strevino

Cadet
hi
i have a bayquest 19' boat. 2001
its a tunnel boat. 1450lb.

the motor is a johnson 115hp 2001 V4.

i want a stainless stell propeller.

i will use it only in lakes.

i dont know what size is my propeller, it doesnt have any number on it.

but the boat runs at 30mph.

i want more speed.

what propeller do you recomend me??

thanks

hwsiii

Commander
Re: propeller for a johnson 115 in a bayquest boat

Strevino, I have calculations I ran on your boat showing base weight of 1,450 pounds and a gear Ratio of 2 to 1. If these numbers are wrong then my calculations will be wrong. Although with a Tunnel hull my calculations could be wrong on speed.

Boat and Motor Info

StrevinoBoatandMotor.jpg

Prop Picker

StrevinoPropPiker.jpg

Prop Change

StrevinoPropChange.jpg

H

strevino

Cadet

perfect.

what do you think about the apollo 13.1/8 x 19 or 21 ?

thank you

hwsiii

Commander

The Apollo in a 17" pitch for maximum RPM and NOT lugging the engine.

H

strevino

Cadet

perfect, thanks

apollo is better than viper?

hwsiii

Commander

I will not say better, but different. I am running an Apollo myself, so I guess I am partial to them.

H

strevino

Cadet

i have in my boat a power tech RED3R15 is a 13.25x15, with this propeller i get a 32 mph and a 5200rpm.

with trim.

what do you think? it is posible to get more speed? in the manual said no more the 5500 rpm.

thanks

hwsiii

Commander

I would recommend you stay with the Powertech prop at this time, because it appears that it is not turning full RPM even in a 15" Pitch. It appears that the tunnel boat you have is more for flats fishing than high speeds, and you may find that an aluminum prop with zero rake will pick the stern up and turn about the same RPM you have now, with a little better top speed. I would check my tach and have the motor tuned up and see what RPM you are turning at that time before looking at other props.

H

strevino

Cadet

hi

i tried today a 13 1/4 x 17 in aluminium.
and get 4 more miles and loose 300 rpm.

what do you think?

will work better a 13 x 19 in stainless stell?

thanks

hwsiii

Commander

Strevino, if you are telling me that you are now turning 4,900 RPM with a 17" aluminum prop at 36 MPH, I would stick with that prop. Your Prop slip is at 9% with that prop versus the 13% prop slip you had with the red3 15", and that is because you have a prop with zero rake that is helping picking up the stern. if you change to a 19" pitch stainless steel you will lose RPM to about 4,500 RPM and you will be lugging the motor which is NOT good.
That 17" pitch aluminum is about as good as you are going to get unless you want to continue to try a lot of different props. If you decide to do this go with stainless steel props that are about 17" pitch with zero rake and a cup on the trailingt edge of the prop, as this will create more stern lift and that is what you need to go faster.

H

strevino

Cadet

perfect, any brand, style or model?

in stainless steel.

thanks for your help and patience.

Salvador

hwsiii

Commander

Salvador, I would recommend you trying a Powertech SCD4 in a 15" Pitch, this is a stern lifting 4 blade optimum grip prop that hopefully will give you about 35 MPH and a WOT RPM of about 5,300 and keep you in the upper range of your RPM. Just make sure they will exhange with you in case it doesn't do what I expect it to. I think they charge about $ 30 if you have to trade it for another one, but I am sure Dan's discount props will do this, But call and make sure he has the prop and will exhange it. And you are very welcome Salvador. Would you please get back with me after you test it so I can add the speed and RPM to my database.

H

strevino

Cadet

sure i will....

thank you Sr.

Salvador .

hwsiii

Commander

Salvador, you are very welcome. Would you please post back here with your WOT RPM and speed when you run that prop so I can enter the data in my database.

H