Kneeboards

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just tried kneeboarding for the first time last weekend and loved it. The board I was using looked way old skool and cheap, I couldn't even get the strap over my legs. It may have even been for kids or something, but it was given to my dad from his neighbor so it couldn't have been very good. Anyway, I was wondering if any of yall could suggest a good kneeboard to buy for beginners, 6'5" 270 lb. I've only boarded once but I was cutting and crossing the wake on my first try without the strap, so I learn fast. I know this isn't a kneeboard forum, but I figured some of you know what's up. Thanks.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Kneeboards

I have only ever ridden an old school hydroslide pro and continue to have a blast on it. If you can find one cheap on craigslist go for it. I can't advise on any others.

I added a hook to hold the handle on mine which makes it easier for the kids to use.

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also have a Hydroslide and it works awesome. If you can avoid the one with the pointed tip get the one that is squared off. Works the same, but you can learn to turn and spin on it.

BigBoatinOkie

I was wondering if there was any major difference in plastic or composite boards and fins or no fins. Someone said that with composite ones you can start with the board already strapped on instead of starting on your belly. I can't see myself doing any flips but I would like to do some jumping.

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Composite boards are better if your experienced. The fins just add stability for keeping it straight when your learning. Most of the newer boards have a fin that can retract. Look for one of those as they are good for learning and then progressing later on.

Utahboatnut

The older hydroslide pro model is a bullett proof board that can be ridden hard, tricks, spins etc. Upgrade the strap and it will last foreverI still have two of them and they are probably 25-30 years old. I bought one of the newer ones pro xlt and it was garbage maybe just that one but it was garbage. So I then got an obrien with the retractable fins pretty good board but the fins quit working about 4 years into the deal and replacement parts were not to be had, still a good board but I epoxied over the fin holes on bottom. All of these boards are a roto molded design which are thicker and much more bouyant, less aggressive but better to learn and get good on. Then I moved into the compression molded design phase of my boarding, comp molded are very thin profile, not as bouyant but have tons of pop off the wake for bigger air, more spoon shaped for landings in any direction. I have an obrien lowrider and a joker which are both nice rides the joker slides better in my opinion but thats me. Once you get into the compression molded design the price goes up considerably so that may play a part in your decision. However the comp molded ones seem to be wider which may help a bigger guy not drag in the water when cutting hard. Try and find a used one or demo some to see what you like then decide.

BigBoatinOkie

Just found a Joker board for $140. Is that a good board and good price?

Utahboatnut

That is a very good board at (to me) a very good price. They are well over 300 bucks new, you will love the performance of the joker they are sick. Remember to keep all of your weight on the knee of the driection you are cutting otherwise it will breakloose and want to spin, drive that rocker into the water. Have fun with it practice sliding sideways it really helps train you to keep your body weight in the right position, go both ways too. Get the feel of how it comes off the wake cause it will pop a lot more than what you were on, the strap being tight once you are up is the key to control so once up and going get it cinched up real well. I like to pull myself up onto the board as soon as the boat starts pulling, have the driver keep the speed down a bit until you are strapped in then bump up to around 20 ish, it makes it much easier on you as the boarder to get strapped in if you arent going so fast at the start. Lastly when cutting hard outside the wake use one hand on the handle and your outside hand to reach out (and skim the water)this will get you closer to the water and use the edges alot better.

SeanT

I'm about the same size as you, that board wasn't made for kids, that's just how they fit on us. I usually have the velcro strap adjusted for as long as possible, and then really grind it together so that few inches of velcro hangs on for dear life. As long as you are in the knee moulds and have the strap on somehow, you should be fine. If you find the board is coming off when you try and get air, then you may need to have the standard strap lengthened some how or use some type of clamp to hold it off the velcro for you.

I like to slalom on my knee board, I don't try and catch a lot of air, so it hasn't been a problem for me.

SeanT

Someone said that with composite ones you can start with the board already strapped on instead of starting on your belly.

I have two "foamie" Hydroslide's, one about an inch thick and the other about two inches thick slightly different shapes. Both have hydro-hooks, which are handy for dragging starts. Neither can be deep-water started while on, you need the hook and drag because they are so bouyant.

We prefer beach-starting but unfortunately the lakes we frequent are really shallow, so we've built a wooden ramp just to help stay stable in about 3 feet of water while the boat gets stable out a bit deeper, then give er!

I stumbled across a nice compression moulded board the other day - an O'Brien Rush 5150 at a boat dealer for like $100 (they just can't sell it, everyone wants wake boards). It didn't have a hydro-hook though, but it's supposed to be similar to those older school boards that didn't float quite as much, so maybe it's low-float enough to strap on while in the water.

BigBoatinOkie

I think I'm going to go for the HO Joker board. Seems like most folks that have used it love it. Thanks for the help everyone and I will let you know what I think of the Joker once I've tried her out. Seems like there aren't too many kneeboarders out there these days. Guess wakeboarding has taken over. I tried it a couple times but never got up before my arms were toast. The price of being a fat guy I guess. Kneeboarding is just much less exhausting. Anyways, thanks for the help.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have two "foamie" Hydroslide's, one about an inch thick and the other about two inches thick slightly different shapes. Both have hydro-hooks, which are handy for dragging starts. Neither can be deep-water started while on, you need the hook and drag because they are so bouyant.

We prefer beach-starting but unfortunately the lakes we frequent are really shallow, so we've built a wooden ramp just to help stay stable in about 3 feet of water while the boat gets stable out a bit deeper, then give er!

I stumbled across a nice compression moulded board the other day - an O'Brien Rush 5150 at a boat dealer for like $100 (they just can't sell it, everyone wants wake boards). It didn't have a hydro-hook though, but it's supposed to be similar to those older school boards that didn't float quite as much, so maybe it's low-float enough to strap on while in the water.

I want that board for that price -- anywhere near Nashville TN

SeanT

Sorry no, I'm way up in Canada, and I'm keeping the cheap board. :D

But I paid way more for my boat than I would in the Southern US, so we're even. :D

BigBoatinOkie

Bought the joker board. Going to test it out in a couple days. I'm freakin excited to get back on the water.

Al Bee

Cadet

Joker board is a decent selection! Have fun!:)

Here's a pic at the 8 second horn! he he
P1030252.jpg

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know much about kneeboards, but I have seen some for VERY cheap on craigslist, might be worth checking out.

Mustangous

Recruit

I am curious with the kneeboards causing any problems with your knees. I know they have a lot of padding on them but do they bother your knees? any issues?

SeanT

My knees get pretty stiff after a long ride and it takes me a while to stand up. But being so big I've always struggled with skis, so kneeboarding is all I had (I really don't like tubing myself, I'd rather drag the kids around if tubes are involved).

I'm trying to learn to wakeboard, but that's taken a bit of a vacation since I just bought a new boat, and my wife is just a teensy bit afraid to drive it right now. So right now my wife is wakeboarding a lot and the kids are kneeboarding. I drive :D

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could anyone rate difficulty levels of skis vs. wakeboard vs. kneeboard, about the only thing this fourty-something dude has figured out how to ride successfully is a tube! :rolleyes:

Actually, I am still fighting wakeboard balance and I have half way stood up for a few city blocks on skis, I am just wondering if kneeboarding is any easier so I can enjoy something else while I figure the other two out.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Could anyone rate difficulty levels of skis vs. wakeboard vs. kneeboard, about the only thing this fourty-something dude has figured out how to ride successfully is a tube! :rolleyes:

Actually, I am still fighting wakeboard balance and I have half way stood up for a few city blocks on skis, I am just wondering if kneeboarding is any easier so I can enjoy something else while I figure the other two out.

Easiest to hardest: kneeboard - two skis - wakeboard -----------slalom.