Katherine's Landing to Hoover Dam??

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Katherine's Landing to Hoover Dam??

Hey fellows...I made it back in one piece safe and sound. I did make the Dam to Dam run and I have to say it was the best trip I have ever taken before. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves and appreciates the beauty of the Colorado River. I made the trip on Sat. am It was a rough start with Lake Mohave a little choppy but not due to the winds and was all the congestion on the lake but the further I got out and away it totally turned peacefull and glassed out.

DSC_0105.jpg

then we headed down to Cottonwood Cove to check her out and that was pretty impressive. While underway we had to frequently stop and jump into the water to fight off 120 degree weather!! As soon as we got into Black Canyon it was just a whole diffrent world "Beauty" I was just amazed on the landscape and colors of the hills.

DSC_0423.jpg

We then made it up to Willow Beach and that is where I toped her out at $3.52 a gallon!! Oh yeah!! But worth every cent.
We finally made it up to my final destination and I was just speechless and to excited to say anything, I could not grab my camera fast enough.

DSC_0321.jpg

We went all the way up as were all the other boats. I was trully amazed on how friendly and courteous our fellow boaters are. It was just all respect and good times out there. We hung out for a while and made our way back only to find the the most amazing animals makeing their way down to have a fresh sip of the Colorado.

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0376-1.jpg

Just amazing and I can't say anything more, The Best Trip Ever for me.:D

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

wow...beautiful pics! sounds like a cool trip to take...ill have to keep it in mind.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Cool Angel. Great pics.

Must've just missed you although I am sure it would've been chance to have figured out we were who we were . . . or something like that. I had a slip and we started out around 10:30 or so. We went to Cottonwood and then came back and spent a few hours in Cactus Cove. Back in the slip about 7:30.

16kdrmv.jpg

Other strange animals . . . aren't the Bighorns awesome!!!

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey AngelC, did they take that sign down? The do not enter sign that keeps you from going around the corner and seeing the dam. It would make sense that they would take it down on the weekends because there's no work on the bridge going on. Hope that's the case. That means when it's complete, the dreaded (only during the week:mad:) Do Not Enter sign, will be gone for good.:D

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The sign is still there...however the few boats that were up with me drove right pass it, like you said no one around.
DSC_0266.jpg

Hey QC can you give me some more info on Cottonwood? I really liked it there. I'm thinking about staying there in August.
DSC_0456.jpg

There had to be at least 30 Bighorns comeing down the hills.

DSC_0355.jpg

Sunny skies were nice and HOT!!
DSC_0127.jpg

and finally my starting pointe "Katherines Landing" what a zoo!!
DSC_0166.jpg
:eek:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey QC can you give me some more info on Cottonwood? I really liked it there. I'm thinking about staying there in August
Just call them. Reservations are kinda hard to get though. Reasonably short drive from our areas . . .

and finally my starting pointe "Katherines Landing" what a zoo!!
Yep!!!! I have to be fair though as I was reasonably impressed with the south side of the lake this trip. Lots of sand, which is rarer at the other lakes, but right around Katherine is nuts. Hate that carp. And the stupid Slip lottery thing. You have to be in the Marina at 1 and then wait while they call names. Big hole in the middle of the day!!!! Grrrrrrrr . . .

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

QC I must have missed all that drama, on friday I put in about 1pm and there was a relatively short line. It didn't take that long to get her in. Then came Sat and it was about 11:00am there was a line but it was moving pretty damn quick for the amount of people that were trying to get in the water. I did not see or here anything about a lottery. Although I sat in the truck, windows up and A/C on BLAST! So that might of had something to do with it. lol
;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

The lottery is for slips only and it was Friday. About 40 people standing around in 120 weather waiting for their name to be called :rolleyes:

Launch line was bad on Saturday mid-morning for sure. Looked to be about an hour or more wait . . .

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I must of been one of those lucky folks...it was a line that lasted maybe 20-30 minutes tops before I was in the water:D That probably won't ever happen again.:rolleyes:

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pier...thanks for the info. I'm looking into it, got to get ready for the next trip! can't wait.:D

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good luck. Temple, give a call, NOW!:eek:

QC

Supreme Mariner

I came back across the basin about 2:00 PM on Saturday and it was kinda rough. How was it for you? What time? Where'd you end up fueling?

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey QC..I was crossing the basin about 7:00pm and a storm was just rollinging in, so I pretty much hugged the shore all the way in. Was a little rough but I've been through alot worse:eek: I topped her off at Willow on my way back in. But I had told myself I would make a pit stop at Cottonwood for a quick splash, but the pumps were closed by the time I got there. I actually did pretty good with fuel at cruising speed. I made it back with about a 1/4 of a tank left :D Was a little nervous when I saw the pumps at Cottonwood were closed, but made it back in one piece with a splash in the tank left:cool: