1973 65HP Johnson Steering question.

James R

Commander
This has the older system with the cable clamped to the hull not thru the transom mount. Is there a conversion available to make it the current system.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1973 65HP Johnson Steering question.

picture of what you have would sure help. does the motor have the tilt tube for the steering to go thru? i don't believe it does.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

picture of what you have would sure help. does the motor have the tilt tube for the steering to go thru? i don't believe it does.

Not if it truly is a 1973, it doesn't. There is no coversion, at least not without an awful lot of parts and work.

However, there are other styles of transom mounts, including some that mount below the motor. But that requires a longer cable...unless yours is too long now.

James R

Commander

This is a 1973 motor with the long bolt through the transom mount.
If there is no conversion then I will try to engineer one.
Thanks Guys for all your input, it is very much appreciated.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you don't have a tilt tube built in its a 1972 65hp model and yes, there is a conversion kit. Its an aftermarket kit with a tube assembly that is bolted to the engine's upper mounting bolts. I have had one on my boat for three years and it works very well.

Although they are probably available from a variety of sources, I got mine from Donovan Marine, via my BRP/OMC dealer. Donovan is wholesale only, so you will have to go through a retailer.

flint9

Cadet

please more info on the conversion kit as i have the same prblem,71 rude 85

James R

Commander

Have engineered a simple conversion. Took a steering/tilt tube from a scrap transom mount and welded it to a piece of 1/8 x 1 1/4 steel strip, tube mounted high on the strip. This allows for two 1/4 20 bolts to go through the strip into the front of the transom mount lugs. Drill and tap the lugs and use lock washers under the bolt heads. Works like a charm.

flint9

Cadet

thanks,that sounds like a good ideal.i had also thought about using the motor bolts and some kind of L bracket,as i do have the tube,but what about the link arm and placement to get equal left and right turning.do they make a adjustable arm? I do have a arm but it doesnt seem right,its bent at weird angles.thanks for your help.

James R

Commander

I used a late 70s link arm and it fitted perfectly.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

one of these works just fine, slips under mounting bolts. this is a left handed, but easily turn to right hand.

5515hp-1.jpg

Attachments

• ez guide connection.jpg
    ez guide connection.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1