1972 140 hp Merc I/O running hotter than before

muskrat808

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi - Just had my old Starcraft Holiday out for first run of the season .Temp gauge reading last year was maybe halfway between mid point and the red "danger" zone . Now its 3/4 of the way to the red zone but not yet in it . Stayed that way either at idle or higher RPMs. Preventively replaced the thermostat ,thermostat housing ( with used one ,broke a bolt on the original ) and the complete water pump end of last season . Is this increase in temp reading worrisome or maybe the new normal after the work done ?Though I would think the temp should go down assuming pump replacement was done correctly . Thanks for any input .

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1972 140 hp Merc I/O running hotter than before

and the complete water pump end of last season

Ayuh,... The Raw water pump,..??

Generally,..?? Saltwater, or Freshwater,..??

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Check exhaust elbow and manifold for internal (water passages) corrosion and clogging....

A slow increase in temperature over time is a classic symptom...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

OnllyFreshwater .
Generally ? I don,t understand.

2 water pumps on a sterndrive engine...

One is the circulating pump, on the front of the engine... the other is the seawater pickup pump, in the leg.... Which one did you completely replace last season?

Chris.....

muskrat808

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2 water pumps on a sterndrive engine...

One is the circulating pump, on the front of the engine... the other is the seawater pickup pump, in the leg.... Which one did you completely replace last season?

Chris.....

Replaced thepickup pump in the lower unit of the sterdrive. So is it OK to run at the higher temp as long as the gauge doesn't enter the red zone ? Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No it's not safe. It's telling you there is a problem with the cooling system. You have to find it. What was the condition of the rest of the raw water pump? Did you replace the gaskets? Housing ok?
Is the thermostat stuck shut? Exhaust manifold or riser water passages plugged up? Hose kinked between the drive and the transom shield?