Water in Truck oil from putting boat in water.. Possible?

tarip

Cadet
Changed the oil in my pick up last week. It was the first time it was changed since before the boating season (truck doesn't get a lot of miles). There was a small amount of water in the oil when drained. Is it possible water got in the oil through either the drain plug, filter or pan gasket? Is that even possible? I had to back the pickup pretty deep into the water a couple times at a shallow lake we have in the area. Just today (a full week later) i checked the oil and it isn't milky or anything, making me think it isn't a head gasket, intake gasket or anything of the sort. I was just curious. Thanks for the help.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water in Truck oil from putting boat in water.. Possible?

If water could get in, then the oil would get out.
I think this is a case of run it for awhile and then see what you get, the longer you run it the more likely it will heat up to the point that it did in the summer when you were towing.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I would think you would have had water inside your cab if ya backed er in far enough to get water somehow ingested. Are ya sure there wasnt water in your drain pan or sumtn' wierd like that before ya started ?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

My answer is no.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yep you'd have to back in REALLY far just to get the oil pan in the water but barring bad gaskets 'n seals which would leak oil out and be plainly obvious, you'd have to get the valve covers under water which would be at about the level of your speedometer.

if the truck mostly sets, you could just be getting condensation

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep you'd have to back in REALLY far just to get the oil pan in the water but barring bad gaskets 'n seals which would leak oil out and be plainly obvious, you'd have to get the valve covers under water which would be at about the level of your speedometer.

+1. I'd suggest running it for a while and keep an eye on it

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

It was the first time it was changed since before the boating season (truck doesn't get a lot of miles). There was a small amount of water in the oil when drained.

That might be your problem right there... Although, have you checked your antifreeze? To have a noticeable amount of water in the oil, you are risking serious engine issues... The oil pump pickup sucks from the bottom of the pan, right where the water is. Water doesn't exactly lubricate bearings very well.

seven_magnum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A used oil analysis may give you peace of mind. I get Blackstone Laboratories to do mine and they break everything down to a point everyone can understand it. If coolant is getting into the engine, they should be able to detect it. (Coolant usually will give high sodium and potassium. High sodium can also be caused by the oil you are using or have recently used, but potassium is always a flag.) I just sent off a sample on my Chevy and it cost 25 bucks. The era truck I have is known for leaking gaskets. Most people contribute that to the dexcool and owners never changing the coolant. I think it's worth it however, to know the state of your engine. I think it's better to catch a leaking head gasket now before it turns into a real problem.

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another possibility, is just condensation. You don't drive a lot of miles and if they are only short trips, the oil is not getting hot enough to evaporate any condensation. Over a period of inactivity, the water will settle out of the oil and drain out first. If it's looking like a chocolate milkshake then you have engine problems with your coolant entering the oiling system. If only driving short trips and low miles yearly, you would be better off to change your oil more often.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

+2

Take the truck on a nice long 30+ minute drive down the highway. Bring it home, then park it over night. Next day, don't start the engine. Just crack the drain plug a little bit till you just get a drip. Any water in the oil will be at the bottom of the pan at that point. If you still have what looks like a little bit of clear water drip out when you crack the plug, then you need to drive it some more to burn all the water off. If you have something drip out that is a similar color to what ever color antifreeze you use, then you have problems. You didn't say what brand/year/displacement truck you have, but I know for a fact both GM and Ford have had issues with intake/timing cover gaskets that leak antifreeze.

If you crack the drain plug, and only oil comes out, then relax... It was just condensation in the oil, and it means you need to take the truck out on the highway a little more often to stretch his/her legs... ;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you backed it down that far, what about water in your brakes, differential, transmission?

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

No one mentioned he would see water in the cab...Fish swimming by would be a give a way also...:eek:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

If you backed it down that far, what about water in your brakes, differential, transmission?

brakes and transmission are essentially sealed system. The only openings are the dipstick and brake master reservoir cap, both high up in the engine compartment.

The rear diff is another matter, people get water in those all the time. There is a breather tube that sticks just above the rear diff, which is why you never want to be in more than axle deep water.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

brakes and transmission are essentially sealed system. The only openings are the dipstick and brake master reservoir cap, both high up in the engine compartment.

The rear diff is another matter, people get water in those all the time. There is a breather tube that sticks just above the rear diff, which is why you never want to be in more than axle deep water.

A lot of transmissions have breathers also.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I also think you have condensation.

I would make a habit of driving it more, before you know it the exhaust will rot/ vehicle rust from sitting.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wondering if you had an overheating experience with your truck? That's not to say automotive engines are not vulnerable to water intrusion when sitting in it due to external engine saturation and increased pressure v. splashing of rain/road water.

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a thought; I was told my a local mechanic that the ethanol in the fuel these days is slowly ruining all of our engines because it produces water condensate in the cylenders. Perhaps if the truch has set for long periods of time between uses, the water has had a chance to drain past the rings into the oil. Seems odd but is a possibiity. If that is the case (there is no real way to be sure) the only fix would be to run the engine regularly.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Just a thought; I was told my a local mechanic that the ethanol in the fuel these days is slowly ruining all of our engines because it produces water condensate in the cylenders. Perhaps if the truch has set for long periods of time between uses, the water has had a chance to drain past the rings into the oil. Seems odd but is a possibiity. If that is the case (there is no real way to be sure) the only fix would be to run the engine regularly.

Unfortunately your mechanic doesn't know the chemistry behind an engine... Burning fossil fuel produces condensation, ethanol by itself is not significantly better or worse. Doesn't make any difference at all what the fuel is, burning a hydrocarbon molecule releases hydrogen, some of which attaches to oxygen. That comes out the cylinder as water. (as well as carbon oxides) (just as a FYI, chemically, combustion of ethanol produces slightly less H20 compared to gasoline...)

Anyway, that water does not exist as liquid water EVER in the combustion chamber. And if it did, it wouldn't hang around long... Think of what happens when you shut an engine down. It keeps turning a couple of cycles without any combustion, so if there was any water, it is long gone. If you had any amount of water in a cylinder, you would know it the instant you turned the key to start the engine. (say goodbye to your rods, they don't like staying inside the block if you try and compress water)

(yes, ethanol does have other water issues, this isn't one of them...)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

^WHS
this has nothing to do w ethanol....