Aq131a with 275 Drive Steering Problem

shawnn82

Seaman
Could someone please help me out? I have a 275 drive and it seems that the steering fork bushings are worn, there is some play very little play though, and that causes the boat to not steer straight. No water leaks through the spindle arm bearing and the drive turns easily. This is a salt water boat. Im assuming the first step would be to pull out the drive and try to force the fork out. There is absolutely no room to hammer the fork out from the inside. My only option would be to crowbar it out from the outside. Is it even worth it to try and attempt or is it like i think it is gonna be a big PITA. The steering under load and speed does get considerably hard to turn but still turnable. Any suggestions?

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Aq131a with 275 Drive Steering Problem

Is this just a wander at no wake speed? What hole do you have the drive trim in? What boat is this in?

If you do end up doing the bushings, no need to pull the drive, just the transmission.

shawnn82

Seaman

Is this just a wander at no wake speed? What hole do you have the drive trim in? What boat is this in?

If you do end up doing the bushings, no need to pull the drive, just the transmission.

Yes, its a lot of wander at no wake speed, somewhat manageable at faster speeds though still an issue. The Drive trim is in the hole closest to the transom. Its in a 1986 22' Bayliner wac.

Transmission?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Typical v-hull wander. All boats do it. Just takes practice to not over steer when correcting. You will get used to it.

If your trim pin is in the lowest hole, come up one hole and see how it runs. It may be making the boat plow bow down, which makes the steering harder to handle. Does it steer harder one way than the other? If so, you need to adjust the exhaust outlet, it's also a trim tab for steering.

The transmission is the upper gear box of the outdrive.

Its in a 1986 22' Bayliner wac.

Now my question, what's a wac?

shawnn82

Seaman

Typical v-hull wander. All boats do it. Just takes practice to not over steer when correcting. You will get used to it.

If your trim pin is in the lowest hole, come up one hole and see how it runs. It may be making the boat plow bow down, which makes the steering harder to handle. Does it steer harder one way than the other? If so, you need to adjust the exhaust outlet, it's also a trim tab for steering.

The transmission is the upper gear box of the outdrive.

Now my question, what's a wac?

wac - walkaround cuddy. read that somewhere..lol
I guess that explains the wander. However just from observation, is it okay / normal to have play in the steering fork? its significant enough where if i move the drive by hand side to side i get a good 1-1/2" to 2"of wobble left to right i thought maybe thats where the wander was coming from.