Use of stabilizer

plztellme

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Even though I have a 2 stroke, do I still have to add and run stabilizer through it for the winter? Live in N.Y.

Philster

Captain
Re: Use of stabilizer

I know most people don't do anything with 2-strokers, but it would be best to condition the fuel and run that conditioned fuel into the engine, so that it doesn't sit there and slowly turn to varnish in your carb and lines. Now, it won't become bad fuel in 6 months, but man I cannot tell you how many people I know who meant to lay up their boat for 6 months and then something came along and distracted their life for another year.

I'd run conditioned fuel through her and fog her to prevent corrosion.

Of course, if you could run fuel out of the engine, more power to you!

Much more complete winterization: http://www.acfishing.com/sub/articles/winterboat/winterize.html

cyclops2

Banned

Well I still have the original REGULAR gasoline in a 300 gallon fuel tank I bought during the Arab Oil Embargo. Use it for emergencies only. ( forgot to buy gas ). Still starts ANY 2 or four stroke in 1 to 2 seconds of cranking.

Additives are a HUGE con game. I have mowers ,wackers, generators & lots of other 2 & 4 strokes. NO PROBLEMS.

Medical equivilant is taking vitamins. Does everyone ALWAYS NEED THE SAME AMOUNT ? NO WAY.:eek:

Philster

Captain

Dude... gas varnishes and turns to gel as it gets old. To store anything with fuel in it, the fuel needs to be treated or drained.

Maybe the lead has been preserving your fuel stash. Regardless, one should be advised that storing vehicles means doing something about the fuel. I guess there are no mechanics, backyard or professional, who've ever had to clean out a gummed up carb.

It's totally my buddies imagination that his motorcycle that has been sitting for three years has varnishy/gel-looking fuel. Aliens did it.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Its best to run it dry if possible. The old gas gets acidic and eats the fuel lines. If that's not an option, put some stabilizer in it.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Even though I have a 2 stroke, do I still have to add and run stabilizer through it for the winter? Live in N.Y.

I agree with Philster. Treat your fuel with Marine Stabil and run it through the motor. You'll be fine until Spring.

I usually don't get into these discussions, but the guest speaker at our Power Squadron meeting this past Wednesday, was a certified Mercruiser regional tech/troubleshooter with many years experience. He swears by Stabil. I've always been partial to it myself, so it made me happy... :)

plztellme

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all ur help. I love reading the questions and replies on this forum. It's very informative and helpful. Being a Newbie and a slow learner, I'll have many more questions. Just loved the previous answers about the difference between "rope" and "line" Yikes!!!!!!!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Additives are a HUGE con game. I have mowers ,wackers, generators & lots of other 2 & 4 strokes. NO PROBLEMS.

I love it when people advise you to not use old gas in the boat, but use it in the wacker because it won't matter...LOL.

Long story short....all the stuff at home gets treated regardless of type motor. Had some family problems and the "stuff" at the Cabin didn't get treated that fall, nor used the next year. Year old untreated gas and the Wacker and Mower ran like crap. When I bought new gas they ran fine again.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stabil, Startron and Quickcleen are not scams and do exactly what is claimed when correctly used for the purposes intended.

cyclops2

Banned

A word about why I have no need for stabilizers.

I always leave the engine running and.................run the engine until it stops due to no fuel left. Everything EXCEPT car & the 5.0L boat engines.

However. My marina DOES put stabilizer into my 19' 5.0 L mercruiser each winter.

I HOWEVER do NOT put any stabilizer when I usually empty the fuel tank by the end May.
I DO NOT put any stabilizer in at all for the entire summer. Fuel is evaporating like crazy from the engines carburator from May to October. 6 months NO stabilizer............. Why no problems ? I use 2 tanks of gas per year. 6 months with & 6 months without stabilizer. Somebody is wrong.

My 9.9 carburated outboard has NEVER had stabilizer since 1988. Never had starting problems in the spring or fall. Why would I add something if it is NOT needed.

Sounds like still changing car engine oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. ALL oils go EASILY + 6000 miles with closed crankcase systems in them now.
I have been running 8,000 to 10,000 miles between changes for 20 years. No wear or oilburning between changes.

Bussiness companies ARE there to get you to use their product AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Not as LITTLE as possible.

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd run some stabil, it only costs a few bucks and it's insurance for your motors. Yes there are people who swear that they never put a drop of anything in their boats, lawn equipment, etc... but the same people have problems getting things going in the spring and have their carbs cleaned/rebuilt.

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been running 8,000 to 10,000 miles between changes for 20 years. No wear or oilburning between changes.

It's not just oilburning that's the problem. Over time the oil will become contaminated with fuel and its lubricating properties could change and therefore not be doing an as efficient job as new oil.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Curious as to whether on not the fuel out your way has ethanol in it. I live in Oregon, and It's hard to find fuel without ethanol. IF, your gas has ethanol you ABSOLUTELY want to use stabil. If your gas is without ethanol, you STILL should use stabile, to decrease varnish.

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always leave the engine running and.................run the engine until it stops due to no fuel left. Everything EXCEPT car & the 5.0L boat engines.

However. My marina DOES put stabilizer into my 19' 5.0 L mercruiser each winter.

I HOWEVER do NOT put any stabilizer when I usually empty the fuel tank by the end May.
I DO NOT put any stabilizer in at all for the entire summer. Fuel is evaporating like crazy from the engines carburator from May to October. 6 months NO stabilizer............. Why no problems ? I use 2 tanks of gas per year. 6 months with & 6 months without stabilizer. Somebody is wrong.

My 9.9 carburated outboard has NEVER had stabilizer since 1988. Never had starting problems in the spring or fall. Why would I add something if it is NOT needed.

Sounds like still changing car engine oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. ALL oils go EASILY + 6000 miles with closed crankcase systems in them now.

Bussiness companies ARE there to get you to use their product AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Not as LITTLE as possible.
indeed someone is, and it is you. ive had all too many ethanol based fuel problems, and actually watched a un treated 2 cycle mix turn from blue to brown while un stabilized and sitting for the winter, i agree oil is not needed at 3k, i run synthetic and change it every 5 or 6k in my work horse truck. as to 10k miles, no way, sludge will form, wether you notice it or not. oil becomes contaminated with sulfer ect as it is used....which pits bearings...plus it looses its lubrication properties and viscosity over time.

to answer the OP, yes do stabilize or run it dry before winter storage.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The OP says "two-stroke" which can cover a lot of territory from old time pre-mix engines to modern Optimax or Etec where I am pretty sure it is recommended NOT to run dry. I know my manuals for the Optimax say not to run the engines dry.

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ethanol is the missing link here.
No "old timer" or "I have been doing it for 20+ years" excuse can work now. Ethanol has changed the old ways.

If that weren't the case there would be no need for flex fuel vehicles.

Personally I have had my weed whacker and my blower both have their fuel lines rot and fall apart because of ethanol.

Bottom line is do what you want and makes you feel comfortable if you do not want to follow what the manufacture says to do.

Oh and by the way I used to work for a motor oil manufacturer and you can go well beyond 10k miles with regular or synthetic oil if you know what you are doing. There is also NO oil filter out there that can safely go past 6-8k on a car or light truck engine. Semi's are a different story.

Philster

Captain

Treated fuel lasts longer. This is fact. It's not open to debate.

6 months = just slight loss of octane.

Trouble in the boating world: In reality, a disproportionate number of boats sit for longer than intended. Does THIS need to be debated? NO. Seriously, there is no need to cite any references; it's accepted by all of us as true. If we were in court, I'd not have to prove this -- it's common sense and reasonable to assume this.

When storing fuel, treat it.

I don't change my oil every 3k miles. I go way longer. I purchase my vehicles and don't lease. I average 130-150k per vehicle before selling them off as used and they run fine. This is anecdotal evidence than one cannot then turn on its head and use as some half-arsed example of why fuel conditioner isn't needed!

The fact of the matter is that as fuel ages, you risk it getting varnishy or gel like. GUESS WHAT? Doesn't mean that 100% of all fuel that is over one-year old us ruined. It means that a greater percentage of one-year old untreated fuel is worse off than one-year old treated fuel. The odds get worse over time.

So, you have to ask yourself: Are ya feelin'' lucky? Well, are ya? Then don't treat the gas if you are sure your fuel is staying perfect over time and you're going to use it exactly three months from now.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some people survive jumping from a plane when the parachute doesn't open too but that does discount the need for having one.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Stabil, Startron and Quickcleen are not scams and do exactly what is claimed when correctly used for the purposes intended.

And although it is not advertised as such Sea Foam is marvelous too, not only in keeping the fuel fresh, but in cleaning up dirty engines and ones that seem like they are dead.

I use Startron Diesel additive in my farm diesel storage tanks, Stabil in all 4 cycle engines except truck as it gets plenty of use, and 2 cycle engines get the Sea Foam. I have not had a fuel issue on any piece of equipment for longer than I can remember. Additionally, I resurrected an old chain saw and weed eater With Sea Foam just to prove a point....after I had bought new ones.

Maybe back in the old days it was ok, but not now.....course years and years ago, I was looking at a Cushman Eagle 5 hp Motor bike...not their scooter, but their brand, and it had been sitting up for about 5 years. I opened the gas tank and peered into it seeing SOLID varnish and the smell thereof. Naw it wasn't ok back then because when I was a kid and later always ran my OB engine dry before leaving the water as I had bought used engines that have sat for awhile and every one had varnished up carbs. I didn't quit that practice till I bought my first oil injected Merc. and started using Sea Foam.

So to each his own. I'll take my additives and the peace of mind and performance i get from them. After all it is my money and I got it the old fashioned way.....I earned it!

Mark

cyclops2

Banned

Good news.

Since I came back to N J October 1, I noticed about a 20 % increase in my Honda V6 Accord for the last 3 tankfulls.

Did the USA finally dump the low milage Ethanol & do like Canada has ?

OH I always get + 150,000 on all my new cars before I donate them. So the no stabilizer also works just fine. We use 1 car. So that may be a big difference in my living with Ethanol so well. None of my Hondas have ever had any Ethanol problems. If I did, I would have joined the Stabilizer club in a heartbeat.