How much time w/ coolant leak problem?

ChazzL

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1982 Mercruiser 470 #6180420. It seems I have coolant leaking from the front of the motor. Looks like I need to do a repair on the seals and camshaft. Got that. Question is: is it still safe to operate for a little while? I don't think it's been leaking long, but I need to do some trial runs to check out some issues. Is it safe? Can I run at high rpms? Or should I "shut it down" until I can repair the seals?

ChazzL

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How much time w/ coolant leak problem?

If the outer seal is gone (allowing it to leak out) its a sure bet the inner seal is just as worn and if its not already happening it will soon be mixing water into the oil. If you want to keep the engine, I wouldn't run it until its fixed.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking into the repair process. Looks involved, but I think I can do it.

dry dock

Seaman Apprentice

ive done it twice make sure you use speedey sleve on the cam or youll be doin it again......good luck....

ChazzL

Seaman Apprentice

Will do. I still have to figure out where to buy the speedy sleaves, and what size. But I'm working on it!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Will do. I still have to figure out where to buy the speedy sleaves, and what size. But I'm working on it!

I think these guys have them: http://www.rocketseals.com/catalog/...di-sleeves/speedi-stainless-steel-wear-sleeve you can probably also get them from your local bearing store. You will have to measure the cam diameter to make sure, then talk to the dealer. You can go here: http://www.vsm.skf.com/en-US/HeavyDuty/KitsAndTools/SpeediSleeve.aspx and download their catalog, lots of info.