Help for a fuel pump replacement

mfarish

Cadet
Hello all, I hope someone can put me onto an online source for my fuel pump. Iboats does not list my Johnson 135HP pump. Mine is a 1974 model engine with the separate vacuum hose going from the pump to the crankcase vacuum fitting. Will any other HP engines of this era work with my 135HP motor?? If not, does anyone know an internet site that sells a replacement for this motor. I have tried many of them but they do not list the 1974 Johnson 135HP engine..........<br /><br />Thanks for any replies!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Help for a fuel pump replacement

You can get the #438559 fuel pump for your 135 at any Johnson-Evinrude dealer for about $48.

Hi im doing a replacement vro to pump. im new to this and im looking for some pictures or guides on what has to be done. any help would be great trying to go fishing this weekend.HELP!!!!!! vro pump is off. fuel in to the new pump is marked the out is not so im stuck with two outlets im not sure where they go...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You'd be much better off to start a new topic and list the model of the motor you have. Kinda hard for us to see it from here, if ya know what I mean.

im new to the site and have yet to figure out how to list new topic. 1985 70 hp evinrude vro #e70tlcos.

seen some on line for 13 bucks. but dont think i trust that. 1985 evinrude no one has the books on these late models in store.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The standard pump will have either 2 or 3 hose nipples. On the 3 hose model you'll have fuel in, fuel out and the pulse line. Fuel in is the nipple on the cap. The nipple closest to the block is the pulse line.

For now we'll assume you're using the 3 nipple pump.

3 nipples yes. the in is marked the other two are not. one goesto carbs other to pulse line. both nipples are not the same so im figuring pulse line is the smaller nipple ?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Hello all, I hope someone can put me onto an online source for my fuel pump. Iboats does not list my Johnson 135HP pump. Mine is a 1974 model engine with the separate vacuum hose going from the pump to the crankcase vacuum fitting. Will any other HP engines of this era work with my 135HP motor?? If not, does anyone know an internet site that sells a replacement for this motor. I have tried many of them but they do not list the 1974 Johnson 135HP engine..........<br /><br />Thanks for any replies!

Try this. Plug your year and model in and select fuel pump.
http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f

Looks like it is a #0385784

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

seen some on line for 13 bucks. but dont think i trust that. 1985 evinrude no one has the books on these late models in store.

I wouldn't.. I think you need P/N BRP-0438559. Go to www.ishopmarine.com. Find the link to Johnson>1974>135HP. There are two different models, you'll have to check the motor. The P/N's for the fuel pumps look the same for both models. This site will give you a decent exploding parts view of the fuel pump and break down the cost. It looks like $83.41 for that pump. I've had good experiences ordering parts from them before.

Good luck

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

Here is the million dollar question:
Say your pump is shot,
If you raise the gas tank above the motor, will the fuel gravity feed to the carbs?
or will the primer bulb still go soft after a few minutes and starve the motor of fuel?

I suspect I have a weak fuel pump, and raising the tank a little seems to help sometimes.

The standard pump will have either 2 or 3 hose nipples. On the 3 hose model you'll have fuel in, fuel out and the pulse line. Fuel in is the nipple on the cap. The nipple closest to the block is the pulse line.

For now we'll assume you're using the 3 nipple pump.

hey i got the pump on starts and runs but when i put it in the water in gear it sputters out. had a buddy restrict air into top carb and it takes off and runs fine.whats this problem?