Thinking of buying this motor a 1990 force 90 hp

G

This 90 hp force http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/343785861.html is for sale here locally for $500. I'd like to know if this is a good motor or a piece of ****. I've heard alot of bad things about the 3 cylinder mercurys but I dont know a thing about a force outboard, I need a motor for my 16' tri hull bass boat that i'm rebuilding. Should I get it, pass it up, or offer less money? How hard are they to work on ? Whats it take to put new seals in the L.U. and is the leaky trim a big deal?
This is my first post here BTW, looks like a great site.
Tnx Da Fish-N-Fool

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thinking of buying this motor a 1990 force 90 hp

Looks like the motor may have been sold.Comes up deleted.
Hard to pass up a 90 hp for 500 but there is a reason it is so low.
Easy to work on,but parts can be difficult to find there is no new part factory support by Mercury other than what is in the system.
An entry level motor with a shakey reputation seem to have a lot of starter ,tilt and trim,and ignition problems in relation to the number of motors in circulation.And of course when all is said and done you have a relatively primative motor with a poor resale value.
Look up Chrysler Force parts here and then compare it to OMC or Merc parts.

kmayne321

Recruit
Re: Thinking of buying this motor a 1990 force 90 hp

Hi there!!

I have this motor, and said to say it looks bleek. My question for steelspike is can this motor be replaced? Say by another sized motor, i.e. 120 Force? oh and would it be able to use the same L drive?

Thanks
Kathy