'73 ski boat transom separation

hicks86

Recruit
I have an older kona ski boat with a merc 1250 ob. The boat is in pretty good condition considering, but it needs some work before I can put it on the water. The only problem that I see with the hull is that the transom is separtaing from the top shell.I dont think that it needs the transom replaced, the wood seems solid and dry. Im gonna put some pictures up and maybe someone can let me know what I should do to fix this. thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1246.JPG
    IMG_1246.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: '73 ski boat transom separtation

Welcome to iBoats!

That looks like a failing transom to me. You need to use a 3/8" drill and "From the Inside" drill into the transom about 1" (use some tape on the drill bit to mark your depth). Drill down low on the transom and at various locations. Check the shavings and see if they are damp. If so, and I am betting they are, then you will need to replace the transom. If they are dry then fill the holes with some 3M 5200 sealant and post your findings. We can then deal with the cracking at that time. Sorry, but I'm pretty sure you're gunna need to replace it and to do that you will need to remove the top cap of the boat. Plenty of examples here on the forum on how to get this accomplished.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome to iBoats!

That looks like a failing transom to me. You need to use a 3/8" drill and "From the Inside" drill into the transom about 1" (use some tape on the drill bit to mark your depth). Drill down low on the transom and at various locations. Check the shavings and see if they are damp. If so, and I am betting they are, then you will need to replace the transom. If they are dry then fill the holes with some 3M 5200 sealant and post your findings. We can then deal with the cracking at that time. Sorry, but I'm pretty sure you're gunna need to replace it and to do that you will need to remove the top cap of the boat. Plenty of examples here on the forum on how to get this accomplished.

What Woodonglass said, I second it

Welcome aboard,
GT1M

hicks86

Recruit

Thanks, ill do that and post what I find. Might be a little while though, I gotta pull the tank, and find some extra time to do that.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not sure what you changed but your pics did not post this time.
Sorry for your findings but I was pretty sure that was what your were gunna find.
Decision time. If you want to keep the boat then you will need to do a total rebuild.
If not then might consider selling it as a restore project boat and look for another boat.
Let us know what you decide.