New boat, Volvo SP outdrive, prop does not spin at all.

MountainDew252

Recruit
Hello everyone, I just bought a boat with a 4.3 Volvo Penta and SP CD Trim Outdrive. I have no experience with Inboards. The engine runs fine, but the prop will not turn. I don't hear any clanking or anything from the gears when I move the throttle. The trim doesn't seem to work, so I dont know if that could have anything to do with it or not.

I have not checked the oil in the outdrive, would the prop still turn if it was low on oil? What are some of the first/easiest things I should check?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Lwapo

Seaman
Re: New boat, Volvo SP outdrive, prop does not spin at all.

I'm NO expert.

I would turn off the motor. Put the boat in-gear, then go and see if you can spin the prop.

If you can spin it, there is likely an issue with your shifter.

If you can't, then at least you know that it's getting into gear correctly.

Hope that helps!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The drive needs to be down, if necessary, disconnect the trim rams from the back of the drive and let the drive down.
Why haven't you checked the oil? You could have a defective drive, or bad shift cable, or even a bad coupler.
You can remove the back cover of the drive, and see if the shift mechanism is putting the drive all the way into gear.
Check the lower unit oil for metal. (drain a little out of the drive from the bottom to check)
With the engine running, look behind the engine, is the shaft from the back of the engine turning?

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Hello everyone, I just bought a boat with a 4.3 Volvo Penta and SP CD Trim Outdrive. I have no experience with Inboards. The engine runs fine, but the prop will not turn. I don't hear any clanking or anything from the gears when I move the throttle. The trim doesn't seem to work, so I dont know if that could have anything to do with it or not.

I have not checked the oil in the outdrive, would the prop still turn if it was low on oil? What are some of the first/easiest things I should check?
The SP CD trim drive will be the next gen after the 290. Basically the same drive and will use the anchorage bracket and reverse latch.
You won't be able to see a shaft turning behind the motor. I think Don is thinking SX drive.

Remove the dip stick and check the oil level. You'll need a new oring.

Remove the rear cover like shown in this picture. See if the linkage arm and cable are still connected.
A forward shift will push the bell crank rearward, and if using a LH prop, the linkage arm will rotate the eccentric piston CW.
When turned CW, turn the propeller in the opposite rotation direction.
If the sliding sleeve is engaging with the gear cup, it should lock up against the engine.
Do same in reverse.

$(KGrHqR,!joE9Tpcbt)uBPZTeqYpCQ~~60_1.JPG

Next would be to remove the eccentric piston housing and turn the propeller. If you can see the sliding sleeve turn, then the vertical shaft coupler is OK.
If you can't see the sliding sleeve turn, then the coupler might be gone.
You'll need a new oring here too.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You won't be able to see a shaft turning behind the motor. I think Don is thinking SX drive

Right you are, I read SX, not SP. plus there never was an SX-CD Boy did I screw that one up :redface: :facepalm:

MountainDew252

Recruit

The SP CD trim drive will be the next gen after the 290. Basically the same drive and will use the anchorage bracket and reverse latch.
You won't be able to see a shaft turning behind the motor. I think Don is thinking SX drive.

Remove the dip stick and check the oil level. You'll need a new oring.

Remove the rear cover like shown in this picture. See if the linkage arm and cable are still connected.
A forward shift will push the bell crank rearward, and if using a LH prop, the linkage arm will rotate the eccentric piston CW.
When turned CW, turn the propeller in the opposite rotation direction.
If the sliding sleeve is engaging with the gear cup, it should lock up against the engine.
Do same in reverse.

$(KGrHqR,!joE9Tpcbt)uBPZTeqYpCQ~~60_1.JPG

Next would be to remove the eccentric piston housing and turn the propeller. If you can see the sliding sleeve turn, then the vertical shaft coupler is OK.
If you can't see the sliding sleeve turn, then the coupler might be gone.
You'll need a new oring here too.

Thanks, where exactly is the dipstick for the outdrive?

The rear cover would be the one with only one screw holding it on, correct? I remember looking in there and I believe there was an arm but no cable... but I will have to check again this afternoon or tomorrow.

When I was turning the prop by hand(throttle at neutral), I could hear something turning about halfway up the outdrive, so I am pretty sure that whatever vertical shaft is in there at least turns with the prop.