85hp suzuki hydraulics

Don252

Recruit
I'm having trouble raising or lowering my engine. Sometimes it just won't go down. I've removed the filler cap on the hydraulics unit and hear a small pfft. And that sometimes works. The engine goes up or down then. Now it refuses to go down even after putting oil in the filler hole. I can't remove the manual screw to lower the engine either. Help

James R

Commander
Re: 85hp suzuki hydraulics

Try using an impact driver to free up the manual release screw. Take care. I have no idea which motor year you are referring to so I dont know whether the motor should be up or down to check or refill the fluid. Does the pump run in both directions.

James R

Commander

An additional warning. If you do free up the manual relief do not back it out more than one and one half turns. A seal will drop out if you do and then the motor will have to be removed from the boat.

Don252

Recruit

Thanks James R. We freed it up yesterday and motor dropped right down. Only loosened it up far enough to drop the engine. Did it the old fashioned way, by tapping the screw driver and helping with a vice grip. All is well. Thanks again.:p