First boat and restoration

hank3rd

Cadet
Hey guys,

I have been reading through some of the restoration threads in hopes of learning from you folks. I recently acquired a 1973 Browning Malibu hull for free. I am going to attempt to restore it so that I can have some fun out on the local lakes in the area.

I had to apply for a title since the hull was considered abandoned since the person who gave it to me did not have a title. The last registrant on record was listed in 1983, so it was not a problem, just that it took almost 3 months. I guess it gave me time to read through some of the great posts here :)

The hull is in good shape, but the deck is rotted and the transom will need repair. I do not have any pics now, but I will post them when I have them! It does not have seats, steering wheel or anything, just a bare hull.

At least my neighbor will be able to help as well, since he completed a project 2 years ago. I will probably have allot of question of the helpful folks here and hope that you all will be easy on me since I am a newbie and do not have my sea legs yet! I want to make sure to restore it correctly so that I will have years of use out of it.

Question:

What size motor would you recommend?

Thanks for reading and helping!

-Hank

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Re: First boat and restoration

Wheres the beef? Pics i mean. You did not really tell us that much about it. Welcome abord! if you want to learn about this stuff, you are in the right place! Big time!!! Once again WELCOME!

hank3rd

Cadet

Hello again everyone. I have not updated this post in a while because I put things on hold. I have a daughter that is turning one this Saturday. That is part of the reason why I did not post since I did not have much time to work on a boat.

I decided to abandon the hull project and found what I think is a good deal this week. I bought a 1985 Bayliner Capri with a trailer for $850. The vessel runs and pretty much is in decent condition. The interior will need some work and the trim motor is not working.

I plan on working on it over the Winter. I will need to add carpet to the floor, repair or replace some of the vynil on the seats and engine cover and I may Paint the trailer. I am going to clean the hull really good and see if I get some shine back.

I also want to make sure the engine is in good shape. What would be the best way for me to start the engine (and run at idle) while it is on land? I was able to see the engine start and run for about 10 seconds, but shut it off as to not damage the engine/prop. I have heard of people using drums or garbage cans for an outboard, but this is an inboard/outboard.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

even 10 seconds with out water could damage the raw water impeller NEVER run it with out water! that being said we need more info #1 what engin size and brand? #2 what out drive? they sell a set of "muffs" that hook to a garden hose that you can slip on the out drive over the raw water intake they sell them at walmart

Fish~n~Chips

Seaman

Nice boat Hank. Have you looked under the deck yet to make sure everything is dry?

~Jason

hank3rd

Cadet

Everything looks and feels solid. I do not think the boat has been in the water for a while. The owner stated he did not have it out this year. He stated that he put a new floor in a few years ago. It looks like it is the wood and it is painted. I may have to glass it in.

As far as the engine running, I could have been exaggerating, the owner turned it over to show me that it would start. Thank you for the information on the muffs. I found them on Walmart's site. I will stop in and see if they have one locally.
Here is what I know so far, it has a Volvo Penta outboard and a Volvo engine. I do not know the size right now, but can get it during daylight hours.

i386

Captain

Everything looks and feels solid. I do not think the boat has been in the water for a while. The owner stated he did not have it out this year. He stated that he put a new floor in a few years ago. It looks like it is the wood and it is painted. I may have to glass it in.

As far as the engine running, I could have been exaggerating, the owner turned it over to show me that it would start. Thank you for the information on the muffs. I found them on Walmart's site. I will stop in and see if they have one locally.
Here is what I know so far, it has a Volvo Penta outboard and a Volvo engine. I do not know the size right now, but can get it during daylight hours.

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but I would check those stringers. If the deck needed replacing, there's a good chance the stringers did too. Lots of folks don't know any better and will slap a new deck over rotting stringers. Even if they only had mild rot they need replacing as wood never stops rotting once it starts. Same goes for the transom.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with the last i started a opening bow project and ended up diong stringers and the whole 9. It is apparent that if the deck is rotted then so is the stringers it is sitting on top of. Most likely, about 90% of the time so is the transom. Especially on that year of bayliner. Though that will be a nice boat when you are done with it. It was bad years for that boat. The hull is great for the design and lines of it though. I have a older sea ray that i thought that all i needed was a new floor. Then i thought i was going to open up the bow. I got to work and it got deeper and deeper and deeper. Next thing i know im taking out foam stringers and all. It happens like that sometimes. Good luck though. You got a hull with good lines and a dry ride if you can make it safe! Good luck!!!

hank3rd

Cadet

he floor and stringers seem to be good. I took up a portion of the floor and it was dry. The last owner used treated plywood and used sealant/paint. I was going to glass in the floor, but my neighbor has the same boat, just that his is a 19' and mine is a 16' and he said he just laid the carpet over the wood. Would this be alright?

I bough muffs for the boat and started the engine. I was able to get it running, but it would run for a minute or two and then stall. At times, I had to pour some gas in the card to get it started and other times, I did not. When I bought the boat, I was told there was no gas in it so I put 5 gallons in it on the way home. I started the engine enough times for the gas to run from the tank to the carb, so I wonder what the issue may be. I am going to change the fuel filter and I also need to get the air cleaner housing. I would think it needs to be enclosed and the filter is there with a plate and the sides are exposed.

On the cover it states Volvo Penta QA125. Is that the engine number that I would use to find parts. Thanks to everyone for their help so far!! I need to see what I can get done in the next week or so, so that I can winterize the engine and start the interior.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

he said he just laid the carpet over the wood. Would this be alright?

abosutly not...!!!!....it will roth the deck in less than 4 years.....

there is a couple of things here........

check the i/o forum for the motor drive problems....

especially the thing that you started the motor before you had the muffs on.....it only takes 3 seconds........and its toast

that is a bayliner capri boat.....doesnt matter what name is on the boat.....

search core sample.....and do some foam samples....and transom samples.....

but you are running a class package with the volvo....

we can walk you right thru this bud.

cheers
oops

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hank what these guys are trying to tell you is Bayliner cut a few corners to keep the price of thier boats down. They never sealed the stringers in the boats so they rot out.If the previous owner changed the deck and not the stringers he just did a patch job on the boat and there is a 99.9% chance the stringers and transom need to be replaced. They could be wrong but Bayliners do have a long and well documented history of rot so you should be very thorough in your inspection of the stringers and transom.The smart thing to do is remove the floor completely and drill into the stringers and transom in several spots and look for wet wood. This needs to be done to the foam as well. There is numerous threads here on the proper way to do this.If you find everything dry and there is no rot it's easy to seal it up again and start the other things you wanted to do. You got a great looking boat with a good engine and drive combo at a good price. If it is repaired properly it will give you many years of enjoyment and the hull will be better than when it was new.

hank3rd

Cadet

I guess I will have a while do look at all of this stuff since it is starting to get cold. I will search for the threads on doing the samples of the floor, stingers and transome. I will report back. I also need to start some engine work and will be looking in those sub forums as well. Thanks for the replies and help and look forward to learning more from everyone.