Tight steering?

slapshot22

Cadet
Hello, I'm purchasing a 2000 bayliner with 90hp merc outboard. While test driving over the weekend I noticed the steering was a bit tight when turning left. Turning right was fine and it seemed to steer left ok too just that it was tight. Any suggestions? Ideas what might be wrong and should this be a major concern?
Thank You

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tight steering?

Hey I dont think that its a problem. My steering was very very stiff in my boat and I need to replace the steering cables because they where old and not working. With the brand new cables in there it steers great to the right very easy but to the left its a little tighter. I think this is normal because its pully on the cable more then you turn it to the right, Not possitive if it normal or not but think it is because my cable are new and they wher put in by a marina.

slapshot22

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Im planing on taking it to a local dealer just hoping its not too much $. I appreciate your response thank you.

slapshot22

Cadet

Thanks so much for the info. Im planning on taking it to a local dealer just hoping its not too much $. I appreciate your response thank you.

Action

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could be the steering cables, but I am wondering if you tried trimming the motor up when underway? (Assuming you have power trim) I have a 90hp outboard and the steering is tight until you trim up under way and then the steering loosens up a lot.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Left turns with certain props are always harder. I had a bassboat with a 115 merc.... I was doing some prop testing and height adjustments on my motor. At a particular point the motor was up on the transom (to the last hole) and left turns were almost impossible. I dropped the motor a hole, sacrificed 1-2 mph for control and better water pressure.

There is the possibility that something is set up wrong and needs adjustment.

slapshot22

Cadet

Thank You both so much for the advice. I will be taking the boat out this weekend and will try your suggestions. This is a great site, everyone is so helpful.
Thanks so much