*update 9/3* 1969 Chrysler 55hp Model 5555... silt "cemented" my shift rod in LU!

TireFryer

Seaman Apprentice
*update 9/3* 1969 Chrysler 55hp Model 5555... silt "cemented" my shift rod in LU!

Hi Folks...
Newbie to anything and everything "Boat" related, including outboards = this is my first post!
I have already found a wealth of info here, and I am wondering if I may pick some more of your minds!

I just bought a 1969 North American 15ft Tri-Hull and it came w/ a 1969 Chrysler 55HP Model 5555.

The boat was last run about 9yrs ago at which time, the fuel system (carb, hoses, ...) were rebuild, run once to make sure all was good and then put away inside a garage for storage. I just bought the boat and looks to have VERY few hours on it!

One query right off the bat, does this model have an alternator or not? Help me determine the right "type" of battery to get.

ANYWAYS :D I need to buy a battery (any recommendations?) to be able to start the motor... any tips or advice? I know the fuel mix ratio should be 50:1 and to put the lower unit in a barrel... :p

Also, I noticed under the dash where the key ignition switch is located, the following wires were NOT hooked up: purple, orange and black... leave these along or do these need to be hooked up to the ignition switch as well? (Yes, I am in the process of ordering a manual ;) )

Thank you in advance and looking forward to enjoying this new adventure! :cool:

Last edited:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 1969 Chrysler 55hp Model 5555... tips on getting it started?

Hello and welcome to iboats. Orange, purple and black normally just hang. The black is a ground for dash gauges, Purple for a factory tach and the orange is normally hooked to a speaker or horn and would connect to a overheat sensor and alarm if your motor has one. 50 to 1 is the correct mixture but I would go maybe 24 to 1 for the first tank or two. It has been a long time since oil has circulated and original break in for that motor calls for 24 to 1. Chances are 50 to 1 is fine though. I am pretty sure that motor does not have an alternator. Seems to me if the coils are up in the flywheel it is a standard magneto system with no charging. Get a marine starting battery. A deep cycle motor will work but it is not really designed to handle cranking. You can probably pick one up for around 50 bucks.

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be sure to check the water pump as they tend to take a set sometimes although my dads 55 hp chrysler sat for 15 years and i ran 2 seasons on that water pump.It will spray water out of the exhaust if the pump is working.If gas was left in the carb then you should disassemble it and throughly clean it and check the fuel hoses to make sure they aren't dry rotted.Not to dampen your spirit,although i loved my motor ,it really drank the gas.I am talking approx 1 mile to the gallon.The caveat is this is really a simple motor.No fancy expensive ignition,no alternator to go bad and a very simple fuel system.A good starting battery will last a couple of trips easily before you will need to charge it.also check the lower unit grease.Chrysler used to recommend using lubriplate grease in the lower unit so it might look kinda millky white where regular grease with water will look grey.Oh and yes Just don't light up a smoke and toss the match in the barrel like i did.You will see what i mean.Those pesky barrel fires can ruin your day.

TireFryer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input eurolarva and zorak! :) I just got back home from "shopping"... should have read the post prior to that! :(

Wasn't sure on the alternator bit, so ended up picking up a Deep Cycle battery @ 685MCA... should I return this for a Starting battery?

Also, already got the ratio mixed @ 50:1 ... hope that works! Guy @ store was trying to sell me "starter fluid" but I told him I would just use a spray bottle w/ some of the 50:1 fuel mix as "starter fluid" :D

Per the prev owner, the fuel was completely drained and all hoses look nice and clean and supple w/ no signs of cracking or dry rot... the "glass bowl" under the carb looks clean too.

How do I check or where do I look for lower unit grease? (Manuals are on their way :p ) Can this grease be picked up at any auto store or only at marine shops?

Thanks again for the help... Just need to locate a barrel for a successful test run tomorrow!

P.S. LOL @ zorak... good thing I don't smoke! ;)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Deep cell batteries are designed for a low current draw for long periods of time like for trolling motors. The amps required to start the motor can cause some damage to these batteries over time. My first batt was a deep cell and it lasted me two years and after that I had trouble getting a good charge on it. My cranking battery is going strong after 4 years. The battery you have will work it is just not the perfect choice. The term lower unit grease is misleading. It is really oil. To me grease is as solid and oil is a liquid. Just used a good quality lower unit oil. I like mercury high performance. It seems a bit thicker and I have less problems with leaking then with other lower unit oils. Walmart sells thiers and it is cheap and it works well. There are two dime sized screws with slotted heads on the lower unit. That is where the oil is drained and filled. Before starting the motor if it sat as long as it did I would loosen the lower one and verify oil comes out. Best thing to do is to replace the oil that is in there. Before doing this you really should have your service manual to show you the correct way to do this. Some people remove the pivot screw by mistake and that can be a painful mistake. If you run those gears in the lower unit and they dont have oil in them you can mess them up pretty bad and those gears are not made anymore.

Got one very similar to yours, a 1969 55h.p. model 5591. I learned the "no charging system" lesson yesterday. Luckily a nice steady wind blew us almost right to the launch, a little paddle assist by me got us the to the dock.

Anyway, I will now head the advice of another member whose post I read recently. He said there's no reason to get stranded due to a dead battery. He recommended using a rope to wrap around the flywheel (he didn't say the flywheel, but thats the only place I can think of where it would work) to act as a plan B to pullstarting a motor when the battery is caput. It was also his recommendation to take the boat out (with a good battery for backup) and try to start the motor using the rope/pan B setup before you really need to use it.
It might take some practice to get it down pat, but the peace of mind knowing I can do it will make it a cheap way to get 'er back to the dock when the battery is dead.

P.S. If you decide to do the rope trick, get the rope intended for pull starting. Regular nylon rope might break on you when you need it the most.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Model 5555 is long shaft, electric start, magneto ignition---no alternator. So, you will need to recharge the battery at home. My 1967 is the same model number.

10 foot tunnel hull, 50 HP chrysler around 1980

TireFryer

Seaman Apprentice

Alright... got her started on the 3rd try...not bad being that it sat in a barn for 9+yrs! Idles real good, but as soon as I put any throttle load, it begins to sputter and pop and gets smokey...any ideas or thoughts what I can do to track down this issue?

Also, in the water tub, I noticed that there was a milky white fluid w/ a green/tan tint to it = figured it is some remenent oil/fuel getting flushed out from the lower unit, eh?

Again, thanks for any and all help, advice, info... :)

Thanks Frank! I got looking and didn't see any coils anywhere so figured it was w/o alternator - took back the deep cycle and got a starting battery instead.

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1969 Chrysler 55hp Model 5555... got it STARTED! runs rough @ throttle...?

If memory serves me correctly the white/greenish goo is unburned fuel/oil mix,hence the barrel fire i previously alluded to.Mine ran on the rich side and idled rather rough.I could adjust the idle mixture screw and make it smooth out but it would always quit within 30 seconds.My dad told me that the dealer he got it from said that was normal.I think you should remove your carb and clean it .That should help with youe engine running.

TireFryer

Seaman Apprentice

Just in case, where might I find a carb rebuilt kit for this particular motor? Part #?

In reading further, another reason outlined for rough running @ throttle = drain is blocked and excessive fuel is accumulating under the motor in the bowl...

Found Carb Kit PN: 7037
Found Fuel Kit PN: 7806

I think I am going to go ahead and get these done since it has been sitting for 9+yrs. :p

Now, I am somewhat mechanically inclined as I have done work on car motors and such, but I have NEVER touched a carb... do you think this is something I can undertake or hire someone to do it? :confused:

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those engines use a very simple carb.just pay attention to how it comes apart.You will be amazed how simple it is.I never had to put a kit in mine,i just cleaned everything up and reassembled.The only thing to wear out is the needle & seat and the bowl gasket.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

While you are at it, replace the fuel pump diaphragm and gasket. The diaphragms harden and wrinkle with age and the gasket will probably tear when you remove it.

If the fuel system repairs don't help. remove the flywheel and clean and set the points (.020). If this still doesn't fix the problem, then replace the condensers. Always look for frayed or shorting wires on the points and condensers.

TireFryer

Seaman Apprentice

Something else I noticed... although there is warm water coming out of the top after circulating within the motor, it almost seems like air is being forced out of the bottom water intake (does that make sense?) as there is a mass of bubble coming out of the water intake?

Anyways, going to try and post a couple of vids to show motor operation...

http://yfrog.us/3ochrysler55hpz
http://yfrog.us/5jchrysler55hp2z

Was told that the bucket method might be what is causing the issue, so hopefully I will take the boat to the local river and see if it's any better. Might as well while I wait for the carb and fuel kits to arrive.

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually that looks pretty normal.The motor primarily exhausts out just above the prop when at power and only on top where the water sprays out at idle.The water intake ports are on the side of the lower unit.I would want a larger bucket or barrel if you idle it for too long though.

TireFryer

Seaman Apprentice

OHHHH!!!!... I wonder if that is part of my problem :eek: I thought the port over the prop = water intake! Ok, so what am I looking for as far as water intake port on the side of the lower unit? :confused::redface:
Thanks!!!

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cant remember exactly where the intake port is ,i just remember i couldn't get earmuffs to fit on the unit.Actually i think that the intake port may be above the exhaust port in the same hole that exhaust comes out of,i don't remember for sure.I think there was a small round tube located in the exhaust port just above the prop.you can look for some holes on the sides or front of the lower unit.I only remember using a 55 gallon drum.My motor also had a temp sensor in the powerhead and wired up into the control box.I went to radio shack and bought a buzzer to sound off if the water pump went south .

TireFryer

Seaman Apprentice

ok, here goes...
got new plugs and when I went took out the ones in the boat, founf out they were the wrong ones! They were Champion J6C instead of L82C!!! West Marine didn't have L82C, but intead had the NGK replacement B7HS.

After changing plugs, launched her @ the local river, and she started up first time :) Great! Loaded up the family in the boat and went to reverse the boat and NOTHING! The engine is increasing RPMs, but the prop is NOT spinning... not even when I push the throttle lever forward?!?!?! I tried it both ways, with the little button depressed and not depressed on the throttle lever, but no go! And then the motor quit on me... don't know if I flooded it with fuel or what, but 3 kids (5, 4 and 1 year old) had had enough and wanted off if we were not going anywhere... so back to the garage it went! No idea where to start since the prop doesn't seem to want to spin under power (spins freely though w/ hand otherwise)! As I said in the beginning, I am NEWBIE to boats and don't know where to go next! I have the Chrysler manual and am plugging through it... hopefully I find some info!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The water intake on that 69 MAY still be a perforated plate bolted to the back side (prop side) of the exhaust port. In those days, they figured that prop wash would help push water to the pump.

There were only two locations: The perforated plate and holes on the side of the lower unit between the gearcase and anti cavitation plate.

TireFryer

Seaman Apprentice

Does this sound like a "spun prop" issue? See post #17

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are right.The water intake is the perforated port you mention.It's been a while since i had a chrysler.As far as the spun prop,i think chrysler used a shear pin on its propeller shaft but feel free to correct me if i am wrong.Remove the cotter pin and then the plastic nut and you will see it.It might be sheared or even missing.If you have to tear into the lower unit it's not too complicated as that is one the 1st repairs i ever made to an outboard but it has been at least 15 years since i had a chrysler so i may be getting some things wrong.