Truck mechanic advice needed

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Today i took my 2005 chevy silverado W/5.3l v8 in for a check engine light problem. Bad evap vent valve. When i went to pick it up i was told i also have a slight leak at the water pump. After talking with the mechanic he told me the leak was in the gasket and not in the water pump itself. So i asked if they can just replace the gasket and was told i needed to have the pump replaced since it had to come off anyway. The truck has 84 thousand miles on it. So my question is do i really need to have the pump replaced or should i just have the gasket replaced. Now i new i had a leak because every now and then it shows up on the driveway. In over a year i have had to add less than a galleon of antifreeze.

Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Truck mechanic advice needed

Well a water pump is about $125 for you if you DIY. Look at the weep hole..... if it is dry then just do the gasket...... if there is a drop of AF in it do the pump. You would not like your truck to strand you someplace....... I would not.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Is it something the average guy can do with basic tools?

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This should take you an hour or less it is a super easy job to do. Pick up a Haynes manual for your truck. It will give you a step by step procedure.The most basic of tools will work just fine.It will also make you familiar with your engine. i have been doing all of my own maintenance/repairs on all my vehicles for years.

matt4574

Recruit

If you take the pump off put a new or reman on it .It will save you in the long run unless you are going to sell it soon. Even if it only takes you a hour it will save you two or more if it starts leaking.

Phantom_II

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just my 2 cents...

Any time my water pump has to come off, for any reason, it gets replaced as well as my timing chain and gears.

Once I'm that far into it, I figure a few dollars worth of parts now, will save a lot of grief down the road.

TilliamWe

Banned

Any chance that it's being cause by DexCool? I'd whine a little bit about that to the dealer, and see if they can do something for you. GM knows DexCool is a defective product that ruins gaskets (just ask any 3.4 or 3.8 V6 owner with a leaking lower intake manifold gasket). By 2005, it should have been updated, but I sure would inquire. Just don't go in there and totally insult their product, that'll put the service manager on the defensive.
Ever thought of stop leak?

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would advise against stop leak.
It's a temp fix.
Pull the pump and replace the gasket. As mentioned, Check the weep hole first.
I work on cars on the side, here would be a judgment call. If you have the money and wouldn't mind/miss the 125 for the pump, Then replace it. Otherwise if money is tight.

As far as the Dexcool. It may be worth a try to ask about it. I have a 2000 3.4L and have the issue. But I thought by '05 they corrected the issues. I could be wrong on that one.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No "correct" dex-cool in my book, I advise all folks with it to lose it at by 50k or 3 years. All garbage.

I would put dex-cool right next to the 350 diesel and Cadillac Cimmaron in the "why Toyota owns GM's market share in 2009" museum. :rolleyes:

TilliamWe

Banned

Hey, nothing wrong with a Cadillac Cimmaron! Just a Chevy Cavalier with lots of $$$$ tacked on!

Your opinion about even the current DexCool is what I was wondering about. I think it's still junk too.
Buzz, I agree, stop leak is supposed to be temporary, but it lasted 5.5 years in my 1987 Chevy van, 2 years in our Ford tractor, 1+ year in my 90 Chevy Van, and never had to be redone, we got rid of the vehicles before the stop leak failed.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Do not be surprised if / when you take it apart ...... there may not be a gasket there! It was a common assembly practice since the surfaces were new to leave the gaskets out.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

OK I think I'm going to go ahead and try changing the water pump myself this weekend. Now my next concern is the DEX COOL if its as bad as everyone is saying should i replace it with the standard Preston? (green stuff) or is there something better?

Bob_VT

Staff member

Flush the system and GO GREEN!!!!! You will not regret it and it will prevent future problems. :)

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

Any chance that it's being cause by DexCool? I'd whine a little bit about that to the dealer, and see if they can do something for you. GM knows DexCool is a defective product that ruins gaskets (just ask any 3.4 or 3.8 V6 owner with a leaking lower intake manifold gasket). By 2005, it should have been updated, but I sure would inquire. Just don't go in there and totally insult their product, that'll put the service manager on the defensive.
Ever thought of stop leak?
god i hope not
i just change the antifreeze in jils 2000 3.8 buick last summer and have never changed the antifreeze in our 2001 yukon xl or my 99 seria 5.7s
haven't had any problems with any of them. no warranty clams on either gmc and only a couple for wiring on buick

edit; i used dex cool on hers when i changed. buick has 120000 yuk xl 70000 and my seria pu is at 175000. it must not be to bad. we have owened all since new so i know no one has messed with them

TilliamWe

Banned

Jax, DexCool is so bad that GM lost a class action lawsuit over it. Nuff said.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

An 01 and a 99 still on original dex cool ? Really you owned them since new ?
Wow that's good in one way that you have had no problems and no failures, I sense than when flushed or changed you will start seeing component failures.
I'm surprised the autos cool correctly and that the dexcool has not turned to mud yet.
As the old saying goes. Some go, Some blow.

GM dexcool intake gasket swaps from Vortec V8's to 60 degree V6's, easy money. :cool:

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

realy all i worried about is the cold temp protection and check that each fall.
i went out and checked and the stuff i use to change-top up with is
GM DEX-COOL approved Prestone antifreeze/coolant 5/150 extended life
its red-orange and i mix 50/50 with distilled water.
it comes i a silver bottle and is all i have used. i have used it in all our toys and any changed all of them going into the first fall we owned them

and ya the pu and yukon have what ever came from the factory. in fact there the only things i never have flushed and drained