How do you set breaker points on 35 hp engine?

ShaunR

Recruit
How do you set breaker points on 35 hp Chrysler outboard engine and set gap and how do you check the spark for the plugs? Thank you.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: How do you set breaker points on 35 hp engine?

Please read the processes in a service manual 1st (Clymer recommended), then ask specific questions. Otherwise, it could be too involved depending on your level of experience. Good Luck! JOW

unclepete2o

Cadet

Matchbook cover and a flat head screw driver.

That is the wrong way. Get a manual and a good set of feeler gauges. Setting points has become a lost art. :(

wickware

Lieutenant

ShaunR, I d/n mean any harm being short but that was the best I could do then. Plus, your question is leading me to believe you need to read about the needs then ask specific questions.

1. Your local Library could be a source for an O/B repair manual.

2. Your points might not need adjusting/setting vs cleaning and adjusting if needed.

3. What year is your 35 hp Chrysler? Are you sure you have points?

4. I have a 1970 35 hp Chrysler, the points probably h/n been changed/set but once since 1985 but cleaned and checked the gap when sluggish etc.

5. A spark tester used with the plugs out has been my most accurate tester vs plugs that will test also.

6. I would like to know from the Pros why the tester will easily show a spark when a plug?s hard to see?

7. I attached the type of tester I use but I?m sure there are others at your auto store and etc just as good.

Good Luck! And please reply back . JOW

Attachments

• Spark Tester.jpg
    Spark Tester.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 0

unclepete2o

Cadet

Do you really think thats a bad thing though? I love electronic ignition!

I always keep a small peice of emory paper, a matchbook cover and a screw driver and a small assortment of tools with me at all times. If I have ignition issues, pull the distributor, do some sanding, and im running back to the dock. If electronic ignition dies... well, your just dead. But yet again, I am an old school guy, I am suprised I own a fuel injected vehicle lol.

wickware

Lieutenant

I hear you bman1bpm! I moved to fuel injection and electronic ignition w/o a choice in my cars. I enjoy the technology but know the liabilities. I taught Testing & Tuning in the 1970s using a Sun Engine Analyzer's Methods with the scope, dwell and etc but I taught Backyard Methods also. You need survival skills w/o technology but that is history with some systems. Did you have a puller out there to pull that flywheel? I Thought I was The Last Old School LOL. JOW