1971 evinrude 40hp starter/solenoid problem

Cgr

Recruit
I have a model# 40152G and have been trying to start motor using ignition.When i turned key nothing happened,I have cleaned all connections on solenoid & starter and still nothing.I have jumped the starter from 12v connection on solenoid over to starter and I started the motor.Have also put jump wire from small 3/8 nut above the small letter s on solenoid to the starter,turned ignition key and started the motor.Thought my solenoid was bad so I replaced it with a new one and had exactly the same problem.Don`t know what to do next,please help.::(

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 1971 evinrude 40hp starter/solenoid problem

If the solenoid is new and you are sure it is wired corrrectly the next place to look would be the key switch itself.
If it works then doesn't that makes me think the switch is bad, the good news is they are cheap and easy to replace.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Troubleshoot, troubleshoot, troubleshoot. Stop throwing parts at it and go to Engine FAQs, "Outboard won't start". Do the starter circuit troubleshooting.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Did you use a marine solenoid to replace the old one? If not, and you used an automotive solenoid, you will have problems because the two are not grounded in the same way. The automotive solenoid grounds via the baseplate, while the marine solenoid grounds via one of the small posts on it.

Cgr

Recruit

I did use the proper replacement part [marine].Will try troubleshooting some more.Thanks guys for your help.:)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have a model# 40152G and have been trying to start motor using ignition.When i turned key nothing happened,I have cleaned all connections on solenoid & starter and still nothing.I have jumped the starter from 12v connection on solenoid over to starter and I started the motor.Have also put jump wire from small 3/8 nut above the small letter s on solenoid to the starter,turned ignition key and started the motor.Thought my solenoid was bad so I replaced it with a new one and had exactly the same problem.Don`t know what to do next,please help.::(

"Have also put jump wire from small 3/8 nut above the small letter s on solenoid to the starter,turned ignition key and started the motor."

That part doesn't make sense. Jumping from the battery + cable to the small "S" nut should activate the solenoid and make the starter run. If it doesn't, then the safety switch may be bad. The other small nut is connected to the safety switch which prevents starting with high throttle settings.

If you connect 12 volts to the safety switch by fooling around with improper troubleshooting or otherwise, you will fry the switch in an instant. Same thing if you use the wrong solenoid....guaranteed to fry the safety switch.

White wire coming from the main harness (key switch) goes to the solenoid "S" terminal. The other small nut on solenoid connects to safety switch. Connecting 12V to safety switch will blow it.

Cgr

Recruit

Problem was bad neutral start switch which is connected to small nut on
solenoid.Thanks guys.