210 is too much for a town car. Frankly it gives a F-150 w/4.6L a good work. So I will stick with under 19' boats on my panther platform.

bekosh

Lieutenant

That happened about 2 exits north of me on the highway. I am pretty sure that was the 3rd time within a week that 41 was shut down due to a trailer/Semi issue.

I saw the aftermath as I was heading to Oshkosh that day.
After talking with my friends, we decided that it looks like a 34' Sea Ray, which would weigh about 20,000lbs on the trailer. The Ford Excursion is rated for under 10,000lbs.

His insurance company is going to be VERY unhappy with him.
He's just lucky that we aren't talking about a Darwin award for taking out his entire family.
2012-05-25_17-07-51_539.jpg