Onboard Tool Kits

kidafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

Just curious as to what tools you keep on board for emergencies/repairs on the water?

I have a 2005 Mercruiser 3L and am after some advice on what I should be carrying with me at all times when on the water :)

Cheers,

Chris

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Onboard Tool Kits

I carry engine oil, power steering/trim pump oil, stern drive oil (I have an internal oil bottle, not sure if you have one as well). For spares I carry spark plugs, fuses (for engine and instruments), light bulbs, electrical wire, electrical tape, also a spare prop and hub parts (Flo-torq II). Tools are plug spanner, prop spanner and a hand carry box with various spanners, pliers, screwdrivers, a test light probe, 'stanley knife', files. When I am travelling away I also take my box of trailer spares (includes a complete hub with bearing, spare bearings and tools to fit, grease) and a spare winch cable lives in the car permanently.

Chris........

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

in no particular order: Spare prop and nut, prop wrench, 3/8 socket set, up to 3/4 including plug socket (whatever you need to get the plugs out), Crescent wrench, couple of sparkplugs, screwdriver set, diagonal cutters, needlenose pliers, waterpump pliers, hose clamps, duct tape, insulated wire, voltmeter, flashlight, couple of quarts of oil some p/s fluid, fuses, spare bulbs for nav and anchor lights, antifreeze (for closed cooling). That is all i can think of for now;)

kidafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

stern drive oil (I have an internal oil bottle, not sure if you have one as well).

When you refer to it as an internal oil bottle do you mean the gear oil reservoir in the engine compartment? Yes I do have one of these.... No need to carry gear oil then?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

When you refer to it as an internal oil bottle do you mean the gear oil reservoir in the engine compartment? Yes I do have one of these.... No need to carry gear oil then?

Re-read my post. I have an internal gear oil reservoir AND I carry the oil.

If you have the internal gear oil reservoir you can top it up if need be.

No gear oil reservoir, no point in carrying the oil as you can't refill the drive at sea.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I like to take a spare fan or serpentine belt. I hate when those break in the middle of a fishing trip. Maybe a spare water seperator canister. You also need the tools to install any of the spare parts.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

This topic has been covered countless times, and even in the last week there was a thread on it. Search is your friend!

I was just going to say that lol

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Add butane soldering iron, propane torch, and BFH to the list, and you've got my kit.

I've moved almost all of my 'standard'/imperial wrenches to the boat, and left my metric stuff in the garage. All my cars are euro, and the boat is all that I use the other stuff on.