My $50- MFG!

THEPATRIOT

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just scored this 16ft 1964 MFG Westfield for $50-(w/papers!)off a "junkman"!It's ROCK SOLID front to back!!!He sold all the parts off it(motor/seats/trailer)and was going to scrap it :eek:.The blue gelcoat is nice,not all cracked up ect...I LIKE this one!:)

Attachments

• MFG.jpg
    MFG.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MFG b.jpg
    MFG b.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MFG c.jpg
    MFG c.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 0

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: My $50- MFG!

Looks like a fine start on a resto and getting one tht old with a good gelcoat is a definate plus :D.

Rick

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's a heck of a deal bud! Way to go...
The deck and transom are in good condition? (Not rotten?)

sjdoo2

Cadet

I like how it looks like the "other" boat towed it home. :)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Great horse-trading...nice find. Home much deck space do you have? Now you can start the fun of refitting and repowering it. Post some pix as you go along.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Double check the transom. Every MFG of that era I have seen has fiberglass stringers and deck, but the transom is still wood core.

Thats a nice find.

THEPATRIOT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Double check the transom. Every MFG of that era I have seen has fiberglass stringers and deck, but the transom is still wood core.

Thats a nice find.

The transom is SUPER SOLID with NO flex at all.(thank god!)I'm on a small budget and plan to have it on the water next year.Now i have to do some engine reaeach!I want something from the "60's-early "70's at the newest,what HP i don't know????Any recomendations?Thanks

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

There may be a plate on the transom that lists the max horse power and load. My '65 has it.

Also check fiberglassics.com/mfg/ and look at the brochures. They often listed the specs for the boats.

Andy in NY

Commander

Correct,i found it on the tag also.Is that the max legally i can put on it?What's the most amount of HP ("60's engine)that would be safe?

thats a trick question.

heres the deal. the coast guard cant tell you what you can or cant put on it. BUT, your state may have its own rules. that being said, if you put something on that is higher than the rating of the boat and you ever get into some type of accident on the water, your *** is in a sling. not to mention that the manufacturer and the BIA come up with those ratings for a reason. a larger motor is not only going to be more power but more weight to, and that weight has to be supported by the transom. if the transom cant take the extra stress, well i would hate to be you.

a 65 should move you along pretty good. if you want to go faster, get a bigger boat!

i hope i dont come off as preaching, just want you to know the facts.

THEPATRIOT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thats a trick question.

heres the deal. the coast guard cant tell you what you can or cant put on it. BUT, your state may have its own rules. that being said, if you put something on that is higher than the rating of the boat and you ever get into some type of accident on the water, your *** is in a sling. not to mention that the manufacturer and the BIA come up with those ratings for a reason. a larger motor is not only going to be more power but more weight to, and that weight has to be supported by the transom. if the transom cant take the extra stress, well i would hate to be you.

a 65 should move you along pretty good. if you want to go faster, get a bigger boat!

i hope i dont come off as preaching, just want you to know the facts.

Thanks for the words of wisdom!I'm not looking for a rocket,just a nice family cruiser that can get out of it's own way.What would be the smallest HP engine to consider for this boat?(if i can't find a deal on a 65)

Andy in NY

Commander

Thanks for the words of wisdom!I'm not looking for a rocket,just a nice family cruiser that can get out of it's own way.What would be the smallest HP engine to consider for this boat?(if i can't find a deal on a 65)

50's and 65's are going to be the most common. where are you located? i know bob_vt may or may not still have a 65hp merc that he was trying to sell... he is in southern vermont. i picked up a 66 50 hp merc 2 years ago for $500, and the 74 50 hp evinrude i have now the guy was looking to get $695 for it. ive seen on craigslist some decent deals on 65 and 85's too... just gotta keep your eyes peeled. i would say if you are willing to take the risk, you could probably put an 85 on there if the transom was solid as can be.

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THEPATRIOT,
Nice score! Good luck with it and I'm glad all appears to be solid.

wambs8

Seaman

Seems like a nice boat why did he part it out? and why was he going to scrap it? If the boat has good floors, stringers and transom most people would keep the boat. (I would)