1st boat project. All info is welcome.

HM2107

Seaman
Hey everyone this is my first project. I am 17 and i found this website 2 weeks ago and now i am getting a boat to restore. Ok so i am going to go pick up this boat tomorrow and i will post more pictures tomorrow when i pick her up. SO for now i am posting the that the guy listed on the ebay listing.
The boat is a 4.4 meter or 14' 6" Pongrass Fiber glass boat. It has a old 1966 40 hp Johnson on it. The boat uses the older style Pulley and cable steering. The guy has the engine controls, they are now displayed in the picture.
Also i am not keeping the trailer as it would require to much work and money to fix it up so i am just gonna get a second hand trailer.
The seller said he replaced the transom and that the hull is solid and there are no soft spots. But i will throughly inspect it tomorrow. I Paid $250 for eveything and that was the sellers minimum.
Here are the Pics
Picture 6.jpgPicture 11.jpgPicture 7.jpgPicture 12.jpgPicture 9.jpg
Tell me what you think and also i will need lots of info and help from you guys for this Project.
HM2107
P.s i will be making youtube videos as well. and taking lots of pictures to document the process.

Last edited:

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1st boat project. All info is welcome.

Well sir welcome to the best site in the world for info on all things boating! Looks like you have a good base to start with and should be fun..Good luck!

That trailer doesn't look so bad. I would first do a compresion check on that OB and find a service manual.

BTW...This your second thread on this topic. The mods may want to delete one.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

HM2107,

That is a TOTAL restore. Make sure and ask the owner Why there is a Metal plate Bolted to the inside of the transom. It is NOT standard and should NOT be required. Looks VERY suspicious to me. The Deck looks BAD from what I can see but it could just be cuz its dirty. REALLY get under the hull and push around and make SURE there are no soft spots or deep gouges or holes. Yank and Pull on that transom and push and pull on the motor and see if the transom flexes at all. IT SHOULD NOT. The broken Windscreen is a problem. The are next to impossible to find for that vintage of boat and probably even harder to do so on your Island. I'd be VERY careful on this one!!!!

Art Bernard

Banned

It looks like you have allot of work ahead of you. As stated above really check out that transom and deck, otherwise if the engine runs, for $250 I think you did ok though you know it's going to cost much more than that to get up to speed right? Take your time and ask allot of questions, rushing into stuff that your not sure of can lead to epic failure so get a plan and make sure you know what to do before you do it. Most of all I wish you good luck and have fun:)

Art

HM2107

Seaman

hey
ok so i got the boat its looks good, no hull damage, cracks soft spots transom is good solid, floor is solid. There are 2 paint chips on the corner but that is just cosmetic and they don't go deep at all. I got it home and gave it a really good clean, all the black and green stuff all over the floor and hull is just moss/slime, i just scrubbed it clean and under all the crap is looks real nice, so now its clean i need to start somewhere. I am just going to start by filling all the small holes that are drilled into the top of the cap. I will fill then with fiber glass because the biggest it probably 3 mm. The transom need a sand,( the guy who i bought it off did a good jobs just didn't finish it by sanding and repainting it). I will post more pictures soon.
Boat history
Sat by the waters edge for a few years, was used a couple of times
then was given to a guy because it needed a transom replaced, sat in his back yard for a few year (this guy didn't have time or know how to replace the transom)
SO he gave it to his mate who replaced the transom, replace the impeller in the engine. And the the 1966 40 hp johson going alright 4 months ago, (this guy bought another "pongrass" beacause he wanted one with a front storage area for a anchor and rope.
I bought it off the guy above for $255

Last edited:

HM2107

Seaman

OK so here are the photos after i have cleaned it and dropped it on tires in my garage. The engine is a 1968 Johnson "Super Sea-Horse" "Electramatic" Model - RK 28 B
Shes old but i will get her going. Also does any one on her have a wiring diagram because i have a lot of wires but i don't know where most of them connect to the engine. But i have a friend who is a marine Electrician so he will come around and help me out.
IMG_0671.jpgIMG_0675.jpgIMG_0672.jpgIMG_0674.jpgIMG_0673.jpg

HM2107

Seaman

Last Photos Tell me what you think
IMG_0690.jpgIMG_0691.jpgIMG_0693.jpgIMG_0692.jpg

HM2107

Seaman

ok i need help for this part, when i got it the engine all the wiring was not connected to the engine, i need to know what this thing in the picture is so i can get a wiring diagram for it or ask someone how to re wire it.
p.s i included a picture or all the wiring it can with. It looks like more than there is
IMG_0697.jpgIMG_0696.jpgIMG_0685.jpg

HM2107

Seaman

ok can some one tell me what this thing is it has a brown wire coming off it which goes to the round thing (please tell me what the round thing is)
and the thing with the brown wire seems to me bolted close to the fly wheel in the picture i have unbolted it? HELP
Turn your head to the left you will get the picture better
IMG_0699.jpg
This is where the wire attaches to .....?
IMG_0696.jpg
IN this picture i am holding the unbolted (thing)
IMG_0702.jpg
Please help me find out what the brown wire thing is
and also the round thing with the red wire and black tube coming out from it.:confused:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If I'm not mistaken that is your automatic choke. Not sure what the wire is. You would be better served to post this on In the evinrude johnson motor section of the forum.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is there supposed to be a metal plate across the transom?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Um yeah that metal plate thing ????????? I hope it works out for you. That boat has character ! Style ! Good luck with 'er.. Keep us updated...

HM2107

Seaman

ok sorry guy i have just found out that the engine is a "1966" Johnson "Super Sea-Horse" 40hp- Model # RK28-B

kfa4303

Banned

Good motor you got there HM. Post the pics and questions about it in the Johnson/Evionrude forum for help. The good news is that there are lots of parts still available for your motor and many of the basic consumables (points, condensers, waterpump, carb kits, seal kits, etc....) can be purchased right here at iboats. Keep us posted. Good luck.

registeroot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HM2107,

That is a TOTAL restore. Make sure and ask the owner Why there is a Metal plate Bolted to the inside of the transom. It is NOT standard and should NOT be required. Looks VERY suspicious to me. The Deck looks BAD from what I can see but it could just be cuz its dirty. REALLY get under the hull and push around and make SURE there are no soft spots or deep gouges or holes. Yank and Pull on that transom and push and pull on the motor and see if the transom flexes at all. IT SHOULD NOT. The broken Windscreen is a problem. The are next to impossible to find for that vintage of boat and probably even harder to do so on your Island. I'd be VERY careful on this one!!!!

lol @ island. try continent!

looks like a handy wee boat but give it a good investigation . flex test the transom. i.e. pull and shake it to see if it flexes. if not your good to go.

HM2107

Seaman

ok so far i have ripped out the seat bases and am doing a full floor inspection. I have worked out the wiring so now i need to wait to buy a battery and i have also located a parts dealer. now i need to try sell my motor bike, motorized bike and unicycle, so i can get some money into this thing.

HM2107

Seaman

i need to know something. on this model engine i have it has a Shift switch which is in the controls box. Now the controls box didn't come with one so i need to buy one but there are $400 just for that one part. Now i am thinking can i buy a 3 way switch instead and put it in the dash. So when i switch "up" it goes to Forward and when i switch "down" in goes in reverse and when the switch it in the middle i am in neutral.
What do you think?

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That might work, depends on how the shift mechanisim is wires. Like suggested already, post all your engine-specific questions in the evinrude/johnson outboard section, you will have more guys floating around there who are knowledgeable about your engine.