Drip in carb

nemo2011

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a marine shop do a overhaul on my mercruiser carb in nov of 2010
I then found gas tank leak and bad stringers , all were fixed and motor installed! (May of 2011)
tried to start motor it started fine and runs fine for about 10 minutes then a drip apears in the carb and motor starts to falter!
checked and replaced both fuel water seperator and fuel line filter in carb.still the same!
what would my next steps be?

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Drip in carb

What kind of motor? What kind of carb? What do you mean by a "drip" in the carb?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I had a marine shop do a overhaul on my mercruiser carb in nov of 2010
I then found gas tank leak and bad stringers , all were fixed and motor installed! (May of 2011)
tried to start motor it started fine and runs fine for about 10 minutes then a drip appears in the carb and motor starts to falter!
checked and replaced both fuel water seperator and fuel line filter in carb.still the same!
what would my next steps be?

Howdy,

Well, since this is JUN 11, and you had a "marine shop" do the work, I would think they would offer a little longer than 1 month "warranty". You may have to convince them that the engine wasn't operated for 6mo or so.......

I would think it to be a good idea to go back to them and at least ask them if they could "fix" the problem if one exists......they may tell you to "take a hike" but in the these days of the internet, most shops would want to keep their customers happy

Regards,

Rick

nemo2011

Petty Officer 2nd Class

4.3 L mercruiser motor mercruiser Carb When I look down in the neck of the carb there is a drip and you can see fuel at the bottom of carb. Also I forgot to mention that the fuel keeps coming into carb for a fef seconds after motor is shut down!

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like the float is set too high. Once the motor is stopped, the fuel should stop immediately.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a leaking float valve.

It keeps dripping until the pressure from the fuel pump is depleted.

You also might be putting out too much pressure if it's not the original pump. Too much pressure will lift the needle right off the seat and cause float chamber overflow.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you may have a needle valve with a bit of dirt on the seat. Or the float level is too high, or ......... Needs to come apart again and looked at.

nemo2011

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all
I'll first try and see if mechanic will look at it, If not will go with all the suggestions here
Thanks much Guys!!

Knot2Bad

Cadet

Thank you all
I'll first try and see if mechanic will look at it, If not will go with all the suggestions here
Thanks much Guys!!

Have you ever tried rebuilding one yourself? The process is really straight forward and once you do....you wont be dependent on a marine mechanic any longer for your carb problems.

I would just grab the number off the carb and get a kit, new float, couple cans of carb cleaner and compressed air and just do the job myself. Don't forget about a couple beers too. ;-)

nemo2011

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have heard that carbs have a coating on the inside,and should be left on! as there is a possipility of removing with to much soaking in brake fluid.
please chime in on this!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I have rebuilt my share of 1, 2, 4 bbl carbs. I have never seen any sort of coating inside. (that could be removed by carb cleaning "stuff")

Cleanliness is the key when rebuilding a carb. Sometimes when you "rebuild", debris end up in idle fuel passages, idle air passages etc. It can happen to anyone rebuilding the carb and will cause all sorts of problems. Like DOn indicated, a little bit of debris (if not rinsed properly after soaking) can end up anywhere (like in the needle/seat)

Brake fluid? That's for brake systems. There are carb soaking solutions available......just follow the instructions for use.

Knot2Bad

Cadet

HT32 is correct! Nothing on the entire carb that can be removed with simple carb/choke cleaner. YouTube has allot of vids on the process that you may want to check out. I am assuming you have a quadrajet?

Stay away from the brake fluid!!!!