Cleaning out saltwater motor when living in an apartment.

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an issue that I'm sure many others have had to deal with. I live in an apt. complex and don't have a place to flush my motor after a day in the saltwater. We have carports to store our boats but no flushing area b/c the complex it technically on a nature preserve.

How can I flush my motor each time I go in the salt water?

holloway

Cadet
Re: Cleaning out saltwater motor when living in an apartment.

Some car washes have a water faucet available, might have to bring your own hose though. I would be sure to patronize the car wash itself while there, as well. Wouldn't want to abuse the use of the faucet.

Schmoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can get a bucket big enough to drop your lower unit in, then fill it with tap water, fire it up for a minute, then shut down.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Some launch ramps have freshwater washdown areas too. Might want to check for one of those.

woosterken

Lieutenant

stop at a fresh water lake on the way home,back her in and fire it up for a few minutes?

woosterken

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget to flush the trailer.

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

brilliant, thanks!

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

had the same issue about 8 year sago when I lived in an apt, they had a no car washing rule, there are usually faucets for the maintenance guys to power wash or simply just have water available, get a long hose and be quick about it....
I also used to take a quick detour to a canal and dunk the trailer ( leave everything tied down and the drain plug out ) and then pull up out of the water a bit and quick run will flush it while it drained out

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe you tried this already. Have a talk with building management, let him know your situation. If you pay your rent, it shouldn't be a problem to protect your investment. You would only be running the water for a couple of minutes. They SHOULD :rolleyes: understand that and allow you to use the complex spigot, but you never know.