Honda 225 will not rev higher than 3000 rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverrat8428

Seaman Apprentice
Motor began missing last week and than would not take extra throttle above 3000 rpm
Tried to pump fuel bulb but did not help
The engine has been trouble free until this began. Here's what I have changed so far.
Upon inspection of the fuel tank, i saw some brown sticky crude that looks bad. So we began to clean things up.. New fuel line, new fuel seperator and a filter change in the clear fuel bowl. No change still will not go WO..
Eliminated the fuel tank by running on a differant tank with no contamination, new spark plugs.... same problem.
removed the bottom cowling and changed the high speed filter screen and 0 rings and cleaned the clear water seperator on the engine... Still the engine willl not go any faster than 3000rpm
Note: the clear fuel bowl is always less than 1/2 full is that normal and please help...Bill

dummyman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Honda 225 will not rev higher than 3000 rpm

Dear Friend,
Clear bowl is normaly less than half so dont have to worry on that.
Does your engine surge while running on full throttle?
Please check up your High pressure filter in the engine and let me know.
Regards

Riverrat8428

Seaman Apprentice

did surge before changing high speed filter out, it was restricted and now it just will not go any faster than 3000.. Get to 3000 about 3/4 throttle and than it will not go faster as throttles is increased

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Look carefully at the vacume operated solennoid that controls the butterflies in the intake manifold.It should move freely with simple finger pressure.A fuel pump pressure test would also be usefull in this situation.

Riverrat8428

Seaman Apprentice

Will check the out the butterflies///Do you know where and what fuel pressure parameters are?

linehand

Recruit

When you removed the plugs did any of them look different than the others? Sounds like you may have a gummed injector. Based on the poo find.

Riverrat8428

Seaman Apprentice

The plugs looked fine. And were replaced. I have returned home so I have left the engine problem but am trying to help a friend get it going. There was little maintenace on the engine or fuel system and the motors performance show this. However it ran perfect until it begain to miss. At that point because I have some expirience repairing outboards I began to learn about a Honda 225. I am passing on any information you can give to get this fixed and I appreciate your help...Bill

marineswarm

Recruit

I am having the same problem with a different motor, all of a sudden go no where fast. Tomarrow i am going to do a run through of the fuel system, the bulb looks old and a dry rotted. i cant explain why in neutrel i can put the throttle all the way and runs fine, but when put in gear, and throtle up i cant plane out, and stuck at like 3000 rpm.

D

DJ

i cant explain why in neutrel i can put the throttle all the way and runs fine, but when put in gear, and throtle up i cant plane out, and stuck at like 3000 rpm.

Simple, the difference is LOAD. An engine will rev, no load, no problem. You find issues when you make it work (load).

marineswarm

Recruit

Simple, the difference is LOAD. An engine will rev, no load, no problem. You find issues when you make it work (load).

Well I replaced the fuel line hose and bulb, ( the old one was rubbery and seemed dry rotted) And the boat ran like a champ for about 30 min. then poof runns like water in gas, or what i am leaning towards is one carb is gummmed up, and maybe a float sticking, or orface, clogged, i put some marine carb cleaner (2 4) cleaner and fuel conditioner and i thinking after a night of sittting it might clean its self. if it corrects it self and then does it again i think i can assume that there may be a particle of soemthing flosting around clogging or sticking something. i will keep posted if want.

Riverrat8428

Seaman Apprentice

The engine in question is a fuel injected engine. that I have been told may have more filters than the two I have changed. everything from the tank to include the tank has been replaced or thorougly cleaned. two filters were changed in the engine. the easy on next to the water seperator which was checked and cleaned and the more difficult at the back of the engine below the exhust chest or water jacket. there was a small improvement after the rear lower filter (screen) was changed and the filter was restricted when I tried to blow through it. This is where I have left off. What have other found to be a problem with this engine? Looking for some help. I have run the engine on a seperate differant fuel tank with the same exact results... thanks Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.