5.7L Mercruiser - Adding An Oil Pan Drain Hose - Good Or Bad Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dangit

Seaman Apprentice
I may have to pull my engine for other reasons. If I do I thought about adding an oil pan drain hose. Is this a good or bad idea?

Thank you.

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 5.7L Mercruiser - Adding An Oil Pan Drain Hose - Good Or Bad Idea?

I have a drain hose on my 5.7. Neat idea pulling the hose out the drain plug... I've found no matter how warm the engine, it still drips out like molasses... Easier for me just to suck it out the dipstick tube.

Dangit

Seaman Apprentice

I have a drain hose on my 5.7. Neat idea pulling the hose out the drain plug... I've found no matter how warm the engine, it still drips out like molasses... Easier for me just to suck it out the dipstick tube.

What about pumping it out of the hose?

flashback

Captain

Can't really comment on the good or bad of it. but I have had mine set up like that for several years and it works good for me........:)

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

IMHO the drain hose is great, been going that route for 20yrs. It does drain a little slower, but on winterizing day, I let 'er drain for an hr and alls good, I also dont have an oily tool to store.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I LOVE mine!!!! I don't care how slow it drains, I just come back later.

FWIW Mercruiser did have a service letter to disconnect them though. Apparently some people left them hanging and then they got all the way out while trailering, and then ripped off, and then no oil, and then started (I guess without plug too). Voila, instant engine job needed ;)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No mess!!!! When I had a Mercruiser oil change was a PITA. No room for my fat fingers or a drain pan. If I didn't sell her a hose was in the plans. +1

91rr

Seaman

I just had a buddy almost toast his engine as a result from one. He keeps his boat docked at a marina all summer so he never pulls his boat out of the water or it would have been caught. The hose developed a leak and leaked most of the oil into the bilge. Granted if he had checked the oil level every time he went out it would have been caught too, but really how many of us do it even though we saw we do and know we should. Luckily he had a low oil pressure alarm that alerted him before he fried it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I have one on my 454. I put it on before I installed the engine. you can see in the picture below with the brass cap on the end.

It's clamped to the port riser and connected to the pan drain. I didn't like using the dipstick tube because the tube didn't go all the way into the bottom of the pan.

It wouldn't fit though the bilge drain and I didn't want to do it that way because it's even slower than sucking it though the dipstick tube.

All I do is hook up my Moeller vac pump, pump it about 15 strokes, and go on the filter.

After 5 min or so (cold or hot), the oil is sucked out.

DSCN1850.jpg

Volphin

Lieutenant

I have a wonderful setup that drains the oil in 3 minutes flat. I use a Fumoto Valve with a nipple for large aquarium tubing. The Fumoto Valve replaces your drain plug on your oil pan. It is double detent and spring loaded. Simply place the tubing over the nipple, press down on the lever (out of detent position) and rotate 90 degrees ccw. Oil will now flow from the valve, through the tubing, out your drain plug hole and into your waiting waste oil receptacle. They come in many sizes. I even have one on my riding mower because I got tired of spilling oil all over the deck.

As a side note, you also get to see the condition of the oil as it drains. I had a water problem I caught at the beginning of the season because when I drained the oil, a quart of water came out first. :eek:

This system saved me from some further engine damage for sure. And it will not leak as it is spring loaded and detented.
Use of simple aquarium hose (5/16 ID?) means that even if you forget it and the hose pops off on the highway the valve will remain closed. The tubing just pops off the brass nipple. They can be found at http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ They come in nipple and non nipple. Maybe it's just fun saying nipple. IDK. :rolleyes:

V

Volphin

Lieutenant

Oh, total cost was under $10. But that was 7 years ago... LOL

V

Dangit

Seaman Apprentice

I have a wonderful setup that drains the oil in 3 minutes flat. I use a Fumoto Valve with a nipple for large aquarium tubing. The Fumoto Valve replaces your drain plug on your oil pan. It is double detent and spring loaded. Simply place the tubing over the nipple, press down on the lever (out of detent position) and rotate 90 degrees ccw. Oil will now flow from the valve, through the tubing, out your drain plug hole and into your waiting waste oil receptacle. They come in many sizes. I even have one on my riding mower because I got tired of spilling oil all over the deck.

As a side note, you also get to see the condition of the oil as it drains. I had a water problem I caught at the beginning of the season because when I drained the oil, a quart of water came out first. :eek:

This system saved me from some further engine damage for sure. And it will not leak as it is spring loaded and detented.
Use of simple aquarium hose (5/16 ID?) means that even if you forget it and the hose pops off on the highway the valve will remain closed. The tubing just pops off the brass nipple. They can be found at http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ They come in nipple and non nipple. Maybe it's just fun saying nipple. IDK. :rolleyes:

V

Nice idea but I can't reach under my oil pan to the plug and I have long arms.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yeah. If you connect a hose to the pan drain and suck it out with a vac pump, depending on where you secure the end of the hose, you don't even have to get your hands dirty. I hate reaching standing on my head and reaching into a dirty bilge to do ANYTHING!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

my SeaRay has a factory drain hose. absolutely love it.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Well, if you can't reach it then go in through the dipstick tube, but don't use those drill pumps. I meant to mention this earlier, but after years of searching I found the perfect tool to help me remove lubricants that are a royal pain to get to... like my Durango front diff, LOL. It is called the LiquiVac. Takes a little longer than the Fumoto Valve, but works very well. Find it here http://www.liquivac.com/ or at Lowes. Get the larger size. The small ones are for lawn mowers.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.