aaaand so it begins - starcraft rebuild

North Beach

Commander
Re: aaaand so it begins - starcraft rebuild

Matt, remember I'm a newb at this stuff and any comment I make is half ignorance and half what happened to me the first and only time I've done it.

With that said, when I glassed my floor it turned out great for something you'd cover up with vinyl or carpet, but to leave it as a finished surface on something like a console sticking up for all to see I don't think so. I'm not sure what the process is for something like that but the big problem that I saw in my application was the seams. Just imagine that sheet soaking wet laying flat to the wood and then imagine the seam humping up. Also I had issues with the loose strands where I cut the material. Then the stuff turns hard as a rock when it dries so I just imagine it takes many coats to get to the point where you've kindof smoothed it all over. I'm sure I could have achieved that but who knows how many coats it would have taken. I know one ir two rolled coats of resin would not have done it.

Hopefully one of the glass guys will chime in and educate us glass challenged folks:D

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the heads-up, NB. Yet another one of my hobbies is car stereo. Through that, I've become pretty familiar with fiberglass (custom enclosures, etc....), along with the whole 12 volt universe (I'm actually looking forward to wiring my boat). Maybe I'll epoxy the insides of my bench, console, and tank cover to make them waterproof and glass the outsides.

sschefer... guilty as charged. I'm already thinking about a smaller starcraft (16 footer probably) for the bay/estuary early-season striper game in Massachusetts and Rhode Island... more fun than words can describe - especially on the fly rod.

... next year!

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Time to show off some goodies!

This photo is all electrical - there's about $400 sitting on the bench here - all marine grade tinned (anyone thinking they can get by with regular wire... do yourself a favor - go marine grade. The previous owner(s) of my boat went the cheap route with mods and repairs - I yanked at least a mile of rusted mess out during the tear-down phase):

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...authkey=Gv1sRgCLis177855WxrgE&feat=directlink

Here's a run-down of what's in this photo:
Back row: (right to left) rule-mate 500 gph bilge pump (with integrated float switch) to replace the one that came in the boat (crap), new float switch to replace the one that was hooked up to the rule-mate 2000 gph that I bought last year (I had the old float switch laying around), new rule three-way bilge switch for the new pump (the 2000 gph already has one), new waterproof switch panel (got it 30% off at boaters world), 50 ft. of 14 gauge red, black, and white.

Second row: bunch of adhesive-lined heat shrink for various wire gauges, yellow 6 gauge to run from my johnnyrude 115 to a battery isolater (not pictured), 30 ft. of 14 gauge 3-wire bilge pump cable, 4 gauge pos/neg battery cable (to suppliment some additional 4 gauge I bought last year), 6 gauge pos/neg to run from house battery in stern to ground and fuse terminals in console,

Third row: bunch of ring terminals in various sizes, 16 gauge gray for tach, 16 gauge yellow for trim down relay (I couldn't get green for this), 16 gauge blue for trim up relay and for instrument lighting, and a bag of wire ties with a hole built in for screwing them down.

This one speaks for itself (about $350 here)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...authkey=Gv1sRgCLis177855WxrgE&feat=directlink

Not pictured are the tach and trim gauges on the way. No speedo - gps will tell me my speed. I already ordered a tach - but being the brainiac that I am, I didn't realize outboard and I/O tachs are different, had to send it back to exchange for the right tach. The top-mount shift/throttle (teleflex ch-7500) is dreamy. The wheel... well, I just had to. Still shopping for a replacement compass.

This hatch will become my anchor locker in the bow. Later photos will explain this in detail as I get to it.

Random items here:
a new/old trim/tilt for my johnnyrude, new coupler (and lock) for the trailer, some engine paint, zinc for the motor, and full extension heavy duty slides for drawers I will build into my bench seat.

Fuel stuff so far
40 gallon moeller below-deck that will be mounted above deck in front of the console, fuel hose from tank to motor, new prime bulb, stainless clamps, and you can't see it but a new vent fixture that has upward elbow bend built into it. I still need: fill hose, vent hose, fill deck fitting, and my buddy Joe is fabbing up some mounting brackets for the tank.

NB can give you the low-down on these gems:

For those of you not from around here: Rhode Island is/was crammed with jewelry and silverware makers - not as many as before, but still a good amount. My afore-mentioned buddy Joe works as an OSHA compliance officer/jack of all trades for a local jewelry maker (along with a few other gigs - Joe is one of those guys who can do everything.... very well). Unannounced to me, Joe called upon one of his guys to make me a brass tuna. Joe knows that tuna are an obsession for me. This brass tuna is a one-off. Nothing else like it - couldn't buy it for any money. This will go on the console somewhere.

There is a ton of stuff not pictured, including the $1000 bucks of electronics I bought for the boat last year (gps and sounder), my epoxy and glass mat that has yet to arrive, all manners of paint I've yet to acquire (non-skid and topside paint), and a million things I haven't thought of yet.

When I bought this boat - the guy described it as "turn-key". Hmmm... I doubt it. With the money I'll have into it by the end, I could have bought a much better boat - this has been brought up in other restoration threads... To the folks who would say "sell it and cut your losses - buy a better boat..." my reply is this: I'll know every inch of this girl, and know that it's been done to the best of my ability, and it will mean much much more to me than any real "turn-key" boat (if they exist - and I'd argue that they don't, really).

Some of us enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

North Beach

Commander

To the folks who would say "sell it and cut your losses - buy a better boat..." my reply is that I'll know every inch of this girl, and know that it's been done to the best of my ability, and it will mean much much more to me than any real "turn-key" boat (if they exist - and I'd argue that they don't, really).

Some of us enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

You hit the nail on the head there Matt.

I spent some time at the local marina picking some of those little items(not really little according to my credit card statement) today.

Can't wait to see this boat when you get it back together.

What's the story on that fuel tank-where, what, how much, etc?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

excellent Matt..

I was eyeballing those speaker cut outs and was thinking they looked pretty professional!

And any boat can be turn key..Its just the confidence of what will happen when you do turn it! lol

North Beach

Commander

I was eyeballing those speaker cut outs and was thinking they looked pretty professional!

Really! Soon you folks will figure out that I'm more of a hatchet carrying type carpenter:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Really! Soon you folks will figure out that I'm more of a hatchet carrying type carpenter:D

lol..but YOU can paint NB!

dont wanna say how many sheets of ply I wasted doing my deck!:eek:

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I love this thread, light hearted and no critic's!! Just a whole bunch of "Get er done" attitudes. NB's thread is the same way.. Hat's off to you all!

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good question, NB, and I'm glad you asked. I'd like to explain my logic on the tank and get some feedback, because it has been THE biggest difficulty as far as making decisions on this rebuild.

A 40 gallon tank may seem excessive for a tin boat, of any size, to many here. I run a 115 johnnyrude. I'd be lying if, when the tank was delivered, I didn't say "Holy #$$%%, this thing is huge, where am I going to put it?". I decided to live with the tank in my living room for a little while before committing or sending it back. Keep in mind - my boat will be run in all saltwater, all the time. After much thought and laying out the floor-plan, I decided to keep it. It takes up the same footprint as two six gallon tanks side by each on the floor. I carried at least 40 gallons of fuel all last year - 20 in the jerry-rigged tank in the port side of the spashwell (done by a previous owner, can you say LIST @ full?), and the rest in various tanks stuffed all over the place. I plan to put the new tank it in front of the console, which moves 240 lbs. (for 40 gallons of fuel) forward in the boat - and on center - better for cutting through waves rather than bouncing off of them, which you often get in a tin boat.

My rationale on the fuel/tank deserves a little backstory:

Cardinal rule of boating anywhere: expect the best, plan for the worst. While this is my first "real" boat - I've had a lot of experience on other boats, and fishing the saltwater from my kayak. There have been a few memorable occasions when things were on a knife's edge, and I (and my fellow salties) have been very glad to see the ramp. Things happen... but less and less as your time on the water increases. With regard to fuel, the rule of thumb is 1/3 your capacity for the trip out and 2/3 for the trip back. Even when staying close to shore (which I will be in this boat, except on the calmest day), it is surprising how much fuel one can burn. Also, I do plan on hanging a 140 (max rating for my boat) off the transom in the future.

As for specifics, the tank will be covered by a hinged cover that will open toward the bow. The fill will be fixed to the tank. I wanted to run the fill hose out to the gunnel, but that would have meant going under the floor with the fill hose. With the fill hose being lower than the tank, it would be impossible to fill the tank without spillage (and a lot of it, from my instinct). I know that the coast guard regs are specific about the fill location for a fixed tank - must prevent such and such amount of fuel spilling into the boat over such and such amount of time. My thinking here, though, is that I'm treating the tank as an above-deck tank, very securely fastened. With the fittings and vent of a below-deck tank, it is a better design than the red tanks I'd had placed all over the boat. I haven't come up with a final design for the vent. I'd asked the question in a separate thread with only one response. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks, everyone, for reading through my wandering thoughts on the fuel situation. Any input you have will be helpful. You guys are great. I wouldn't be carrying my rebuild out to this level if I didn't have your examples to follow. I said this to NB, and I'll say to all of you - I had no idea that my Starcraft would plug me into a community of such generous and enthusiastic comrades. I'm so glad I found this site last year.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Matthew, I'd vent it at the fill cap. Perko makes a cap with the vent built in. It's the one that I use. I think a couple of other companies make them also. I've had them on a couple of boats now and they work great. Most all of the newer bass and fish/ski's use them also.

Also, hat's off to you for knowing and abiding by the rule of thirds. I use it no matter where I go.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I love this thread, light hearted and no critic's!! Just a whole bunch of "Get er done" attitudes. NB's thread is the same way.. Hat's off to you all!

We're such a jovial bunch because we have far fewer fiberglass splinters chafing us in our drawers than all those other guys :)

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We're such a jovial bunch because we have far fewer fiberglass splinters chafing us in our drawers than all those other guys :)

amen to that, brother.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm back! Man - my thread had slipped to page 8. I was out of action for Easter weekend, but I've been busy in the meantime. Most of my progress has been on the bench and console. However, with the great weather on Friday (it was in the 70's), I 'came down' with something and took a vacation day.

My epoxy was delivered on Tuesday. I went with the US composites stuff - the thin stuff; 635, I think - it was what they recommended for the best penetration into wood. I went with the medium hardener - 3:1 ratio. I dragged all of my floor pieces out from behind the recliner in the living room and onto the front lawn.

and pretty much had it. The stuff went on pretty easily - I basically poured streams of it out onto the ply and spread it with a brush. I planned on two coats. US composites info stated that if a second coat was to be applied, it should be done within the open time of the first coat. So once the first coat was done, I went back to the beginning with coat #2. The first coat had all but sunk into the ply. The second coat remained pretty much on top and looked like this:

It had hardened by evening. I didn't want to bring it back into the house with fresh epoxy, so I put them under the tarp in the boat. I went through a good bit of epoxy on this. I ordered two gallons (with 2/3 gallon of hardener). I went through 2/3 gallon of the resin - just on the underside. I won't be quite as liberal from here out - but the underside of the floor is the only surface that won't see primer and paint on top the epoxy - so a little extra there won't hurt.

Bench: Nothing fancy here. It's just a plywood box. Having no solid plan for seating, I grabbed two cooler seat cushions from Boater's World that were about the right size and designed the bench around them. It's just screwed and glued together. Even though the screws will theoretically never see moisture, I went with stainless to be on the safe side. Dropped 60 bucks on the two cushions. I probably have another 40 dollars or so into materials. While it's not fancy - I've only got $100 into into it, instead of $500 - which was the cheapest leaning post I could find.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mpprovo...7855WxrgE&feat=directlink#5326526057339809378

the seat cushion will be hinged so it opens toward the console. A little extra storage space here. I was planning on using drawers that opened from sides of the bench - but I would have lost a lot of space doing it that way. Plus, this was much easier.

from the back: Here is where the boat's cooler will be stored. Those notches you see are to accommodate the cooler handles. Hey, it was either that or cut the handles off (and the prospect of carrying a cooler full of ice and such with no handles.... no thanks). Add a set of rod holders left over from last year, and we're nearly done. I hit all of the edges I could with a round-over bit. Instead of standard wood filler, which would shrink, I filled in all of the screw holes with auto body filler.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mpprovo...7855WxrgE&feat=directlink#5326526212563702370

Here's the console - same construction method as the bench. I've yet to sand it, round over the edges, and fill in the screw holes. I spent most of today laying out the instruments and controls and cutting the holes for them. I put everything in/on it for the photo. I'm pleased with the layout - MUCH better than what was previously in the boat. There will be a panel that locks onto the console, covering all of the electronics and instruments. I haven't settled on hardware for this, so it's yet to be made.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mpprovo...7855WxrgE&feat=directlink#5326526048495056834

One more shot of the instrument panel:

I've designed it such that the instrument panel can be wired while out of the console and screwed in when finished. This will give me much better access for this task. Also, should my instrument needs change (oh, I don't know... maybe a bigger gps, 4-stroke, or....), it'll be easy to fab a new panel if necessary. I'm keeping the original compass - it's a top-mount Ritchie - basic model (I'm running out of dough here, folks!). That will be centered on top of the console - not fancy, but she'll do. I'm planning to try my hand at bending plexiglass with a heat gun to fab the windshield. Seems like it'd be easy... (famous last words...)

That's all for now. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has been up to, so I'm off to catch up with the forum.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

That is one great looking console & bench!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Really great work. Love the cooler storage spot and your console is fantastic.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Wow,

Flipping awesome stuff going on here Matthew, center console is crazy cool!

everything is cool... ;)

Where did you get marine wire Greg's?

North Beach

Commander

Matt,
Really great lookin stuff there man! Just coming back to life from a looong weekend on the job and got some good stuff to look at here:D

Now, I think I have a boat somewhere............

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where did you get marine wire Greg's?

Bingo. We have a winner. Thumbs up for Greg's.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. When you have your nose to the grindstone, you lose perspective on the whole project. I'm mostly thinking about the 4 billion things yet to be done, but it's motivating to get some positive feedback on what's been accomplished so far.

That reminds me. I was in Boater's World the other day (they're really starting to clear out), pawing over this and that. I got to talking with another guy about the merits of NOT buying wire @ boater's world. Even with clearance prices, you can do better elsewhere. Thought I did the guy a favor - he was holding a 4 gauge battery cable with terminators; all two feet of this product cost $69 (really, boater's world?). Anyhow, we get onto my project and all of a sudden he's Johnny Nay-sayer. He tried three or four times to tell me that I was dreaming if I thought I'd be launching this YEAR. What a jack*****. Hey, if you've got nothing nice to say... oh, and about that battery cable, I've got a great idea about where you can 'install' it.

Ok, done venting. After staring at the console for a good 1/2 hour last night, I decided to make a change. I'm going to move the VHF under the tach and expand the original VHF hole for a watertight "glove box" of sorts. I need a safe place for cell phones, cameras, ipods, etc. I have a 12 volt recepticle for charging things that I am planning to install inside the box also.

Feel free to chime in if I'm forgetting something major or you guys see a better way to do something.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Ha, gotta laugh, that's how I deal with jerks like that. Makes them mad as heck because they suddenly realize they have both feet in their mouth.