Help, New Motor is much slower!

Hank426

Cadet
I have a 1988 aluminum bass tracker guide-V 16ft that still had the original 25HP Merc 2 stroke on it. That engine was pretty tired (couldn't get it to run good low speed or at idle it needed an overhaul). Anyway, the boat loaded with 3 people and all of our fishing stuff would go 16-17mph and low 20's with less weight. This year I purchased a new 2011 Merc 4-stroke, EFI, 30HP, power trim. Put a couple of break-in hours on it and tried to see how fast if would do. With the same amount of weight as with the old motor, it only did like 9mph full throttle. Tried changing the trim to the second hole from the top (which is how the old engine was set) and only picked up another 2mph at best. My question is....What Gives?!?! This is a brand new engine rated at 5 more hp with an identical prop (3 blade, 11pitch). The dealer gave me the option of a 9 pitch prop. Would that make the difference with this 4 stroke? Any ideas on what to change for more speed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help, New Motor is much slower!

Picture might help us.
Could be the outboard is sitting to right on your boat.
9mph is crazy low,not even getting on plane.
Is there a tach attached to this outboard?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats.

Boat engines are set up by rpm, there is a specific rpm that engine is designed run at wide open throttle, you need to know your current rpm to know which way to go with the prop.

As far as power, hp is hp so you should be running a bit faster but keep in mind that weight steals speed and the 4 dstroke is heavier than the 2 so that will eat a bit of the power gain.

What we need to know to help you is what rpm a re you turning at WOT?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried using the power trim? Not just changing the trim hole, there is an electrical switch to operate the power trim.

Have you read the owners and installation manuals that came with the motor (assuming you installed it yourself)?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

No doubt there is something seriously amiss here. Good advice above. Pics and video would be really helpful too. Of course you could take the rig to the place that sold you the motor and ask them to check it out. Welcome to iboats and good luck.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

As already stated, you need to know what RPM the motor is turning at wide open throttle, for a start.

shrew

Lieutenant

OB HP can be measured two different ways. At the prop or at the powerhead. A 4 stroke is going to be considerably heavier than a 2 stroke. Is the 4 stroke an EFI? Is there a different mapping during the breakin period? Alos, as stated HP is rated at a very specific RPM and the prop will also come into play here as well. Too many variables and not enough info. to make an accurate statement.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

OB HP can be measured two different ways. At the prop or at the powerhead. A 4 stroke is going to be considerably heavier than a 2 stroke. Is the 4 stroke an EFI? Is there a different mapping during the breakin period? Alos, as stated HP is rated at a very specific RPM and the prop will also come into play here as well. Too many variables and not enough info. to make an accurate statement.

All outboards sold in the U.S. are rated at prop shaft hp. Jets are rated at both prop shaft and pump and specifically stated, not that it matters in this case.

Side note; the boat is rated for 60hp. The fact that a 30hp motor won't get the boat up on plane is no mystery to me.

Philster

Captain

You must certify that the new engine is reaching max RPM. Lacking this info, the discussion cannot continue. Wild-arse guess can continue ad infinitum.

If it is reaching max RPM, then we need to know the gear ratio we are dealing with. The gear reduction might be too much to get anything out of that prop and you might need a bigger prop. File this under 'wild arse guess' until the RPMs are verified at full throttle.

Hank426

Cadet

Thanks for the responses. To answer some questions:

Engine is EFI- manual says nothing about limited RPM when new (only if there is a problem in which case the thing would beep and oil light would be on to tell the code)

Boat doesn't have a tach, how difficult would it be to add one?

Engine max RPM is rated at 5250 - 6250rpm, if I were to guess based off of sound, I'd say it's not reaching max rpm's.

Engine weigh's about 180-200lbs which is about 60lbs more than the old one but I also removed one of the two deep cycle batteries that sits just in front of it to make up some of the difference. (this engine has a better altenator anyway so I don't need two anymore) According to the plate the boat was rated for up to a 40HP (2 stroke) back in '88.

Gearcase ratio is 1.92:1

tried the power trim to see if higher or lower than second hole from the top would be better, but it only got worse so I'd guess the trim angle is about right.

I know I really need to get a tach reading to know for sure but a lesser pitch prop should increase rpm's right?

BonairII

Commander

Side note; the boat is rated for 60hp. The fact that a 30hp motor won't get the boat up on plane is no mystery to me.

Yup. Underpowered(and a heavier 4-stroke) loaded with 3 people etc = iffy performance

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can add a tachometer or use a Tiny Tach (Available online).

It is a 1988 boat....... does it have flotation (I know it does).....have you checked for water saturation too? You might be hauling more weight then you think.

Who installed the motor? Where is the AV plate in relation to the hull?

NYBo

Admiral

tried the power trim to see if higher or lower than second hole from the top would be better, but it only got worse so I'd guess the trim angle is about right.
It doesn't sound like you have power tilt & trim from this description.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Yup. Underpowered(and a heavier 4-stroke) loaded with 3 people etc = iffy performance
His plate says 40hp max.,not the 60hp someone else suggested.
Should plane with the 30hp;get the tach,it's the only real way to find out what props right for you.
Although I find it hard to beleive it won't plane with an 11 pitch...but havn't used small 4 strokes either.

Hank426

Cadet

Ordered a tach to get an accurate RPM reading. Good point about the floatation, I replaced the decks about 5-6 years ago and the foam seemed alright but thats something I will check.
Yes the motor was installed by a small Merc dealer but...I have little faith in the mechanic due to the fact that he had things messed up from the begining. (he had the steering linkage upside down and many things not properly tightend when I got the boat back) Also the engine DOES have power trim.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You should not be using the trim pin in any hole.

Use the power trim, trim it all the way down for take-off. Trim up to find the sweet spot AFTER you are on plane and running at speed.

Hank426

Cadet

Update. I know this post is old but I finally got to run my boat with the tiny tach installed. On a mirror flat lake with the same weight in the boat as always, the engine would only get to about 4300 rpm WOT. With wind and small waves it struggled to get 4000. Mercury says max WOT rpm should be between 5250 - 6250.
So now that I have an rpm, any suggestions on a prop that will help me out? The prop on it now is an 11pitch, 3 blade. Thanks.

Philster

Captain

I'm not sure we can solve this problem with props alone at this point.

How far below the bottom of the boat is the prop centerline setup? Or, where is the AV plate (plate above prop) sitting in relation to the bottom?

This has been asked; it's essential info now because you are way out of the ballpark in RPM. No step down to a 9p is gonna fix this.

Hank426

Cadet

Took some quick measurements from the bottom of the boat. The AV plate is about 4" under the boat and the centerline of the prop is about 10" under.