Airplane acting oddly last night over the house, any pilots out there?

RogersJetboat454

Commander
So last night a little after 10, I head out of the house to haul some trash off to the dumpster. I can hear/see a Cessna sized single engine plane up in the air passing over the house, and don't think much of it. Get done dumping the trash, and walk back towards the house. I notice the plane is looping around, and heading back in the other direction. Hmmm, well there is a small municipal airport near by, and I figure maybe the pilot is just looping around waiting for his turn at the runway... OK Well I wait 5 minutes, walk out and look and the silly thing is still flying in perfect 1/2-3/4 mile circle around the house and my area. What's up with this I think?... Well 20 minutes goes by, plane is still flying in a circle around the house.. That's when I think something isn't right here.

I watch for about 5 minutes more, with wild movie Esq scenes going through my head of an air plane with mechanical trouble and no radio, and the pilot just along for the ride till the thing runs out of gas. Or a pilot slumped over at the controls that has died, had a heart attack, or just simply passed out for some reason. OK... Time to make a phone call. I call the local P.D. on the regular desk line, and tell the guy what I'm seeing... no no, I'm sure its not a model plane.. bla bla bla. He concludes the conversation by saying, well if there are any problems with the planes in the area, the local municipal airport notifies us. Thanks officer. I hang up, and then the thought crosses my mind; Aren't most of the control towers at these air ports closed at this time of night?

Well checked on the Internet. Sure enough... the tower closed at 10... Head back outside, and this thing is circling still.. Uhh.. Well.. I give it 5 more minutes, call my girlfriend and tell her what I'm seeing. Then call my father who has gone flying several times in little puddle jumpers like these with his buddy. His suggestion was to give the state police a call. I give the local state police barracks a call, and tell them what's going on. No.. No.. I'm quite sure it's not a model... yes this is the street I live on, this is my name, bla bla bla... The state police sounded allot more interested in what was going on, and the officer said he was going to do some checking to find out about this. I hang up, go back outside, and sure enough, my buddy is still up there. About 10-15 minutes later the plane finally breaks out of the loop it's in, then heads off toward the south. Don't know if the guy just got sick of the scenery, or if somebody radioed him about it.

In total he was circling for at least 45 minutes, in a perfect circle almost as though the plane was tied to a string.

If there are any pilots or airplane savvy guys out there, what do you think about this? Is this normal behavior for say a pilot getting instrument certified?

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Airplane acting oddly last night over the house, any pilots out there?

Lol. Its called holding. Or he's just concentrating the chemtrails depending on which crowd you're in. Many towers close around 11 and that means precisely nothing.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Actually, I think it's tee da... :D

For some reason the message was posted by the Iboats before I could even get the second word down (as you could tell).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Actually, I think it's tee da... :D

For some reason the message was posted by the Iboats before I could even get the second word down (as you could tell).

I was wondering. :p

And I wonder if a trainee was logging hours. I think you need so many hours of night flying to get a license.

Last edited:

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

could have been logging hours.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Lol. Its called holding. Or he's just concentrating the chemtrails depending on which crowd you're in. Many towers close around 11 and that means precisely nothing.

Holding for what though? Wasn't another plane in the sky at this time, and all said and done, he headed off away from the airport.

I'm aware that most towers are closed at that time of night, my point was that if there was a problem with the plane and the pilot was incapable of radioing anybody, the airport wouldn't be contacting the police due to the fact that nobody's in the tower watching tail number NXXXOU812 play merry-go-round for 45 minutes.

halfmoa

Ensign

First off, i'm sorry to hear about your conversation with the local police authority. That said, I've been in law enforcement for about 6 years now and I can't think of a single thing we could do to help that guy!

southkogs

Staff member

If it was a Red White and Blue Cessna 182, could have been a Civil Air Patrol bird on a search. Anything from a person search, ELT search or even counter drug stuff.

chriscraft254

Commander

If it was a Red White and Blue Cessna 182, could have been a Civil Air Patrol bird on a search. Anything from a person search, ELT search or even counter drug stuff.

Thats what I was thinking. Most the ones around here are helicopters. If the pilot was not in control, it probably wouldn't have just been circling.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

First off, i'm sorry to hear about your conversation with the local police authority. That said, I've been in law enforcement for about 6 years now and I can't think of a single thing we could do to help that guy!

Oh.. I know the guy in the plane would have been done for..

I was just concerned for the people on the ground after she didn't have enough speed or altitude to glide... :D

southkogs

Staff member

Thats what I was thinking. Most the ones around here are helicopters. If the pilot was not in control, it probably wouldn't have just been circling.

Agreed. Depending how you trim one out, if the pilot is suddenly unable to fly it's more likely to go straight and level than to circle.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Too dark to see anything more than a silhouette and the lights. Don't think it was a search either, no spot lights on the plane, and when that sort of thing is going on there is usually 1 or 2 state police helicopters doing the work.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just a thought, but perhaps he got there after the airport closed, and used a cell phone to call someone from the airport and had to wait until they got there to turn the runway lights on. If it happened just as the airport guy left, he would have to wait till the guy got home, and drove back. At that point, just trim the plane to fly in a lazy circle till the guy gets there to turn on the lights.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

Holding for what though? Wasn't another plane in the sky at this time, and all said and done, he headed off away from the airport.

I'm aware that most towers are closed at that time of night, my point was that if there was a problem with the plane and the pilot was incapable of radioing anybody, the airport wouldn't be contacting the police due to the fact that nobody's in the tower watching tail number NXXXOU812 play merry-go-round for 45 minutes.

For whatever reason he or the controller needs him too. Could literally be a hundred reasons. Or he could be vfr and doing whatever he wants.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought, but perhaps he got there after the airport closed, and used a cell phone to call someone from the airport and had to wait until they got there to turn the runway lights on. If it happened just as the airport guy left, he would have to wait till the guy got home, and drove back. At that point, just trim the plane to fly in a lazy circle till the guy gets there to turn on the lights.

Runway lights are generally pilot controlled and if they weren't working g I certainly am not burning fuel to make a phone call. They are optional.

aspeck

Staff member

Mile High Club????

waterboy222

Seaman
Maybe he was practicing night time turns on a point. 45 min would be a little excessive though.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Mile High Club????
Uhhh, uhhh, :redface: Who are you and what have you done with 'speck? lol :D I'm gonna tell Mrs. aspeck, tsk tsk :p

aspeck

Staff member

What???? Isn't that the club where you make turns for 45 minutes then fly off???