Is this kicker enough motor?

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alright so here it is. My grandpa gave me a 1980's 8hp Johnson 2 stroke to use as a kicker. I was wondering if this was going to be enough motor for my 23' Proline cuddy. My father-in-law uses an old Honda 100 10hp and barely brings his above idle on his 21' Proline CC. We fish anywhere from 2-2.5mph at the most. Obviously we need to add a little juice when trolling into the wind but it still barely comes off idle with his. I would like to use this motor but I just don't want to be revving this thing up so much I can't hear myself think. On a side note his boat weighs in about 150lbs. less than mine even though his boat is smaller.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chas

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is this kicker enough motor?

Well, you have the boat and the motor. I would say slap it on and give it a go. Doesn't take a lot to move 2-3 mph.
I would just try it. I suspect it would be fine.

I had a an Evinrude fisherman 6hp as the kicker for my 19' mahogany ply boat with a glassed water line. It wasn't light. I even brought the boat in on it a couple times when the main was acting up.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I figured it would be enough but if I needed to trade it in or sell it for a larger one I could. He bought it new and it has maybe 5 hours total on it.

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My gut tells me it would be just fine. If not, whats another hour right?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You should be fine with that motor especially for trolling. If you are going into a strong current against the wind then that would be different, but it will perform simularly to the 10 hp motor on the same waters. You should be well under 1/2 throttle to move it 2 - 2 1/2 mph in still waters.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You should be fine with that motor especially for trolling. If you are going into a strong current against the wind then that would be different, but it will perform simularly to the 10 hp motor on the same waters. You should be well under 1/2 throttle to move it 2 - 2 1/2 mph in still waters.

Most of the time if it's really rough we only trolling with the wind mostly for reasons of being able to control the boat and stay on course. It makes for a hard day trolling. If there is 2 of us in the boat up wind isn't as bad.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Ensure that when you get it mounted and in the operate position for trolling, you can look undrr the boat from the bow and see the whole prop, not nothing, or half of it, etc. Can't get much thrust if you aren't pushing clear water.

Mark

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ensure that when you get it mounted and in the operate position for trolling, you can look undrr the boat from the bow and see the whole prop, not nothing, or half of it, etc. Can't get much thrust if you aren't pushing clear water.

Mark

Good call out. I didn't even think short vs long shaft

jere1972

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm running a mariner 9.9 on my 20' keywest WA heavy boat. Just used it for the first time 2 weekends ago when the stator on my johnson 225 fell apart while @5800rpm that little engine was my saving grace @ 3/4 throttle puhed around 7-8mph
If ya got use it

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd count on it for trolling but not rescue.
and if it's a 5 hour old 8hp from the 80's you can do alright with a trade/sale.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How is this for clearance for the prop?

100_1205.jpg

100_1206.jpg

100_1207.jpg

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

That's fine. It looks like you are well below the waterline.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Hey bud I just recently went through the same deal. I have a 16' starcraft fishmaster, about a 600lb. boat dry weight, loaded down with gas, cooler, livewell, 65hp merc, kicker, fishing gear, and 2 of us and I put an '81 9.9 Johnson on the back and it got us moving against the wind about 7-8mph. Only thing is the motor is a little heavy to carry around, and I couldnt link the motor to main steering. I bought a '69 4hp 2 cylinder because I had more room on the transom to support it, steering capabilities, and light and easy to transport. It trolls perfectly, and steers great, but at full throttle we'd be lucky to make it back before dark as a back up.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Personally I feel lower is better for a kicker. Less chance of it ventilating when you're bobbing around in the chop.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Personally I feel lower is better for a kicker. Less chance of it ventilating when you're bobbing around in the chop.

That was my thought exactly but the bracket is a little expensive for me right now. I have spent a good amount of money on the trailer and a few other things this year. Next year I will consider the the kicker bracket.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That was my thought exactly but the bracket is a little expensive for me right now. I have spent a good amount of money on the trailer and a few other things this year. Next year I will consider the the kicker bracket.

You'll hate me then. I absolutely STOLE on off CL this winter. Haven't installed it yet. It's a super heavy duty, completely STAINLESS one. Paid $50 :D

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I just slapped on a longshaft.....
P2090927.jpg

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Darn you!! haha I have been scouring CL for one. I have found ones for $100 but new they are $115 off e-bay.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Darn you!! haha I have been scouring CL for one. I have found ones for $100 but new they are $115 off e-bay.

The one I got is ridiculously beefy. It's more like a $250-$300 unit new. The guy just had it advertised as a regular kicker bracket. When I got to his place and saw it, I couldn't hand him the money fast enough :p