Is 235 too hot?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Is 235 too hot?

Cross your fingers you didn't melt the pocket cover.

replaced the water pump because some water was comming outa the weep hole

Okay.... what water pump we talking about here? The only 1 with a weep hole would be the circuilating pump on the front of the engine.

Still start with the 2 questions I posed to you earlier. And going with what Don said. Did you replace just the impellar or did you replace the entire thing including the base and the cover?

luv2fishN.M.

Seaman Apprentice

were talking about both. replaced both the impeller and the circulating pump. the motor would overheat at an idle but once the rpms were up to 2500 it would coo back down. thats what got me looking at everything. than i found the weep hole leaking. replaced the whole housing. upper and lower.thanks.

fishrdan

Admiral

I dont know what to do?

Get the IR thermometer as DonS suggested to verify the temps. I picked one up from Harbor Freight for $30 and it was well worth the money diagnosing a problem I had. (Harbor Freight has cheaper ones too and I've also seen them at auto parts stores, hardware stores,,, but they were more expensive)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451

Could be a whole slew of things. When you replaced the impeller were any pieces of the old one missing, and if so, did you find all of the old pieces? Electrical issue between the gauge and sender? .....

(sorry, a bit behind in the thread....)

luv2fishN.M.

Seaman Apprentice

both. the one in the lower unit and the one on the motor. is there another one im missing?thanks.

luv2fishN.M.

Seaman Apprentice

well thanks for all the advise. all of you are awesome. i will take apart the lower unit tomorrow and check over everything again. thanks so much again:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you change the impeller in the out drive or just the one on the motor?

both. the one in the lower unit and the one on the motor. is there another one im missing?thanks.

Both :eek: :confused: :confused: There isn't a replaceable iimpeller on the engine. So, what impeller have you replaced on the engine, really????

luv2fishN.M.

Seaman Apprentice

sorry o meant the circulating pump on the motor. also replaced the impeller in the motor. sorry

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Both :eek: :confused: :confused: There isn't a replaceable iimpeller on the engine. So, what impeller have you replaced on the engine, really????

Imeant the circulating pump also give us a little credit don.:D

luv2fishN.M.

Seaman Apprentice

i think i need some sleep:eek: talk to you guys later. i just need to sleep on it. thanks again:D

chiefalen

Captain

So it's a new day and everyone calmed down ?

Ok you installed a new housing and impeller in the drive correctly ?

You installed a new t-stat ? When you did notice any impeller pieces there?

Pull the long hose from the transom that goes to the t-stat off the transom end, no pieces in there?

No pieces in the engine mounted circulating pump ?

Now start it with water always going to the drive, never start the motor unless there is water going to the drive.

Still overheats, shut it down never run the motor if it is above 190.

Remove the long hose at the t-stat, put water to the drive, start the boat hows the water flow out of the hose should be 3 feet shooting in the air, shut off the motor do this test for no more then 5-6 seconds. No water , then no water is making it's way to the motor understand ?

Good water to the t-stat then it's it's down the line somewhere clogged up.

Every hose after the t-stat got to be pulled looking for a clog. No clogs ?

Pull the risers. They clogged up ? The flappers missing, fell down and blocked the exhaust ?

When you over heat sometimes that happens just compounds the overheating problem.

When you get the risers off take a pic and post it.

ziggy

Admiral

whats the pocket cover?
it's a plastic piece that mounts to the bottom of your upper. the copper water pipe that comes out of your water pump housing in the lower mates to the water pocket cover in the upper. it's the connection between upper and lower for incoming water.
over heats can distort or melt the cover. it can leak at the seal where it's mounted to the upper.
i found mine leaking on my last boat while flushing water from ft to back getting impeller pieces out of the system. you DO NOT want to take the 4 screws out of this water pocket cover. they will likely break off. then you'll be sol as they are near impossible to get the broke ss 1/4-20 bolt out of the soft cast alum. upper housing. if you can't get them out. you need a new upper...
so don't even look crosseyed at them screws or they might break off. if it's leaking there or the water pocket cover is melted or distorted. you will obviously need to replace it. just be real carefull if you have to deal with it..

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

With no experience w/ marine 4.3's. I would like to add that 4.3's in auto's do not like getting above OEM operating temps at all or you will be into allot for a replacement engine or rebuild proceed with caution getting her too hot!!. What temp should the water be out of the discharge when on muffs?

luv2fishN.M.

Seaman Apprentice

do not have the manual but, don S said in previous threads that it should be running around 170. the thermostat a bought yesterday is a 143 deg. i took it out this morning just outa curiosity. the motor runs steady at 155 to 165:confused: does that make any sense at all? the thermostat should be wide open at 143. right? will it maybe run cooler once in the lake verses the muffs? thanks.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

possible you have a dud thermostat.
Throw it in a pot of hot water and see if it opens.

DO NOT run the motor without a t-stat outside of testing purposes.