1970 Evinrude Gearcase Removal

mbrownone

Seaman Apprentice
I want to inspect the gearcase in my evinrude sportwin. My friend who used it last mentioned it ran excellent, but the gears seemed to be keeping it from shifting and moving at full throttle. That is all the info I have on the issue.

What I really need to know is how to remove the lower section of the keel (picture attached) which will expose the gears. Does anyone know how to remove this section of the motor???

Thank you for the information...maybe there are others with the same problem who may benefit from the post.keel.jpg

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Re: 1970 Evinrude Gearcase Removal

This is the 3rd thread that you have going on this question....and the one in March it does not appear that you responded to all the people that chipped in with suggestions.

mbrownone

Seaman Apprentice

I want to inspect the gearcase in my evinrude sportwin. My friend who used it last mentioned it ran excellent, but the gears seemed to be keeping it from shifting and moving at full throttle. That is all the info I have on the issue.

What I really need to know is how to remove the lower section of the keel (picture attached) which will expose the gears. Does anyone know how to remove this section of the motor???

Thank you for the information...maybe there are others with the same problem who may benefit from the post.View attachment 143194

There was no intention of submitting multiple posts regarding the same question. I will just move on and not go into the computer issues which occured. In any case, do you have a suggestion for the removal of the gearcase?? thank you

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

There was no intention of submitting multiple posts regarding the same question. I will just move on and not go into the computer issues which occured. In any case, do you have a suggestion for the removal of the gearcase?? thank you
Maybe re-read your March thread, note all the responses, and then post back any issue that was not answered.