1982 2 stroke 40hp mercury flywheeel adjustment problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzly83

Recruit
I recently had a problem on my mercury that required me to remove the flywheel for repair and in my hurry to repair the motor I forgot to mark the flywheel for reinstallation. How do i know that i have reinstalled the flywheel correctly? there are no witness marks on the crankshaft itself to line up with the tdc mark on the flywheel so I am not sure what to do here.

jaykibo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1982 2 stroke 40hp mercury flywheeel adjustment problem

I recently had a problem on my mercury that required me to remove the flywheel for repair and in my hurry to repair the motor I forgot to mark the flywheel for reinstallation. How do i know that i have reinstalled the flywheel correctly? there are no witness marks on the crankshaft itself to line up with the tdc mark on the flywheel so I am not sure what to do here.

Hi grizzly, did you get a solution to your problem? I have the same issue with my Mercury/Mariner 50hp 1983. I pulled the flywheel off and didnt mark it.
Yes, I know. Rookie mistake. Oops. Anyone know how to put it back on properly?

Thanks in advance.

sunburnt

Seaman

has 1 key way cant go on any other way! to check tdc when installed will con frim this. bring #1 piston to top of cyl -check with a dail , screw driver, pencil etc.. then should be 0 on fly. if fly was totaly disassembled you may have to reinstall correctly.

jaykibo

Seaman Apprentice

has 1 key way cant go on any other way! to check tdc when installed will con frim this. bring #1 piston to top of cyl -check with a dail , screw driver, pencil etc.. then should be 0 on fly. if fly was totaly disassembled you may have to reinstall correctly.

Thanks sunburnt. Ill do this tonight.
To add, I also removed the stator and trigger assembly. Is there any special way of putting these back in too? Thanks

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Are you the gent who removed the 8 bolts out of the top of the flywheel?

jaykibo

Seaman Apprentice

Are you the gent who removed the 8 bolts out of the top of the flywheel?

Yes, I did. Although I can imagine I wouldnt be the only gent who did this.
My engine spat a rod the other week so I had to do a complete top end rebuild.

poolshark930

Recruit
I did this too. So at tdc on the timing mark should be on zero? Or I read another thread that said 4°. And how do I find top dead center??

The Force power

Commander
I did this too. So at tdc on the timing mark should be on zero? Or I read another thread that said 4°. And how do I find top dead center??

Welcome to IBoats,

When you have a question; click on "new post" and ask away. when you ask in someone else's post it's called "hacking"
(besides this is a very old post)
On the top of the form you'll find yellow sticky-notes that are helpful, please read those before posting.

Now to your question;

insert a screwdriver into #1 spark plug hole and turn the flywheel till the screwdriver is sticking out the most.
This is your top dead center ( TDC )

TDC is NOT your timing mark

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Please start a new thread of your own. This one has been dead for over 8 years.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.