Boat Speed Help

chumstain

Cadet
Re: Boat Speed Help

i would say 18-20 downhill with a tail wind
i have a 13' whaler with an old(1969) johnson 33 super seahorse and itll only do 21 mph with 2 people

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I'd agree with the above... It will should plane it if you distribute the weight properly... IF you have 2 guys that weight 225 in the front, well you might have some issues...

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is there a chance that I won't have to run the motor WOT to get it on plane and moving at a decent plane?

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds under powered but should plane ok w light load
I'd say around 20 mph
let us know

Jeep Man

Commander

Right boat... Wrong motor. Wiring for electric start doesn't make it so. Should be larger motor for this boat and be electric start as well. Boat probably had a 40 OR 50 originally. Otherwise, nice fishing rig!

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

your right a johnson evinrude 40 or 50 would be great..... I think the 25 will be a struggle to get on plane with this boat

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

your right a johnson evinrude 40 or 50 would be great..... I think the 25 will be a struggle to get on plane with this boat

It will... Like i said before, it will do it, but I'd say a 40 at minimum. what's it rated for? You really wanna be within 75% of that

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I had a 115hp Evinrude on my 18ft aluminum boat!:D

southkogs

Staff member

is there a chance that I won't have to run the motor WOT to get it on plane and moving at a decent plane?

I agree with the 18-20 suggestion. She's underpowered, but depending on what you're doing most of the time (and where you're runnin') shouldn't be too big a deal. You'll have to run WOT to get it on top of the water, and I'm going to guess that with anything more than a minimal load, she'll have a pretty "slushy" hole shot. Once on plane, you'll probably be able to back off a little bit of throttle, but might not be too much.

I like the boat, but personally I'd want a few more horses hangin' on the back.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have a 16 probably alittle heavier than that with a 50 and get between 26-30gps so with half the power I would say 15-18 tops, looks like a nice boat it just isn't gonna go fast.

etracer68

Ensign

Also I dont think it will charge batterys, with pull start. Under powered, a 50HP would be alot better.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It will be OK with one person. But just OK.

However it's a great price if the condition checks out, and you can always sell a 25 hp pull start--maybe for $700. Buy it, try it, improve it later. or put the 25 on a flat bottom boat.

A lot of boaters worry about top speed. Few really need it. I never run mine WOT cruising; would rather save the fuel and run in the sweet spot instead of screaming.

Let me add this, however: if you are going to use it for 3 guys in adverse weather or currents, you may have a safety issue. Sometimes you need that power to fight your way home. IOW I may not care about speed but I do care about power.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That hull is rated for 90. I wouldn't want less than a 50 on it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Your boat won't be very fast, Id say 15 mph max... but it should be very economical.

Philster

Captain

series60: A fourteen-inch boat? Wow. :p

Anyway, even if you meant a 14-foot boat (14'), as you linked, the comparison is way, way off. At 16' in length, and a much bigger beam, and just overall much more girth (I mean, it's a center console), I don't know how you can even compare the two, series60.

I have a 17' (or so) Alumacraft flat bottom boat and it has a 4-stroke 40 HP Merc. She does 25mph with luck. She has a small, home-made console of little weight. "Planing" is pretty much a given with a flat bottom.

25 HP on a 16' center console is just 'getting by'.

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to see if they just want to sell them motor as it is a low price. I will then put it on a 14' boat so I could really move.

series60

Chief Petty Officer

series60: A fourteen-inch boat? Wow. :p

Anyway, even if you meant a 14-foot boat (14'), as you linked, the comparison is way, way off. At 16' in length, and a much bigger beam, and just overall much more girth (I mean, it's a center console), I don't know how you can even compare the two, series60.

I have a 17' (or so) Alumacraft flat bottom boat and it has a 4-stroke 40 HP Merc. She does 25mph with luck. She has a small, home-made console of little weight. "Planing" is pretty much a given with a flat bottom.

25 HP on a 16' center console is just 'getting by'.

Gee Wiz Philster, beat me up over a typo. I was hoping the poster would take the link and do his own search for a more appropriate boat/motor combo when he got to YouTube.

cyclops2

Banned

My 16' Lowe SHORT SHAFTED 15" , Aluminum open fish boat. It is super light with a Evinrude 9.9 ( really a detuned 15 hp model for resevoirs ) can JUST plane with me & full gear on board.

I put the Evinrude 30 hp on it & a 275 # buddy on it. That is a 475# people load. It planes OK & can make sharp turns without falling off plane.