1975 Super Sport 16' boat requesting admission to the Starmada! (2nd Splash complete)

BonairII

Commander
Dragged her home a couple hours ago. :D Got her for $475

07f5bd49.jpg

558b7cca.jpg

Started to clean up the green slime etc. and washed windows.

Pulled up wood in bow area(under carpet). In this area, it looks like the PO just threw a couple new boards over the wet/rotted wood that was there. :facepalm: Has some white insulation in there, not sure what it's called but it looks like styrofoam balls pressed into a sheet). Foam is actually dry up there.

I hope he didn't leave wet wood under the main floor, too.:( Probably gonna call the PO and ask him what's in store for me if/when I start yanking up the floor.

Boat trailered very well on the way home. Could barely feel the boat behind me. One tire was low when we got home, and now it's flat.----

I'm tempted to slap a motor on her and splash her this weekend for a shakedown cruise...but I'll need to decide that I'm not going to want to start stripping her down. All depends on what it would cost for new plywood and flotation material.

Anyone got a ballpark estimate of what a new floor/foam will cost?

Last edited:

InMotion

Commander
Re: 1975 Super Sport 16' boat requesting admission to the Starmada!

Nice... very nice!!! More pics. More pics!!!! Are you planning a full rebuild???

Great price to boot!!

Ya... your in... no question there!

IM

BonairII

Commander

09be05ca.jpg

3e202e05.jpg

She's def gonna be torn down at some point, but I'm itching to get her on the water to see how she performs with my 75horse Evinrude. Budget constraints are going to be a major factor in how much(and how soon) rebuilding gets done.

I did find 2 pedestal seats on my local craigslist. Hopefully, I can pick them up tonight.

Boats in the garage now, so I'm going to do some poking/prodding to see if I can get a sense of how good/bad the main floor is.

dozerII

Admiral

Real nice boat at a great price BII, make sure you check over things like steering before you go for a test spin.
Glen

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Very nice find!

Anyone got a ballpark estimate of what a new floor/foam will cost?
You need 4 sheets for the floor and will run you about $140 for 1/2" and $160 for 3/4". The closed cell pink sheet foam will run about $50 for 4 sheets of 3/4". Also, add what you're going to waterproof it with.

BonairII

Commander

Very nice find!

You need 4 sheets for the floor and will run you about $140 for 1/2" and $160 for 3/4". The closed cell pink sheet foam will run about $50 for 4 sheets of 3/4". Also, add what you're going to waterproof it with.

Do most people use 3/4 or 1/2" plywood?

How is the plywood fastened down?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Welcome to the Starmada!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Tin Haven, Bonair. A lot of us are using Arauco ply. I got 4 sheets a Home DePot for less than $30 a sheet. It;s 23/32" which works out to just about 5/8". It worked fine for my floor with one stringer. The SS has two stringers I believe so it would work with no probs. It is nice and solid. And a hair lighter than 3/4". Lowes has it also but they charge more - at least in my neck of the woods.

I'd throw on the motor and hit the water before doing any floor work - unless your feet are going through. If the bow is doubled up I'm betting the whole floor is doubled. Then you can work up a fix-it list based on her she goes.

I got your first years Starmada dues covered cause you had pics from the git go. Welcome and have fun.

EDIT - Forgot to say she looks like a good find. :D

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Deck on my 1971 Starcraft 16 SS was held down by pop rivets ....if you go to 3/4 inch floor, (which I did), you will need
longer rivets than most hardware stores have in stock...you can find them at Fastenall....I hear some people use stainless steel screws when they replace the deck...don't know how well that works out...I used rivets the way the factory did
but more of them...
Do not use green treated wood for your deck or anywhere else where the green treated wood will come in contact with
your aluminum hull..
Looks like there use to be a spot light or a horn mounted to the bow...hmmm looks like someone likes the older style
bow lights:D

Attachments

• MY BOAT 6 13 09 J RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT 6 13 09 J RESIZED.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 6
  • MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR G RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR G RESIZED.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6
  • MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR J RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR J RESIZED.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2011 08 20 MY BOAT AT NIGHT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    2011 08 20 MY BOAT AT NIGHT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2011 09 01 MY BOAT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    2011 09 01 MY BOAT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 4

BonairII

Commander

I'd throw on the motor and hit the water before doing any floor work - unless your feet are going through. If the bow is doubled up I'm betting the whole floor is doubled. Then you can work up a fix-it list based on her she goes.

The main floor is very solid. PO just put it down with new carpet(still hoping he removed old floor on main section). Once I talk to him tomorrow, maybe I'll get a better sense of what he REALLY saw under the floor when he re-decked the boat. He asked me to send him pics of the boat after I did work on it, so I'm hoping that means that I'm not going to find anything evil under the floor.

I really do want to slap the motor on and give her a whirl. 2 things stopping me right now...I think registration fee is like $150+ bucks for 3 yrs.(one foot shorter and fee is 50% cheaper), and I could use that money to start resto.

AND, do I want to pull the motor/battery/controls off my other perfectly running boat to run the Starcraft for what could turn out to be a single shakedown cruise(if I end up with leaks or other problems).

The kid in me really wants to start playing with my new toy, though. ;) :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

AND, do I want to pull the motor/battery/controls off my other perfectly running boat to run the Starcraft for what could turn out to be a single shakedown cruise(if I end up with leaks or other problems).

Yep. :D

BonairII

Commander

I was too curious as to how wet the floor/foam really was and went out to the barn(garage) about 90 minutes ago and this happened.... :facepalm: :p

99e4c9bf.jpg

d156c081.jpg

d1ac7ac3.jpg

BonairII

Commander

And then this happened....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY4PUZtN01M

9a0320a5.jpg

82f17b04.jpg

72f6c893.jpg

I guess the resto has started. I got a lot done in 90 minutes! :p

I feel so-o-o-o-o-o much better now. :D

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great purchase. I say if the floor feels solid run it the way it is until fall/winter. That is what I have done with mine. Be sure to check all the transom wood/bolts/screws and splashwell bolts and screws, most of mine were pretty loose. some to the point they were ready to fall out. Looking forward to seeing what your resto plans are.

Edit: Looks like I was too late to the party. I guess you'll be putting in a new floor:D

BonairII

Commander

Great purchase. I say if the floor feels solid run it the way it is until fall/winter.

You might want to reread my previous posts...just above yours. :facepalm: :p

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on the SS, these are a ton of fun...welcome to the Starmada!!

CPTom21

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Welcome to the Starmada!! If you boat on the fingerlakes maybe we'll cross paths.

BonairII

Commander

Got a second wind and tore out the rest of the interior.
a883dd8e.jpg

89969313.jpg

CPTom21, I've only boated on the Oswego River(last fall) and Oneida Lake(quite a bit this season).....but ya never know.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'm laughing here as I'm scrolling along...

Nice work man! Hey, how about we go into full on rebuild mode? OK, that was easy!:D

Pull that transom out so long as we in it to win it;)

Welcome to the club o' Starcrafters!

dozerII

Admiral

Wow from sign the bill of sale to gutted in under 12 hours, that must almost be a Starmada record. My first SS could have made the record but I had an 8 hour drive before I got it home, so it took 20 hours.lol
glen