Any ideas for my wife???need suggestions

cbavier

Lieutenant
Re: Any ideas for my wife???need suggestions

My wife has very little interest in our Boat. I thought it was either "in" your blood or "not". This thread has given me some new ideas. We are planning some two and there day boat trips and my wife is all "gung ho" about that. But to just go out on the lake cruising is a "hit or miss" in fact "miss more than hit" and to go out fishing well you might as well forget it. She would rather sit and watch TV or work a Crossword book. So I go out alone or with a friend.

cribber

Lieutenant

Guess I lucked out... my wife loves to go out on the boat and cruise. We do anywhere between 30 to 40 miles with the odd 60 plus mile cruise and never leave the Harris Chain. We do have a lot of wildlife pictures since she's really into photography. I chase down the wildlife with the boat and she gets spectacular pictures to keep her interested. Try to combine one of your wife's favorite things to do and do it on the water!!! :D

ckone0814

Petty Officer 1st Class

depends on what fishing is where you go also. where I am fishing is just the act of getting your lures wet. if we could catch a handful of fish on each trip it would make a big difference. still, that old saying, "a bad day fishing beats a good day at work", or however it goes, is right on for us.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Guess I lucked out... my wife loves to go out on the boat and cruise. We do anywhere between 30 to 40 miles with the odd 60 plus mile cruise and never leave the Harris Chain. We do have a lot of wildlife pictures since she's really into photography. I chase down the wildlife with the boat and she gets spectacular pictures to keep her interested. Try to combine one of your wife's favorite things to do and do it on the water!!! :D

So Photography is the attraction for your wife not boating. But I see what your saying.

cbavier

Lieutenant

depends on what fishing is where you go also. where I am fishing is just the act of getting your lures wet. if we could catch a handful of fish on each trip it would make a big difference. still, that old saying, "a bad day fishing beats a good day at work", or however it goes, is right on for us.

Where I fish I and whoever is with me catch lots of fish. I wouldn't care if she fished or not. I just wish she liked to ride and cruise in the boat better. But like I said earlier we are planning some boat trips. One this year and one next and one the year after. I'lll let her choose which order or cruise we do them in. One or more have locks so I have to study up the protocal for entering and exiting locks. Capt. Steve on Boat Test. com has some great lessons I'll study. I've watched them but I will really focus as the time nears.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Perhaps try something new and different. Not sure if it's practical where you live, but GPS geocaching comes to mind as a starter. www.geocaching.com

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Find attractions that she'd like that you can get to by boat and kill two birds with one stone.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

My wife hated the old boat, it was smelly (2 stroke), didn't have anywhere to lounge, and it took every little wave like a tsumani (small beam means huge list in waves). I love fishing, even if I never catch anything, and so it made for a long summer of compromises.

Now the new boat, it has lounging spots all over the place, has a medium dead rise (very stable), quiet, and has shade from the sun. She loves it, I anchor in a quiet bay, or up river a bit, she lays out on the huge sun deck, and I fish off the bow. Oh, and the radio (likely the reason I catch nothing) plays quietly in the background. Usually ends up with a little romp too... :D

So maybe it's not boating she dislikes, but a lack of things on your boat that appeals to her. Maybe that should be a question...

Ian

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree 100 % with the Lady, encourage your lady to learn how to use the GPS, the difference between and red and green buoy's.

You fish, she gets you there and back...great deal for both of you. You get to keep it running right and she can pilot it for you .

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would start heavily with the romance and raunchiness on the boat. That should get her more interested in "boating". Then I would do as Ladyfish suggests and get her involved in the actual piloting of the boat.

If the combination does not work then it not in the cards.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not sure you can change her interest in fishing. I think you either love it or hate it. I happen to love it but some women just don't. Although if she were to catch a really big fish and haul it in herself I can't for the life of me figure out why she wouldn't be hooked. Try teaching her some fishing techniques that you use and always explain why.

Or, maybe if you teach her to captain the boat. I'm not talking about just letting her drive it, but teach her how to read the GPS, how and why you handle the boat in certain situations, how to dock it, launch it, etc. She has to take ownership of it, and the only way to make it hers is if she knows she can handle it well enough to solo one day.

My husband made sure I knew everything there is to know about our boat and I have 100's of hours logged over the years.

Take the basic boater course from the USCGA or the USPS. Lady fish is right - get her involved. Don't just fish but do some of the things she likes to do on the boat. Cheapboatkev also had some good ideas.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BTW, I'd take the boat no matter what.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

oh man,this topic hurts me bones swab.ive tried with my first wife for seven yrs.stayed home like you,went by myself took photos,drank beer lived the good life.but she went crazy and we eventually split for the reason.my new 4yr wife is awesome shes a little jealous but lets me go and never stops callin.I love boating and fishing and drinking a cold beer with a cigerette but let me tell you all somethan,be careful if she bugs you she loves you.if she wont she dont.I tell you once again,a boat is a lot more than a hole in the water for cash tossing,your whole life can get sucked in,be careful,have fun and know when to stop boating for a while.more wisdom if you wish!:eek:

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Have you considered a treasure hunt using the boat? Show her the ropes as to how to launch the boat, then give her a GPS coord to track down, each bringing a new location and an item for the final resting place.. maybe a bottle of wine in one spot, some crackers in another, a ready blanket in a secluded spot at the end..?

All of this being nice and all, but the real (much more sinister) motive is to get your wife to ASK for boating lessons in order to get what she wants. She'll be much more inclined to learn the ropes and be patient with your teaching her if she sees an 'end game' she wants.

...just make sure she can find all of those items you stashed away, as nothing will make it worse than a missing item 1/2 way into it.

Expidia

Commander

We took that CG course on two consectutive Sat's. We had to because in NY to drive jetskis you need to have passed that course and carry the license.

My Wife got 100% right on the test. I've been boating for over 40 years and I got a 92. How embarrassing was that. It was a great course, that's why I recommended it for anyone. It should be mandatory before anyone gets behind the wheel of a boat in all states IMO. After each session take her out to lunch or dinner. They love having a restaurant to look forward too (it's like giving a dog a treat :D)

Definitely get her more involved after the course. Tell her she needs the course in case a medical emergency happens on the water. What if you had to drive someone else's boat back. She needs to know how to drive your boat. Or if you passed out. She needs to know how to get back to the launch using the GPS.

And if you get your wife out in the middle of the lake, with that cuddy cabin it's an aphrodisiac as is a motel room, that cuddy is a floating motel! Seems when you take most women out of their same day to day boring enviroment, they get more romantic . . . unless of course your cuddy smells like fish and wet canvas since you only use it to store crap.

Then hang a sign up on the transom that says "when the boats a rock'in, don't come a knock'in" (an oldy but a goody) ;

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Some good advice in hear. Luckily my wife is enjoying boating more now.

Last year we had an old tri hull with and old 2 stroke outboard. It would always smoke, be really loud, etc. Sometimes i would have to stop and fuss with it, switch fuel tanks, etc. She finally told me that, while she enjoyed being out, she was always nervous that we were going to brake down or something. So we sold the old boat and motorcyle and bought one a lot newer. Now, no more mess, queiter, faster (wife loves speed:D) radio, etc. adn she enjoys it a lot more.

So I would agree with the poster that suggested maybe the boat is some of the problem.

My wife still thinks it is a lot of work though. So i do everything getting ready to boat. (Pack towels, sunscreen, snacks, food, water, games, etc.) Just trying to take all of the "stress" out of it for her to enjoy it more. I finally have her talked into learning more. So we will be taking a safe boating course together and then she can start piloting the boat. She seems into that.

So i absolutely agree with LadyFish. Get her involved. Help her learn. Not just what to do, buy why!!

We boat on the Chesapeake Bay as much as possible. So we are always heading to new spots which she enjoys alot. (Never the same old boring stuff!) I take her to romantic restaurants by boat, etc.

This make a huge difference!! Try mixing it up a little if possible. Make the boat "romantic" for her!

Also, if taking the boat (which is a must!!!) Make sure you check everything over really good! (Trailer and boat) You want everything to be perfect and for it to be a very memorable experience!!! (Good not bad!)

Good luck and enjoy you vacation!

Expidia

Commander

Some good advice in hear. Luckily my wife is enjoying boating more now.

Last year we had an old tri hull with and old 2 stroke outboard. It would always smoke, be really loud, etc. Sometimes i would have to stop and fuss with it, switch fuel tanks, etc. She finally told me that, while she enjoyed being out, she was always nervous that we were going to brake down or something. So we sold the old boat and motorcyle and bought one a lot newer. Now, no more mess, queiter, faster (wife loves speed:D) radio, etc. adn she enjoys it a lot more.

So I would agree with the poster that suggested maybe the boat is some of the problem.

My wife still thinks it is a lot of work though. So i do everything getting ready to boat. (Pack towels, sunscreen, snacks, food, water, games, etc.) Just trying to take all of the "stress" out of it for her to enjoy it more. I finally have her talked into learning more. So we will be taking a safe boating course together and then she can start piloting the boat. She seems into that.

So i absolutely agree with LadyFish. Get her involved. Help her learn. Not just what to do, buy why!!

We boat on the Chesapeake Bay as much as possible. So we are always heading to new spots which she enjoys alot. (Never the same old boring stuff!) I take her to romantic restaurants by boat, etc.

This make a huge difference!! Try mixing it up a little if possible. Make the boat "romantic" for her!

Also, if taking the boat (which is a must!!!) Make sure you check everything over really good! (Trailer and boat) You want everything to be perfect and for it to be a very memorable experience!!! (Good not bad!)

Good luck and enjoy you vacation!

Wow, take heed to this guy's post. Very well said and if I were a girl or light in the loafers . . . you'd be my type of guy . . . :D :) :D

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Wow, take heed to this guy's post. Very well said and if I were a girl or light in the loafers . . . you'd be my type of guy . . . :D :) :D

Thanks, i think! ;)

But just so there is no confusion, i am very happily married to my wife! :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Mine has a pink beer cooler/cozy thing deal . . .

Mrs. QC has absolutely no interest whatsoever in piloting or launching or trailering or helping. But she loves to boat. She likes to maintain a day home away from home. The right appetizers, the right drinks, snacks, sandwiches etc. She likes to hang at anchor if it is not too hot, she likes short cruises. But ultimately she just likes to see the kids and guests having fun and she loves to be on the water.

If your wife likes to entertain at all maybe inviting some friends could help. Forget the fishing, go ahead and go to the sand bar, but can you also mix in lunch at a Marina? Sunset cocktails at a Marina? Night cruise back to the ramp? This way you get to pilot the boat (my favorite thing), set a course between destinations. She'll see her fiends having the best time of their lives, she'll be providing that, and she'll get to enjoy the stops as well. As sexist as it may sound, Women are nesters, gatherers, and they like to entertain. They like to make people comfortable.

LadyFish's comments are great, but my wife could not care less about any of that . . . She can back a trailer, but only if I need it, she can run the boat, but only if I need it. She wants to be in her favorite spots, look around and enjoy the outdoors, and then she wants to go somewhere else fun, and then she wants to serve up her famous salsa. She likes to have the perfect Bloody Mary on Sunday morning at her favorite Lakeside Restaurant, and she likes to introduce that to new friends. Or she likes to make the perfect Bloody Mary as we idle out of the Marina. If she had it her way, we'd take about 10 short trips to different sites and sadly, also go to places she can spend money . . .

Which reminds me . . Is there anywhere she can shop for clothes on the water? If the Mrs. is bored and I just mention "Buckskin" she lights up. There is a bathing suit store there that is her favorite, there are pool tables for me, and there is ice cream and video games for the kids. Everybody is happy except my wallet, but if it keeps her happy and on the water, I am all over it. Heck I'll save up for that!!

Now, just in case you think I go out on the water to go barhopping and bathing suit shopping my favorite trip is a two hour cruise across Lake Mead to Mushroom Reef, a drop in at Wishing Well cove, an hour down in Bonelli Bay, a cruise into Temple Bar marina to look at boats, a night cruise to end the day etc. etc. and not going anywhere to spend money :rolleyes: Thankfully she likes most of that too, but the fact is she'll be done at 3:00PM with that example so I need to forgo the night cruise. Just the way it is on that trip.