1983 Evinrude 140hp - Won't Idle

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm the original owner of a 1983 Evinrude 140hp V4 Outboard on a 1983 Glastron 177SSV 17' runabout.

This motor has never been very good at idling but this year its gotten much worse. When Idling its like its running on less than all four cylinders and lacks power to pull up a skier or load the boat back on the trailer. It seems to run much better at higher rpms and cruises fairly normally.

I recently pulled off the carburetor's, cleaned out all the orifices I could find out with carb cleaner and installed rebuild kits (float needle, seat, and gaskets). I had to guess at the float level (made the top of the float level with the casting) as I didn't have a manual and the local parts guy was no help. I also put a kit in the fuel pump, replaced all fuel lines and primer bulbs from the splash well of the boat to the carbs under the motor hood and replaced the spark plugs. The hoses from the bottom side of the splash well to the built in tank and anything internal to the tank are original to the boat.

Can sticking reed valves cause this type of problem? If so how do I check for that condition and is there something you can use to free them up?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

iwombat

Captain
Re: 1983 Evinrude 140hp - Won't Idle

If you didn't pull the core plugs in the carb and clean behind them (and replace), as well as remove the fixed jets and clean them and the passages behind you only did half the job required to clean the carb.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

As iwombat. Half the job done maybe ???

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Reed valves don't stick, and a failure is rare. Compression, ignition, fuel. Do these test's.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you didn't pull the core plugs in the carb and clean behind them (and replace), as well as remove the fixed jets and clean them and the passages behind you only did half the job required to clean the carb.

I pulled the core plugs in one carb and everything looked clean so I didn't do the other. Whats the best procedure to get the core plugs out without any damage to the casting? Whats the best procedure for re-installation? I did remove both fixed jets in one carb but only one jet in the other, on that carb I could unscrew the jet but it would not drop out of the hole its in.

I used lots of spray carb cleaner but didn't soak them. The insides of both carbs were very clean looking when I started. I sprayed each passage and fuel came out the other side of all easily. Perhaps a better soaking is in order, what should I use for this and how long should the parts soak?

I'm looking at getting an OEM service manual for the engine, can anyone help me find a good deal on one? A #393765 reprint from Ken Cook is $78.

Compression, ignition, fuel. Do these test's.

Whats the best way to test the Power Packs and Coils?
Is it possible that this engine needs a good de-carb performed on it?

Also, I have a question about fuel and timing: Back when the lead was taken out of gasoline, Evinrude sent me a letter saying I should either back the timing down 4deg or always run Premium fuel (91 Octane). I didn't want to lose performance so I've always ran Premium ever since. Years later they sent another letter that seemed to contradict that. Given today's fuel, what should I run and what should timing be set at?

Thanks for all help.

iwombat

Captain

Removing the cores can be a little tricky. I use a small drill bit and drill through them on the press. I set up the press so I can't go too deep. Then you can use a pick and pry it out. To repack them I use some bronze stock and a rawhide mallet - you just whack it until it's flat. The passages behind the cores are the idle capillaries and they clog real easily. If that and the idle/air jets aren't perfectly clean you'll get the symptoms you describe.