58 Johnson 35 RDS-20 Carb rebuild instructions needed

tnltracy

Seaman Apprentice
:confused: Picked up an OEM carb rebuild kit from a local Johnson dealer today. Problem is it did not contain any instructions. Anyone have a copy they can scan and email me?

I have the Clymer manual, but it does not go into detail on the rebuild steps.

Also, where do I get the cleaner stuff to soak the parts in? Auto parts store?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 58 Johnson 35 RDS-20 Carb rebuild instructions needed

Check out Tashasdaddy's sticky at the top of the page. I would reccomend a factory OEM service manual. The 'bathing buckets' are ideal an can be picked up at you local auto parts store.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the only difference is you do not need the special tool, as you have adjustable high speed jets. after cleaning, see Joe Reeves, carb adjustments in the faq forum.

tnltracy

Seaman Apprentice

thanks! I'm wondering if there are carburetor specific instrucitons on where each of the parts I have in the kit will need to go. I'm guessing I'll be going on visual basis and matching new to old.

CATransplant

Admiral

The only factory manual for that engine is the big OMC master manual, which covers every darned thing from 1922 to 1964. It's great, but it's unwieldy and expensive as the dickens. It's carb overhaul section is good, once you find the right carb, but my first time was a bear, even with it in hand.

It's not that it's so difficult, but there are a lot of small parts and gaskets and other pieces. Most folks get pretty confused the first time they tackle one, simple as these carbs are.

An option, and maybe a good one for someone who has never had a carb apart, is to find a friendly shop that will do the job for you. I know we all like to fix our own junk, but it's a fine option, and the tech will know all the tricks of the trade.

In terms of cost, if you add in a bucket of carb cleaner, something to blow air through the passages, and your time, having an experienced tech do it may be the best idea.

If you've already bought the carb kit, just smile and tell them that you did, then decided you didn't have the necessary skills. They'll understand and probably do the job anyhow.

Where I am, there's a retired guy who works on Johnsons and Evinrudes only, and only from 1954 to 1970. He worked all his life on them, and his rates are really reasonable. When I made the usual boneheaded mistake of removing the shift yoke screw, he showed me how to fish it back into position.

I don't know if there's a guy like that in your area, but it's worth looking. Otherwise, if you decide to go this way, find the oldest shop around. It's likely to have a guy working there who has gone through hundreds of those carbs.

tnltracy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks CA. good advice all around. I did find the carb cleaner and will pickup at a local parts store.

I think I'm going to go ahead and tackle this. I have had a few apart in the past and was successful getting them all back running, so I'm confident I won't totally ruin it. I'm also getting digital shots of everythign as I disassemble. I'll report back on how I do!

CATransplant

Admiral

thanks! I'm wondering if there are carburetor specific instrucitons on where each of the parts I have in the kit will need to go. I'm guessing I'll be going on visual basis and matching new to old.

Nope, not short of the factory service manual. If you go it alone, have a nice clean container (I use a glass cake pan) to put parts in as you remove them. If you have a digital camera with close-up capabilities, use it often. Work slowly and make sure you understand what you've removed and what it does and where it goes. Make notes.

If something has a washer or a spring on it, leave it on as you put it in the parts container. Make notes for yourself. Look at each item and match it with a part in the overhaul kit. If it's not in the kit, you are supposed to reuse the old part. There will be parts in the kit you don't use, which is why you need to do this matching as you disassemble. Carb kits always cover more than one model of carburetor. Otherwise, you'll be questioning yourself about some part you can't imagine where it goes.

Do not remove the throttle butterfly or the choke butterfly or their shafts. You'll ruin the screws or the threads in the shafts.

Pay close attention, make notes, take photos, make drawings to help you.

Nothing non-metallic goes in the carburetor cleaner basket. Follow the directions on the carb cleaner bucket closely about how long to soak and how to clean up after soaking. They have it right.

If you don't have an air-compressor, you still need to blow out the passages. At the auto parts store or hardware store, ask for a can of compressed air. It looks like a paint spray can, and has a flexible tube to help direct the flow. These work just fine. It's not actually air, but some other compressed gas, but it's fine.

There are welch plugs ( convex round metal plugs) in your carburetor. They should have replacements in the kit. Often, you can get away without removing these and cleaning the passages they give access to. Sometimes you can't. If you have to remove them, carefully drill a small hole in them, then pop them out with an awl or similar tool. Once you're done cleaning in there, put a new one in place, then seat it with a flat pin punch about 1/3 the diameter of the plug, giving the punch a nice little rap with a hammer. Not too hard. You just want to expand the plug to seal the opening.

You can do it, but you'll have some anxious moments, I promise, if you've never done a carburetor before.

tashasdaddy

i was going to email him the info out of the tenth edition manual, but we have given him, more info than is in the manual. i did get him a diagram.

CATransplant

Admiral

i was going to email him the info out of the tenth edition manual, but we have given him, more info than is in the manual. i did get him a diagram.

The diagram's the most important thing. I do remember sweating bullets when I did mine for the first time. It all worked fine, but I didn't enjoy it much at all. And then, there's the smell of the carb cleaner. That stuff takes forever to get off your hands. I remember that smell on my father, who was an auto mechanic. :D

tnltracy

Seaman Apprentice

You guys deserve great commendation for all of your assistance. I am only hopeful that I can provide such help in the future to others as well. If all goes well, I'll be out on the water over labor day weekend...

CATransplant

Admiral

We all just like to see those 50-year-old johnnyrudes back in the water, doing what they do best. I don't have one of those any more, and it's my loss. So, we're happy to help folks get theirs up and running again.

Wait until you start getting comments about your cool boat and that gold and creme Super Seahorse...and you will. It's amazing how many people like to talk about the old boats and motors. You'll make some new friends at the ramp, I guarantee.

And then, when you launch, and you turn the switch and your RDS-20 burbles into life, you'll know that you made it possible with your own work. There's nothing like it

tashasdaddy

100% agree, warning, it is addictive.

tnltracy

Seaman Apprentice
Here it is:

Here it is:

With all of your help on this, I figure least I can do is show you how it looks:

Missing the logo on this side shown, other side still has the chrome logo. Needs a bit of cleaning which will come as I get it tuned up and ready to go.

Attachments

• IMG_0007-2[1].jpg
    IMG_0007-2[1].jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 0

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Here it is:

With all of your help on this, I figure least I can do is show you how it looks:

Missing the logo on this side shown, other side still has the chrome logo. Needs a bit of cleaning which will come as I get it tuned up and ready to go.

Sweet. I miss mine, now. It's one of the prettiest of the Johnsons, if you ask me. If you put out a call for the logo in the free want ads at www.aomci.org, I bet someone will have one for you. Your photo brings back pleasant memories. Thanks!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Also helps a bunch on any carb project to work on white paper, on a bench with a raised rim/edge. Those little parts like to jump off the bench onto the floor, at least in my shop.

tnltracy

Seaman Apprentice
Yup, it needed a rebuild...

Yup, it needed a rebuild...

Tore the carb down last night and sure enought, right decision. The float was literally 'glued' to the bottom of the bowl. The varnish had softened at some point and then stuck right to it.

Rest of the carb visually looks OK, and is currently soaking in carb cleaner to make sure. Hope to have it cleaned up and re-assembled later today.

Quick question: the carb cleaner says to rinse with water which seems a bad idea. I'm thinking I'll just wipe down outer surfaces and the compressed air will dry the internal orifices. Thoughts?

Oh yea, the carb kit contained a 'bag' of sorts and a couple large round gasket rings, about 1" diameter. Are these items for the fuel pump sediment bowl?

tashasdaddy

Re: Yup, it needed a rebuild...

Re: Yup, it needed a rebuild...

i believe so. yes.

CATransplant

Admiral